IGNORED

Tiger's Pre-Tourney Video Q&A

BallStriker
Note: This thread is 4378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well the only negative I see (for him that is) is that he's angering pretty much every golf writer out there.  Regardless of how useless those guys are, it's probably not a great idea.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Well the only negative I see (for him that is) is that he's angering pretty much every golf writer out there.  Regardless of how useless those guys are, it's probably not a great idea.

How come? They can still access his videos. Looking at his past two years, how much worse can it get?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Zeph

How come? They can still access his videos. Looking at his past two years, how much worse can it get?

Most of the golf writers have him on blast right now.  Probably can't get much worse, but it seems he's getting more negative publicity right now because these writers are throwing fits than if he would have just sat down and given canned responses to their dumb questions.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Most of the golf writers have him on blast right now.  Probably can't get much worse, but it seems he's getting more negative publicity right now because these writers are throwing fits than if he would have just sat down and given canned responses to their dumb questions.

This move by Tiger was equal parts fan interaction and a big F-U to the media.  Personally, I like the latter...

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I thought Rex Hoggard of The Golf Channel had a pretty fair and balanced take on this move by Tiger.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/rex-hoggard/waiting-on-woods/

Quote:

More so than any other golfer, Woods has endured far more than his share of media slings and arrows over the years. He wasn’t always entirely forthcoming, and it’s not a stretch to suggest that his oft-frosty relationship with the press was economically motivated.

But on this, Woods’ record is clear. Dating back to the 1996 U.S. Open, there are 1,076 transcripts of Woods' Q&As;, and that’s not counting the endless television, radio and undocumented print interviews.

But still, he did it, over and over again. At least until this strangely steamy Tuesday.

Quote:

Perhaps this is the new normal, a transformed reality for a player that has won once since the 2009 BMW Championship. There are 15 2012 Tour winners in this week’s field, and just four were called to the press center for pre-tournament meet-and-greets at Quail Hollow.

It’s worth noting that no one was clamoring for Justin Rose, who won the last World Golf Championship. No one spent the day pining for Kyle Stanley, whose bounce back victory at the Waste Management Phoenix Open was nothing short of storybook.

To hold Woods to a higher standard at this juncture, is simply not fair. We can always expect more from Woods, but that doesn’t mean he has to comply.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

The internet video was mildly interesting to watch but mostly a puff piece on questions selected by TW on matters he felt comfortable discussing.  Not so englightening really.  Such a session is totally different from a Q&A; session with professional golf journalists, at least some of whom will ask probing questions of the kind that many people would like to hear the answers to.  Others will be asking the same old personal questions that he dislikes hearing.  Of course it's up to Tiger to answer directly or to come up with some sort of brush-off, which he has done in the past.  I don't have any problem with that up to a point, we learn something right there if he chooses to ignore or sidestep a question.

Why not just say, when appropriate, "I've addressed this question before, I suggest you look up the answer I gave then.  My answer has not changed.  Next question ......"

My understanding is that TW will continue to do interviews, he just chose to forego this particular one and I suppose may do so again on occasion, depending.  I think it would be very ill-advised for him to cease to give Q&A; sessions entirely but I sincerely doubt this will happen.  Too self-destructive and not in his financial interest imo.

Who is advising TW on this sort of thing?  Steinberg I suppose, but who else?

If Tiger wants to criticize (or "dis") the media to some extent, what better way than directly, to a bunch of media folks in a Q&A; session?  He would need to prepare carefully for this and make his points judiciously but he would have the support of many imo, including some of his critics.  I mean, who is going to defend the media in all of its excesses etc etc?  What I'm suggesting is that the shoe could be placed on the other foot (or the glove on the other hand, whatever).

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I thought Rex Hoggard of The Golf Channel had a pretty fair and balanced take on this move by Tiger. [URL=http://www.golfchannel.com/news/rex-hoggard/waiting-on-woods/]http://www.golfchannel.com/news/rex-hoggard/waiting-on-woods/[/URL]

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that so few golfers were asked to a pre-event presser. I finally got around to watching yesterday's Golf Central on DVR, and Alex Miceli, of all people, was pontificating on what a huge mistake Tiger's fan-QA was, because people are more interested in the questions reporters ask Tiger. Can anyone tell me where he buys his weed?

Originally Posted by brocks

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that so few golfers were asked to a pre-event presser.

I finally got around to watching yesterday's Golf Central on DVR, and Alex Miceli, of all people, was pontificating on what a huge mistake Tiger's fan-QA was, because people are more interested in the questions reporters ask Tiger.

Can anyone tell me where he buys his weed?

I was also surprised at how few did them.

The very definition of irony is Miceli complaining about Tiger not doing a presser when he was a major reason IMO, for why Tiger did what he did.  The lamestream media is going to run into this kind of thing more and more, and not just in sports, as people in the public eye start sidestepping them and going directly to the public.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I agree. There are more and more options to the lamestream media these days - thank goodness.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 4378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!