IGNORED

Handicap Index

i-Guy
Note: This thread is 5917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How is your Handicap Index calculated?

• Official USGA Calculation
    • Your own calculation based on understanding of the USGA index system
    • Average score over Par for each course played?
    • Some other way?

Well handicap is based of the best you can perform, not an overall average.

Correct. The USGA has attempted to design a system that relates to a golfers potential. Which brings up another question related to Handicaps. How many of you follow the

"Equitable Stroke Method" when calculating your handicap. This relates to cauclating your course handicap prior to posting your score for handicap purposes. NOTE: An online system (GHIN, etc...) will not adjust for the equitable stroke method. You have to apply it to your round prior to entering your scores. This method is again designed to have your handicap match your potential.

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
How many of you follow the

I do.

An online system (GHIN, etc...) will not adjust for the equitable stroke method. You have to apply it to your round prior to entering your scores. This method is again designed to have your handicap match your potential.

I enter the adjusted score (though I rarely make triple bogey, so I don't know when the last time I had to adjust anything was...) in the GHIN system (either online or at my club). After all, without hole-by-hole scores it can't adjust anything.

In my software, Scorecard , (soon available for Windows), I enter the raw scores. ESC is automatically applied.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Correct. The USGA has attempted to design a system that relates to a golfers potential. Which brings up another question related to Handicaps. How many of you follow the

I belong to a local club that registers USGA handicaps through the

National Golf Network . I post my scores online, and can print my handicap card and scoring record from the website. And yes, I use ESC religiously. I know what my course handicap is before I play, so I keep my gross score, and then review my card prior to posting and make any adjustments.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

The ESC you are talking about is what the USGA enacted in 1990 where certain handicaps can only take X amount of strokes on a hole correct? What about I am trying to get an offical handicap this year and i want to use the ESC to get it, what should i cut my stroke limit too? I shoot in the Low 90's high 80's.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

After all, without hole-by-hole scores it can't adjust anything.

Good point and yes I would think once you have an established handicap (so a course handicap can be calculated) then a program should be able to employ ESC as long as you enter your score for each hole. And of course the pertinent course information "Slope and Rating"...

The ESC you are talking about is what the USGA enacted in 1990 where certain handicaps can only take X amount of strokes on a hole correct? What about I am trying to get an offical handicap this year and i want to use the ESC to get it, what should i cut my stroke limit too? I shoot in the Low 90's high 80's.

Up to an 18 cap you can submit 7 as the highest hole score, above 18 I believe that you can start submitting 8's.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I threw out the low rounds at a real easy goat farm (63/100, 2500-something yards), re-calculated throwing out my blowup holes (a few 12's and the like), and did the math myself this time. I think I got it right.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I don't see how you can't have a USGA/GHIN handicap. Almost every course has a computer for it around here. If you play a certain course alot pay them the $10 and start posting.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

A USGA/GHIN handicap is ultimately the way to go if you are serious about your golf game in my opinion. I mean, I just got my official one last year and started posting scores and it has honestly helped my game. First of all, if you are serious, you make every shot count because who wants a high score (unless you're sand-bagging..haha). Second of all, it gives you something to stride for and then when somebody asks you, "Whats your handicap"...you can have the best answer available. No guessing (cheating).

In The Bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad 460 9.5
3 Wood: G5 w/ Graffaloy Pro Launch Stiff
3-PW: MP60's Wedges: Black Pearl 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot #4Ball: Pro V1

A USGA/GHIN handicap is ultimately the way to go if you are serious about your golf game in my opinion. I mean, I just got my official one last year and started posting scores and it has honestly helped my game. First of all, if you are serious, you make every shot count because who wants a high score (unless you're sand-bagging..haha). Second of all, it gives you something to stride for and then when somebody asks you, "Whats your handicap"...you can have the best answer available. No guessing (cheating).

Great points...I agree completely...

Get them to recognize a round of fewer than 13 holes, and I'd agree completely. 40% of all rounds played in the U.S. are 9-hole rounds. That's a huge pool of rounds to ignore. And their database is woeful on 9-hole ratings - at least around here.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

Get them to recognize a round of fewer than 13 holes, and I'd agree completely. 40% of all rounds played in the U.S. are 9-hole rounds. That's a huge pool of rounds to ignore. And their database is woeful on 9-hole ratings - at least around here.

I agree. I play a full round maybe once every 2 weeks typically. I do have like 3-4 9 hole rounds a week though.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

It isn't the USGA's fault if your course isn't rated, and it isn't the 9 hole factor either. My home courses are an 18 hole par 72 and a 9 hole executive par 32. On the 18 hole course, both the front and back 9's are rated for 9 hole play, and the Execuive course is also fully rated and sloped by the Colorado Golf Association (a USGA Member orgnaization). I don't know if there is a charge for getting a course rated for handicap purposes, but if so it can't be much. My home course is a municipal facility that doesn't have unlimited funds to throw around. As far as I know, all the course has to do apply for a rating team to come out and do the evaluation.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I use Erik's Scorecard software. I was using an online tracking system for a while, but I was lured by the incredible fame of being a beta tester for Scorecard and have stuck with it.

I do wish it had some graphing capabilities, but that is the only drawback I see with it. The stats it keeps are really nice and have helped me improve my game quite a bit (just broke 80 for the first time this past week, though I hover right over 80 most days). Knowing where I'm dropping strokes is the key.

If you have a Mac, you should download it and try it out.

Burner 10.5° (Mitsu Fubuki 63TPR)
QuadPro 13° 3W (ProForce65 S-flex)
Snake Eyes Viper450 22° 7W (ProForce75 S-flex)
755 forged (Tri-Spec stiff)
Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56°/10° Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 62°/4° i-Series Half Moon Tour B330

• Administrator
If you have a Mac, you should download it and try it out.

The Windows version is in private beta testing now and will be available for public beta testing soon.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Windows version is in private beta testing now and will be available for public beta testing soon.

Erik,

If you are looking for testers, I'd love to try it out.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• Administrator
Erik,

We will be. I'll let y'all know. It's been a long time coming, but knock on wood, we should be there soon.

Note: This thread is 5917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!