IGNORED

This seems to have helped me hit down on the ball...

Note: This thread is 4313 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Clive Scarff

The reason your hips are sliding is because your hands are not releasing. Forget lag (seriously, forget lag) and focus on releasing the clubhead. This will mean a proactive right hand, and allowing your left wrist to fold (as long as you are hitting down at the ball you will NOT need to maintain a flat left wrist - in what other sport on earth do we do this??). This video explains the hands a bit more:

When I said I was sliding my hips, I didn`t mean that this was a bad thing- http://thesandtrap.com/t/29616/the-biggest-secret-slide-your-hips .  I might be off on my terminology, but I was meaning that I was doing a better job of getting my weight over to my front foot by putting a ball farther forward.  Looking at Iacas`s 5 Keys and it seems like one difference between Ams and Pros is that the Pros do a better job of getting their weight forward.  In addition to adding power, I think getting your weight forward is a good way to reduce the number of fat shots you hit and improve contact overall.

Today, I played the ball a bit more forward (especially at the range) and played it normal but pictured a spot in front of the ball at other times.  It was the first day this year I didn`t hit any fat shots and only one thin one- hitting 7 of 9 greens.  I still have work to do, but it was nice making more consistent contact.

FWIW, here is some video I shot a few weeks ago...it is probably helpful to see someone swing to be able to comment on why they are doing something. http://thesandtrap.com/t/58086/my-swing-mefree

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Yes, it is a terminology thing, so thanks for clarifying. Sliding your hips is a bad thing, whereas getting your weight onto your front foot is an excellent thing. I am a huge advocate of playing the ball forward in order to encourage/ensure you do shift your weight to the front foot, so it sound you are on the right track!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Clive Scarff

Yes, it is a terminology thing, so thanks for clarifying. Sliding your hips is a bad thing, whereas getting your weight onto your front foot is an excellent thing. I am a huge advocate of playing the ball forward in order to encourage/ensure you do shift your weight to the front foot, so it sound you are on the right track!

So how do you propose that you get your hips forward without sliding them?

Every pro slides his hips forward. It's not "a bad thing." Though judging by your avatar it appears that you truly believe that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

So how do you propose that you get your hips forward without sliding them?

Every pro slides his hips forward. It's not "a bad thing." Though judging by your avatar it appears that you truly believe that.

Oh Snap!

Sliding the hips towards the target will put the low point of your swing towards the front of the circle just in front of the ball, as long as you maintain lag and slide the hips hitting down on the ball, you should be good to go. I have been working on this myself, but know find I am topping the ball more, but it's unrelated as I need to keepmyheaddowndammit.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Th3R00st3r

Oh Snap!

Sliding the hips towards the target will put the low point of your swing towards the front of the circle just in front of the ball, as long as you maintain lag and slide the hips hitting down on the ball, you should be good to go. I have been working on this myself, but know find I am topping the ball more, but it's unrelated as I need to keepmyheaddowndammit.

I occasionally get the same problem flaring up. Two things that seem to help me are 1) try to see the divot form 2) feel as though I keep my right heel down until after impact, it actually comes up before impact but the feeling helps me, look at Rory's feet in this vid.

I don't know if either of these things will help you, I'm certainly not an instructor but they seem to help me stay down through the shot.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Oh Snap!

I'm slowly getting back in to golf, hitting on mats at the range (haven't played in 11 years), and when I hit fat, it's because I didn't get my hips and weight in front of the ball before contact.  I know this because it always corrects a previous fat shot.

• Administrator

Actually, I'd wager that you need to feel longer, straighter arms and not pull your elbows apart. That's more likely the cause than lifting your head up.

Fat and thin shots are almost always the same thing: low point is too far behind the ball. If your arms are straight you fat it. If you're sick of fatting it you pull your arms apart and thin it.

Anyway, straight arms. You might be used to fatting it, but now with your weight farther forward you don't need to pull your elbows apart to avoid the ground.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Actually, I'd wager that you need to feel longer, straighter arms and not pull your elbows apart. That's more likely the cause than lifting your head up.

Fat and thin shots are almost always the same thing: low point is too far behind the ball. If your arms are straight you fat it. If you're sick of fatting it you pull your arms apart and thin it.

Anyway, straight arms. You might be used to fatting it, but now with your weight farther forward you don't need to pull your elbows apart to avoid the ground.

Thank you very much. I will try this. I was pretending my right arm doesn't bend  on the back swing(though it does about 40°- 45°, used to be a lot more) , so i will try this on the downswing as well. The feeling anyway.

. . . Fat and thin shots are almost always the same thing: low point is too far behind the ball. If your arms are straight you fat it. If you're sick of fatting it you pull your arms apart and thin it. . . .

That's interesting.  Thanks!

Originally Posted by The Tin Man

Shallow fat or deep fat?

I'm gifted and can do both.

Has anyone ever actually seen HH hit a golf ball? Every time I see one of his tips he's all talk and never actually demonstrates the move in real time. Just curious because after watching this vid I did a short youtube search to see if he actually does turn as level / horizontal as he implies in this  lesson and I couldn't find any footage of hime actually hitting the ball.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I think this is good example of how advice doesn't help you if you don't understand what you are doing wrong.  Same problem but you get 2 different suggestions based on details.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Has anyone ever actually seen HH hit a golf ball? Every time I see one of his tips he's all talk and never actually demonstrates the move in real time. Just curious because after watching this vid I did a short youtube search to see if he actually does turn as level/horizontal as he implies in this  lesson and I couldn't find any footage of hime actually hitting the ball.

Originally Posted by x129

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkbg8XZlvT4

I think this is good example of how advice doesn't help you if you don't understand what you are doing wrong.  Same problem but you get 2 different suggestions based on details.

LOL, straight down the middle??? It looked like he pulled the crap outta that ball! Maybe it was a pull fade? Or maybe the camera angle but it sure looked liked it was making a beeline for the trees on the left!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Has anyone ever actually seen HH hit a golf ball? Every time I see one of his tips he's all talk and never actually demonstrates the move in real time. Just curious because after watching this vid I did a short youtube search to see if he actually does turn as level/horizontal as he implies in this  lesson and I couldn't find any footage of hime actually hitting the ball.

I saw him give a lesson to a friend of mine at PGA West years ago, but  I don`t recall if he actually hit any shots himself- my guess is no.

FWIW, I recall that the emphasis of the lesson was on re-routing the club (dropping it inside of the back swing plane on the down swing).  My friend is about a scratch (who had pipe dreams of being a touring pro) and has taken lessons from a lot of top teachers- IMO Haney didn`t really help him much.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by x129

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkbg8XZlvT4

The Devils in those details.  This video has helped me a lot!

I start cold with a steep shallow fat, warm up to a deep fat, and finally get shoulders and hips both moving.

PS: I swam in college under one the Olympic Teams coaches. I have saw him get wet.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

• Administrator

LOL, straight down the middle??? It looked like he pulled the crap outta that ball! Maybe it was a pull fade? Or maybe the camera angle but it sure looked liked it was making a beeline for the trees on the left!

Pull fade. It could end up "straight down the middle" but it didn't travel straight down the middle.

second this. Lots of times the problem is mental - simply not understanding where the low point of the swing should be. practice hitting shots in a fairway bunker with a line drawn in so you can see where your swing is bottoming out. One of the best drills I can think of to improve this skill.

Note: This thread is 4313 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!