• Announcements

    • iacas

      Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

      Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carpediem4300

Flipping = ballooning?

33 posts in this topic

Just wondering if flipping at impact could cause me to slide the club under the ball and loose alot of distance?

I go through phases of nice shallow divots and good accuracy/distance,...to no divots and loss of distance/accuracy

goign to read the flipping at impact master thread shortly once work is finished,...

PS: I also blade alot of chips if i dont get my hands ahead of the clubhead

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

Just wondering if flipping at impact could cause me to slide the club under the ball and loose alot of distance?

Yes.

You'll know this if you really start to balloon the ball with, say, your gap/lob wedge on a full swing, and have very big gaps in between your 9i and PW or PW and GW.

Brandon

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flipping would most certainly cause that.  Have you seen Brian Manzella's web video "Confessions of a Former Flipper"?  It's worth watching.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this occurred yesterday there's a distinct possibility you and I are twin brothers. Yesterday around half of the shots I hit ballooned to a LOT higher than normal (i.e. twice as high sometimes) however I was only losing around 10 yards. For me I absolutely definitely wasn't flipping so I put it down to wind above the tree line.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Yes.

You'll know this if you really start to balloon the ball with, say, your gap/lob wedge on a full swing, and have very big gaps in between your 9i and PW or PW and GW.

Brandon

YES!!!!! more prominent when hitting off mats at the range, but still an issue off the turf,...and yes gaps between wedges becomes silly, somedays when i start ballooning shots my LW distances gof rom 70-80yards down to 40-50 yards

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Flipping would most certainly cause that.  Have you seen Brian Manzella's web video "Confessions of a Former Flipper"?  It's worth watching.

no not yet, is it free to watch?

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

If this occurred yesterday there's a distinct possibility you and I are twin brothers. Yesterday around half of the shots I hit ballooned to a LOT higher than normal (i.e. twice as high sometimes) however I was only losing around 10 yards. For me I absolutely definitely wasn't flipping so I put it down to wind above the tree line.

haha incidentally yesterday was "blade every other chip day",.....the session from monday was a mixture of bladed chips and ballooned irons

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

YES!!!!! more prominent when hitting off mats at the range, but still an issue off the turf,...and yes gaps between wedges becomes silly, somedays when i start ballooning shots my LW distances gof rom 70-80yards down to 40-50 yards

no not yet, is it free to watch?

haha incidentally yesterday was "blade every other chip day",.....the session from monday was a mixture of bladed chips and ballooned irons

I think it costs $10 (US) to download.  The video basically discusses how he used to be a flipper and what he did to overcome it.  Talks about training your body pivot as the engine for your golf swing.  The major drill it suggests is taking a 6,7, or 8 iron and hitting less than 100 yard shots with the ball way up in your stance.  Basically moving your swing bottom forward.  It's difficult to hit down on a ball if you're not pivoting correctly and flipping the club as a compensation.  I've spent hours doing this drill, when I eventually move the ball back to the proper place in my stance I see a noticeable difference.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flipping does cause ballooning if you get your weight to your front foot..

I notice when i ballooon the ball my upper center doesn't fall back, but i flip, this causes alot of back spin for me. If my upper center falls backwards a bit in the backswing, then if i flip i hit with a more upward or level blow and the ball will just go high, but not balloon, just a higher and slighly shorter version of my drive. When i get my swing path good, and my weight forward, and a good release then i hit drives that have a really good flight path, that can cut through the wind and not get pushed around, that don't balloon, very low spin..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

If this occurred yesterday there's a distinct possibility you and I are twin brothers. Yesterday around half of the shots I hit ballooned to a LOT higher than normal (i.e. twice as high sometimes) however I was only losing around 10 yards. For me I absolutely definitely wasn't flipping so I put it down to wind above the tree line.

Sounds like "famous last words"! How do you know that you "absolutely definitely weren't flipping"?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I think it costs $10 (US) to download.  The video basically discusses how he used to be a flipper and what he did to overcome it.  Talks about training your body pivot as the engine for your golf swing.  The major drill it suggests is taking a 6,7, or 8 iron and hitting less than 100 yard shots with the ball way up in your stance.  Basically moving your swing bottom forward.  It's difficult to hit down on a ball if you're not pivoting correctly and flipping the club as a compensation.  I've spent hours doing this drill, when I eventually move the ball back to the proper place in my stance I see a noticeable difference.

sounds like a drill i could use later,...its soemthing that comes and goes but pretty much "stays" with the wedges haha

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

sounds like a drill i could use later,...its soemthing that comes and goes but pretty much "stays" with the wedges haha

When I used to flip, I hit my driver and longer irons straight, high and long.  I had very poor results with my shorter irons and wedges though.  Also, I'd have days where my timing was off and I'd play like garbage.  I had the shanks when I was younger and self medicated by flipping the club instead of fixing my swing path.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

haha i had a bout of the shanks last year,....completely remodelled my swing with lessons and havent shanked one since (touch wood)

im not sure if i am flipping,...i know im flipping when i blade my chips,.....so guess it could be a factor in my irons also,...

my bad iron miss at the minute is either a straight up balloon or low fizzing pull slice

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

haha i had a bout of the shanks last year,....completely remodelled my swing with lessons and havent shanked one since (touch wood)

im not sure if i am flipping,...i know im flipping when i blade my chips,.....so guess it could be a factor in my irons also,...

my bad iron miss at the minute is either a straight up balloon or low fizzing pull slice

My flipping was caused by an over active right hand.  I do drills where I take the club back with both hands and then let my right hand completely come off the club right before impact.  I find it very difficult to solidly strike the ball if I'm flipping with this drill.  I do it until I'm hitting the ball solid and low, then I put both hands back on the club and usually my shots improve.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

If this occurred yesterday there's a distinct possibility you and I are twin brothers. Yesterday around half of the shots I hit ballooned to a LOT higher than normal (i.e. twice as high sometimes) however I was only losing around 10 yards. For me I absolutely definitely wasn't flipping so I put it down to wind above the tree line.

