IGNORED

Beginner Golfer...Do I need a Sand Wedge or Lob Wedge?

Note: This thread is 4363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Everyone,

What do you guys recommend for a beginner golfer when it comes to buying a sand wedge vs. a lob wedge?  I'm very green, been going to the driving range and playing a few holes for the past 5 months.  Is there a clear wedge that a beginner should start out with?  Thanks in advance.

I'd say have a pitching wedge and sandwedge. The 60* is more of a specialty club imo and you can pretty much do everything you can with a LW with a SW. If you are very new the LW is not necessary and adjusting for it might just be worse than learning to play one club better.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

To play even halfway decent golf you must be able to recover from green side bunkers. A SW makes it much easier. As you improve it is a valuable chipping and pitching club. LW can be added after you are decent with the SW. LW requires extra practice time and beginning golfers usually have so many areas needing attention that extra time is probably not justified. By the time you are skilled enough for a LW you will have a good idea what your wedge preferences are and want something different anyway.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Agree with allin....it is an absolute necessity to have a sand wedge to navigate greenside bunkers as well as chipping and short fairway shots.

Sand wedge, yes.  Lob wedge, not yet.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I'm a HIGH handicapper and i added a 56* nike wedge and I love it. Use it for everything around the green, can't really hit a flop shot with it but I think attempting those kinda of shots at my level is just a recipe for high scores. It is great for chipping and pitching.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually found a LW that was 60 degree with a 6 degree bounce (Honestly, I have no clue what that means, I just read it off the club head, hahaha) in my garage and just came back from the driving range to play with it a bit.

I do get a nice loft with the LW but I would hit it short sometimes.  I would be 50 ft from the hole on the fairway and sometimes I would hit a nice loft and be able to get it on the green but most of the times I would just loft it up and it would land along the fringe of the green.  Would I be able to get loft and more distance with a SW or do I just need to practice with my LW more?

Get a 54* sand wedge. It will have more than 6* bounce (making the club "bounce" instead of dig out of the sand). This 54* club will be useful for many shots as you learn the game.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by BostonSully

I'd say have a pitching wedge and sandwedge. The 60* is more of a specialty club imo and you can pretty much do everything you can with a LW with a SW. If you are very new the LW is not necessary and adjusting for it might just be worse than learning to play one club better.

Pick up a 56* SW. A PW and a SW will be plenty to practice in year 1.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!