IGNORED

I've got a feeling about Rory Mcilroy...

scottyjoe145
Note: This thread is 4282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I'd go out on a limb and say Tiger Woods was about 2 shots better per round better in his prime than he is right now.  If old Tiger showed up he'd dominate today.  And players would be intimidated.

I agree 100%...   he didn't let up when he was in his prime.  Tiger just handed people their asses and walked off with the trophy.  He didn't miss cuts, or puts to win.

On a side note, thanks for missing the cut Rory.  I take the time to toot your horn and this is how you re-pay me...

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

Originally Posted by scottyjoe145

I agree 100%...   he didn't let up when he was in his prime.  Tiger just handed people their asses and walked off with the trophy.  He didn't miss cuts, or puts to win.

On a side note, thanks for missing the cut Rory.  I take the time to toot your horn and this is how you re-pay me...

Rory and Sawgrass don't get on. Not much else you can say, but he missed his first 2 cuts, skipped it last year due to his idiot manager, and missed the cut again. He'll win soon but not at a Pete Dye course. He'll need either a new caddy who knows the course, or a lot of time on the course.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Rory and Sawgrass don't get on. Not much else you can say, but he missed his first 2 cuts, skipped it last year due to his idiot manager, and missed the cut again. He'll win soon but not at a Pete Dye course. He'll need either a new caddy who knows the course, or a lot of time on the course.

I blame a lot of it on Lee Westwood.  I don't like his personality during interviews, his arrogance in the press room, or his negative outlook toward the PGA tour.  He's a real smart ass.  I believe Westwood had more to do with it than Chandler...  but they were both to blame for Rory's misguidance.

I blame a lot of it on Lee Westwood.  I don't like his personality during interviews, his arrogance in the press room, or his negative outlook toward the PGA tour.  He's a real smart ass.  I believe Westwood had more to do with it than Chandler...  but they were both to blame for Rory's misguidance.

You blame Lee Westwood for Rory McIlroy stating Sawgrass (Pete Dye) doesn't suit his eye when playing. WOW!! Maybe he was misguided for not playing last year, but then his record would be 0-4 for playing the weekend instead of 0-3.

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

Originally Posted by the19thhole

You blame Lee Westwood for Rory McIlroy stating Sawgrass (Pete Dye) doesn't suit his eye when playing. WOW!! Maybe he was misguided for not playing last year, but then his record would be 0-4 for playing the weekend instead of 0-3.

I don't think it's about what he said about the course; Chubby Chandler used Lee and Rory to bargain with the PGA. He was showing he can keep his stars on the Euro tour if he wants, and if the PGA wants them to play their events they'd better cut a favorable deal. Big mistake, as Rory has said he regrets not playing over essentially politics. His poor performance on the course is an aside, but he felt skipping those events because of Chandler was poor guidance and not the way Rory wants to compete. Given he likes to take time off, not playing too many events on a weekly basis, but it gives him more preparation time for the bigger ones, more time with family, and a bit more of a level head. But skipping an event like the Players on purpose is a big middle finger to the tour unless he had a good reason.

Westwood is just a bit of a prick, and Scotty was suggesting Rory was taking on his attitude towards the press and the PGA. A bit out of character for Rory, and contrary to what he wants to do with his career. Rory is a bit more independent now and in more control of his career than when he was in his teens.

In My Bag:

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

That is a circular, silly argument.  The reason Tiger had "no" competition was because he was so dominant.  His own greatness destroyed everyone else.  His winning streaks made it impossible for people to compete.  Are you kidding?  You really think Phil Mickelson was worse back then?  Of course not.  He just never won because, well, Tiger won.

If Rory had even 1/4 of the record as Tiger did at this age (he doesn't), you could make the same arguments.  Only one guy can win a golf tournament so the dominance of one individual makes it seem that Tiger didn't have competition, but that is ludicrous.  It seemed that way because he was so dominant.

Rory is a fine player, one of the top five in the world.  He is nowhere close to where Tiger was in 99-04.  There are three or four guys who you would absolutely give even odds to against Rory if a given tournament started tomorrow. and quite a few others juts behind him.  With Tiger, there was nobody else.  Literally nobody else.

