IGNORED

14th bag slot, do I need a lob wedge?

Note: This thread is 4374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like my lob wedge and I'll be leaving it in the bag...however I don't tell anyone to get one.

How could I advise someone getting a 60 degree lob when I am trying to get my swing back in tune?

The best advise I can give is, if you are thinking about getting a 14th club, get one that suits your game to shoot better rounds.  If you play within 60 yards quite a bit, maybe get one.  If you play with people and are out practicing say on the driving range, why not ask him/her to borrow it and hit a few balls with it?  That way you don't have to dish out the money for no reason.

If you are not playing around the 60 yard mark that much...why get it?  Wouldn't it be more prudent to get a club that fits your strong points in your game and work on your swing that will give you better scores(being repetitious on purpose)?  If you struggle with your 3 and 4 irons why not maybe get a hybrid?  If you struggle putting, why not look for a new putter?  If you aren't playing in the 60 yard range much and if you work on your swing..do you need a 14th club?

I use it a fair amount simply because I don't get to the green in regulation more times than not and I am too far out to do a little chip and I am not good with the flop shot yet to use with my sand wedge. I have practiced with the 60 degree a lot and I feel comfortable with it.  Sure I have my few bad shots with it, but it is one of my important clubs in my bag for me.

One of my golfing buddies tried to destroy his lob wedge on the 18th hole of a round we played because he could not or wasn't use to hitting it well.  Like you, he played golf for years and never had one and wanted to try it. He is golfs in the 80's and his short game is pretty good.

It is a gamble.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I must be off.  I consider my 54* to be a gap wedge and my 58* to be a sand wedge.  I have 12* of bounce on my 58* and it's fantastic from the sand. ...

One of the wedge OEMs suggested that a low-bounce 58* is a LW, and a high-bounce 58* is a SW. (Can't remember the bounce cut-off)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If it's possible to chip I wouldn't consider using a lob wedge.

A 60 is easier to use then a 64. Both lofts require knowing what lies they work with and don't. A poor shot that turns out OK with a sand wedge with some bounce can be a disaster with a lob wedge.

A few inches here or there in your setup, weight on the wrong leg, a few degrees too open.......

In the rough you can swing under the ball and not move it due to the low bounce. That same low bounce makes it ideal for lifting/picking out of steep hard dirt green side "sand traps."  Yet a soft lob shot requires some grass underneath.

Confusing? This is why the are cheap used.

In this months Golf Digest Bubba says he uses a 64 at 90 yards. That's beyond my comprehension.

PS: They are great for fooling around off course in parks etc.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

Originally Posted by David in FL

If your 54* wedge has the higher bounce and you like it out of the sand, I'd HIGHLY recommend a chipper.  People who don't know any better may tend to chuckle as you when you pull it out, but you'll cut strokes off your game quickly.  I've known some VERY good players that play them.....and they're deadly around the green.

interesting - when I first started, I used a chipper ... so many people on these forums don't like them, I worked on my 9i around the fringe, and have become fairly decent, but I bet I'd be better with a chipper.    Someone of your ability recommending one is eye opening and thought provoking - I may have to revisit the much maligned chipper ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played a round today, It was "one of those rounds" started with a double bogie and the harder I tried the worse I got. Pulled back a shot on number 4 and hacked around for the next 3 hours. At one stage I was thinking about the lob wedge and it occurred to me that the lob tends to get played in desperate circumstances. Sort of the "club of last resort".  Anyway the shot I had was 3 or 4 meters to a deep bunker then 5 meters to the pin, then severely down hill to another bunker. Yep horror shot. So I chipped BACKWARDS then bumped and ran and one putted. I felt like a complete fraud. Any half decent golfer would have pulled the 64 opened it up and landed it 2 feet short and runit up to the pin....and happy endings. Not me though..... ha ha I just copped another bogie and trudged to the next. Anyway Isn't golf a funny game. When you think your round is crap things can turn.  7 over on the front (including the capitulation I mentioned before)........ and 1 over on the back. If only I'd put the 64 in the bag!!!

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

I dont know why people say its too hard to hit. I have used it since i started and have never had problems with it and use it for everything inside of 100. My dad always says "why do you have so many clubs, I used to carry one wedge" well hes right but at the same time i love that 60 degree. So if you can open up your 54 then you may not need one but i try to avoid flops as often as possible. I just use it for all my chipping. its what im most comfortable with. I think the guys name was precise on the first page of this thread but he said get whatever club helps you score best. I think thats the best answer. If you cant think of any gaps in your clubs you would like to fill then go ahead and throw in a lob. If it works great, if not you may need it one day or sell it. You might as well give it a try but personally I love mine.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Note: This thread is 4374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!