Sounds like "famous last words"! How do you know that you "absolutely definitely weren't flipping"?

Because I had my gorillapod on my trolley and was videoing various swings (the course was announced as closed for the day but it opened late afternoon and was empty except for me) :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Because I had my gorillapod on my trolley and was videoing various swings (the course was announced as closed for the day but it opened late afternoon and was empty except for me) :)

Well then I believe you I thought it was one of those optimistic assumptions people make. Played with a buddy last week, after hitting his 5th sliced drive in a row he turn to me and said, "I don't understand, my clubpath was perfect on that one...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Heh always the way. I do occasionally make assumptions about shots but they're normally backed up by thinking, "feel isnt real Dave. You dont know for sure" :)
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flipping causes me to hit low shots that go to the left.  Ive been working lately on holding the angle and maintain lag and its been helping.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm varied session at the range,....still ballooning shots, had a few shanks, lots of pulled shots and pull slices, and my left knee is killing me strangely Strangely i practiced hinge and hold on chipping and did alright, only bladed one of twenty chips
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

Hmm varied session at the range,....still ballooning shots, had a few shanks, lots of pulled shots and pull slices, and my left knee is killing me strangely

Strangely i practiced hinge and hold on chipping and did alright, only bladed one of twenty chips

You coming in steep on it?  On your backswing are you taking it back low and slow, or are you picking the club up and setting your wrists really early?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • I too, have difficulty understanding what is being asked.  Down - obviously Towards the ball - obviously A thought I often use is "point your lead shoulder at the ball" on the backswing. The caveat being, don't get overly steep with your shoulder plane.  
    • Just curious.   I've been watching some of the videos by Mark Crossfield and other youtube pro's and there is an argument to how much shaft stiffness truly matters.  Obviously too whippy is gonna lead to inconsistent strikes and dispersion.  I'm a S stiff guy, like I'm sure a lot of us amateurs are, but what makes these pro's need and prefer X?  Is it all the dispersion?  Because it can't be swing speed.  Bernhard Langer, Tom Gillis and all these guys on the champions tours still swing X even with decreasing swing speeds compared to the younger pro's.  So why is it?   And also are there any pro's that choose to swing a S or R flex and why? 
    • I get what you're saying @Vinsk ... but there might be a little more to it that we don't know.  Like @iacas said, Ernie thought he incurred a penalty so he assessed one. If I had to guess, there's probably slightly more to it than "it came out too good" because I agree with you on that one ... lies in the rough frequently come out differently than even the pros expect.  But perhaps he was having extra trouble getting it back where it needed to go, and the good result was just the confirmation.
    • Hey everyone,   So I've been really investing some time into this game the past couple years and think (hope, its golf ) that I'm making a breakthrough.  I started playing in high school with buddies where my main purpose was to hit the ball as hard as I could.  I'm a long lanky guy and was routinely out hitting my buddies even though they had much more experience.  Where they were really envious of me is with my driver where I could pound it 265+ even back then.  My irons were hit or miss, literally, where I would get a high flying 165 yd 8 iron and stick the green or duff one 10 feet.  So I've been working on the control game ever since I started taking this game more seriously to no avail.  I was still duffing and on the course I would find my self trying to crush it instead of just make solid contact.     My long sought effort of developing a controlled swing finally started to click at the range the other day.  One thing I had to continually fight myself on was coming out of my front foot.  I guess to hit it far I would do the jump out of my shoes like Justin Thomas, except without near the control.  I noticed I also tried to help the ball up a lot doing this, so when contact was good I would hit that high flying, but low spinning iron shot.  I was finally able to just roll onto the outside of my left foot without having these anxious spasms right before I hit the ball.  Honestly I think anxiety has a lot to do with golf.  Many of us amateurs don't know how the shot is going to end up.  Hitting a small ball with a big stick leads to a myriad of results and can literally be quite shocking when striking the ball.  I think I'm finally getting over that and losing my little nervous hop right before impact.  I was able to swing and roll through with a solid grip.  That was another thing I would do is release or tense weird areas of my hand when striking.     Its crazy how these little subtleties made such a difference.  While everyone around me was hitting tops and thin shots, I was able to stay cool and composed and struck the ball great!  Decreasing my nervous hop is decreasing my mishits by a large margin.  I'm also way more relaxed in my stance and grip.  I know its golf and this was just a one time thing, but I truly felt it and hoping I can make this change stick.  Hopefully on my way to lower scores 
    • On which tour did you plan on watching him play? I'm pretty sure he's not even a regular player on the Web.com Tour. This is probably a one and done kind of thing. In all honesty he hasn't been that fun to watch. He's not really cranking the drives because he needs to keep them in play and he's clearly not good enough to compete with PGA Tour players. If he wasn't who he was, he wouldn't even be getting air time.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Cwmgr
      Cwmgr
      (40 years old)
    2. Gfleck067
      Gfleck067
      (28 years old)
    3. golf82
      golf82
      (58 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon