IGNORED

Scotty Cameron, whats the big deal?

Note: This thread is 6173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 'big deal' shows up best on the toughest greens, I find my Cameron is just so-so on slow greens, but shines on the fast ones. IMO this is why it has been used so often on Tour. The balance and feel are so good that in the most delicate situations on lightning fast greens it does what you want and comes through time after time.

If you play on slow bumpy greens I don't recommend one, better to use a Two Ball etc.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

(Fourputt and iacas--When you two finish chewing each other up... I have a suggestion. Just take whatever puts the damn ball in the hole. Cheers. )

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I understand how someone might feel the first, but how can you feel the second?

Well, you have your point of view and I have mine. I was just answering the question posed by the OP... I thought that's what he was asking. I'll put it this way. You may see more Scotty's on Tour, but I guarantee that I see more Odyssey's on the courses I play than ANY other brand.... by far. No ball, 2 ball, White Hot, White Steel... I see more of them that any other 2 or 3 brands combined. Mine may be one of the oldest I see, but I fell in love at first putt, and the feeling hasn't diminished in 8 years. I see quite a few Yes putters, and TaylorMade Rossa's, but almost never see a Scotty. I realize that the reason is because of the price, but that is what stops me from ever considering one too. I never intended to imply any sort of snobbery, as that could backfire on me for my $500 driver. I know players that the tag would apply to, but I wasn't intending any such slight here. And as for the driver to putter comparison, I can put the putter back squarely on the ball much more reliably than I can the driver because it's a much shorter and more controlled stroke. I don't have to worry about coming over the top, or blocking, or swaying, or any of the myriad other faults that can creep into a full swing. It's just a simple little back and through... nothing to it with a putter that fits you and feels good. And that is still the real key... the putter needs to just feel good in your hands. It's one of those things that you just know when you've found it, and you can't really describe it to someone who hasn't experienced it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Well, you have your point of view and I have mine. I was just answering the question posed by the OP... I thought that's what he was asking.

No, there's a difference between answering the question for yourself and trying to convince others of your point of view. You went the latter route and tried to convince others that spending money was stupid... for them, and you did so with a tint of anti-snobbery snobbism.

You don't think they're worth it for you. Just leave it at that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've own both a Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport and currently play a Odyssey 2-Ball White Steel. I putted with the Scotty for 6 years and switched to the Odyssey because my hands are a little twitchy and the heavier mallet helped to quell that problem. The second reason behind switching was because of changes in my life (moving, etc), I started playing courses with slower greens. As much as I love my 2-Ball for what it does to help my stroke, the Scotty is the best feeling putter I have ever hit, the crisp feeling when you hit it is incredible, and the finish really inspires confidence when you stand over a putt.

My bag:

Driver: Cobra AMP 9.5 degree w/ GD6 stiff flex shaft

3 Wood: Ping Anser 14.5 degree THC-800 stiff flex shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19 degree Mitsubishi Kiani Blue stiff flex shaft

Irons: Nike Pro Combo Tour 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Wedges: Titleist Bob Vokey 52-8, 56-11 and 60-4

Putter: 2-Ball White Steel, 34" bent 1 degree flat

I'll put it this way. You may see more Scotty's on Tour, but I guarantee that I see more Odyssey's on the courses I play than ANY other brand.... by far. No ball, 2 ball, White Hot, White Steel... I see more of them that any other 2 or 3 brands combined. Mine may be one of the oldest I see, but I fell in love at first putt, and the feeling hasn't diminished in 8 years. I see quite a few Yes putters, and TaylorMade Rossa's, but almost never see a Scotty. I realize that the reason is because of the price, but that is what stops me from ever considering one too. I never intended to imply any sort of snobbery, as that could backfire on me for my $500 driver. I know players that the tag would apply to, but I wasn't intending any such slight here.

This probably has more to do with marketing and economics and less about one putter being better then another. Pros in general don't have an economic limitation when it comes to equipement, so they can play whatever they want and chances are the putter they use isn't even one you can find on a store rack.

How many Scotty Cameron ads you see on The Golf Channel or in Golf Digest vs. how may Oddysey or any other putter manufactures? How many of the general golfing public even know who or what a Scotty Cameron is? Just because you see more Honda Civic on the road does that mean they are the best car in the world? No, they may be the best car in the world at the price point or catagory but how can you compare a Civic to even say an Accord? Are the Civic and the Accord going to get you form point A to point B? Of course, but how you get there has as much to do with it as just getting there.

• 2 weeks later...
OK.. I hate to revive an old thread, but I have to. I have used just about every putter on the block, always saying the Scotty was all hype. Low and behold, I gt a Scotty the other day and all I can say is WOW!!! Played 18 today with 26 putts.

There is something to a solid putter and I think the Scotty is the most solid I have ever used. Well worth the money for me..

Mike

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg
Vokey 59 deg Studio Newport 2 HX Tour 56

Here's my opinion and that's just what it is. In regards to the original post, Scotty's putters are far and away better than Spaulding putters (IMHO). There is a vast difference in craftsmanship, balance, and weighting between them. A lot of people are pretty picky when it comes to putters because, as someone pointed out, confidence is needed on putting greens.

I recently put my beat up Newport 2 back in the bag and I really have enjoyed it and putted much better with it than my other putter (Yes! Olivia). Distance control has been especially good.

As a side note I think that the most important things to consider in putters are: Swingweight, length, loft, and lie. Contorting oneself around a misfit putter is a great way to put more points on the board.

There are quite a few great putter makers out there and Scotty is up there at the top somewhere.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Couple of quick points...

I checked the BLS calculator and $200 in 1962 is $1368.78 today. Now that is an expensive putter

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

$150-$300, is really not that big of a difference when you look at the overall money each and every one of us truly spends on golf, even the most frugal. Anyway, it only sounds expensive as a one time purchase, but how often do you use it, and don't look at it from a one round perspective. How many rounds do you play, you can amortize any club in your bag to pennies per shot provided you are not changing clubs every year. Also how much longer do you keep a good putter over a good driver--I gotta believe drivers tend to give golfers the upgrade itch more often.

It really comes down to whether or not you like the putter, it feels good, and gives you some confidence when standing over that five foot downhill put with an indeterminate break from left to right .

I currently put with an Odyssey 3-ball SRT, why, cause it feels good and I can make puts with it, however, sometimes putting with a waffle iron is not that appeasing to my eye, therefore I recently bought a scotty newport off of ebay (got into a little bidding war at the end unfortunately) but I plan to start practicing with it more often and eventually send it off to the custom shop to have it refinished, shortened and have a new grip put on. I like both putters and while I have not taken the scotty to the course (mainly the grip is shot & and I have been putting good with the waffle iron), it feels good when I practice with it at home. I plan to keep both putters, so if one decides to get finiky I can change the pace.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

The 'big deal' shows up best on the toughest greens, I find my Cameron is just so-so on slow greens, but shines on the fast ones....

I agree 100%. When I play on really slow greens, I leave my Camerons at home and use my old childhood Ram Zebra mallet putter.

In my bag
Driver: Burner 460 9.5°
Fairway: V-Steel 15°
Utility: Rescue Dual 16°, 22°
Irons: 755 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM 56°, SM 64°Putter: Newport 2 Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1

It's rare to see me putting with anything BUT a Scotty Cameron putter, not because of name but because

Erik,

This is a very bold statement considering the fact that his best selling putters are carbon copies (no pun intended) of a true innovator, Karsten Solheim. The Circa 62 line is a shocking ripoff of Truett P. Mills classic design and look (right down to the circle stamp sight dot). No doubt Camerons are good quality, but there are plenty of other great putter designers out there producing better products for less money.

I haven't gotten the chance to use a scotty cameron yet, but let me tell you, to convince to me that it is worth $300 it better make my putts and shine my shoes.

I've hit almost all the Scotty Cameron putters, my friends have them, but I still do not understand what the big deal is about them. Is it just a marketing ploy to make us "think" they are worth $300. I'll take my spaulding putter over one any day, thoughts?

Scottys are like a Mercedes ,or Rolex, or fine wines, Once you get there you'll know why they are worth it.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

• Administrator
This is a very bold statement considering the fact that his best selling putters are carbon copies (no pun intended) of a true innovator, Karsten Solheim.

They weren't carbon copies (they were close), but that was a while back, too. I'm talking about putters like the Red X, the Futura, the Futura Mallet, the Detour, and so on.

Virtually every "mainstream" putter can be traced back to three or four predecessors - the Anser is one of them. The Bullseye may be another. Scotty does good work beyond the classic models. And, I should note, I've never used any of Scotty's more traditional models. I came from the Ray Cook M1-X to the Red X.
No doubt Camerons are good quality, but there are plenty of other great putter designers out there producing better products for less money.

So sez you. I haven't seen these "better" products anywhere. Again, that's your opinion, and I have mine.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am with you on this one Erik.. I would like to find that "better" product for less money. Let's take the money out of it.. If there were a "better" putter on the market, the majority of pro's would use it. Scotty already has 18 wins on professional tours this year alone.

Cheaper, yes... Better, no way!!

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg
Vokey 59 deg Studio Newport 2 HX Tour 56

• Administrator
I am with you on this one Erik.. I would like to find that "better" product for less money. Let's take the money out of it.. If there were a "better" putter on the market, the majority of pro's would use it. Scotty already has 18 wins on professional tours this year alone.

Well I agree that better is a matter of taste. It's an opinion. For example, some people really like those White Hot insert putters. I can't stand 'em. Since Scotty doesn't make any putters like that, they may think those are "better." I don't.

I believe you get what you pay for. There are really very few "bargains" out there. You pay a little extra just for the "name" Scotty Cameron, but I've always liked how his putters feel, perform, and look, so it's worth it. Especially when you consider how many putts you take in a normal round.

mike_pinto,

Tour counts are the WORST way to go about finding equipment for yourself. If Scotty was going to fly you out to California for the weekend, analyze your stroke from every conceivable angle, then sit there and build your putter by hand to your exact specs and desires, then you'd probably play his putters too. Don't get me wrong, his customs and Tour putters are great. I've got a custom oil can 009 which I love, the craftsmanship is quite nice and very well done. But you're not getting anywhere near that quality at the retail level. The fact is guys like David Mills, Dave Billings, and Byron Morgan are making better quality putters with the same attention to detail Scotty puts into his Tour putters for less than Scotty's retail models. David Mills hand welds every neck to his retail putters by himself, and his putters retail for $250. Give them a try, you might be surprised at what you find.

Note: This thread is 6173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!