Rory is good.  Someday he may be great.  But he is falling *way* behind Tiger's obscene pace.

I agree with your reasoning and much of what you are saying (including the implication that there were lots of good golfers 1996-2009) BUT I do think that a number of factors have contributed to better overall play and a deeper talent pool in professional golf.  Much of this was caused by Tiger himself including:

Tiger`s popularity (& TV) increased exposure and prize money which has encouraged more young athletes to give golf a try world-wide.

Tiger`s image as an athlete also had the some effect- golf seemed more like a sport to the young instead of a past time for old men.

Tiger`s work ethic in the gym encouraged other professionals to get into better shape.

The result of the above is a lot more good athletes competing in professional golf which is why you see guys like Gary Woodland, etc able to carry it 320+.  What is harder for these guys to duplicate was Tiger`s mental game.

Originally Posted by Zwick

Scoring average (adjusted) 2012: 1. Rory: 69.40, 3. Tiger: 69.64

Scoring average (adjusted) 2009: 1. Tiger: 68.05, 2. Stricker: 69.29

Scoring average (adjusted) 2000: 1. Tiger: 67.79, 2. Mickelson: 69.25

--> The other guys didn't get better, Tiger just got about 1-1.5 strokes worse.

Looking PGA TOUR STROKE DIFFERENTIAL FIELD AVERAGE seems to bear this out as well (at least when talking relative to the field but it is still possible that the courses are longer/tougher and that the field has upped their game).

2000 PGA TOUR STROKE DIFFERENTIAL FIELD AVERAGE
Select Year:
Y-T-D statistics through: Through Week Ending: 12-31-2000
RANK
THIS
WEEK
RANK
LAST
WEEK
PLAYER ROUNDS STROKE DIFFERENTIAL PLAYER'S SCORE FIELD AVERAGE SCORE
1 - Tiger Woods 82 +3.84 68.17 72.01
2 - Phil Mickelson 85 +2.17 69.35 71.52
3 - Ernie Els 74 +2.09 69.90 71.99
4 - David Duval 73 +2.08 69.90 71.98

2012 PGA TOUR STROKE DIFFERENTIAL FIELD AVERAGE
Select Year:
Y-T-D statistics through: THE PLAYERS Championship May 13, 2012
RANK
THIS
WEEK
RANK
LAST
WEEK
PLAYER ROUNDS STROKE DIFFERENTIAL PLAYER'S SCORE FIELD AVERAGE SCORE
1 1 Rory McIlroy 24 +2.16 69.83 71.99
T2 999 Ben Curtis 24 +2.06 70.00 72.06
T2 5 Bubba Watson 34 +2.06 69.66 71.72
4 8 Matt Kuchar 40 +2.00 69.86 71.86
5 3 Tiger Woods 27 +1.96 70.16 72.12

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Like Woods, he's got to go back to the first woman.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

That is a circular, silly argument.  The reason Tiger had "no" competition was because he was so dominant.  His own greatness destroyed everyone else.  His winning streaks made it impossible for people to compete.  Are you kidding?  You really think Phil Mickelson was worse back then?  Of course not.  He just never won because, well, Tiger won.

If Rory had even 1/4 of the record as Tiger did at this age (he doesn't), you could make the same arguments.  Only one guy can win a golf tournament so the dominance of one individual makes it seem that Tiger didn't have competition, but that is ludicrous.  It seemed that way because he was so dominant.

Rory is a fine player, one of the top five in the world.  He is nowhere close to where Tiger was in 99-04.  There are three or four guys who you would absolutely give even odds to against Rory if a given tournament started tomorrow. and quite a few others juts behind him.  With Tiger, there was nobody else.  Literally nobody else.

Rory is good.  Someday he may be great.  But he is falling *way* behind Tiger's obscene pace.

I wouldn't say that it's a silly argument that most of the worlds "Elite" players were well into the back nine of their careers when Tiger turned pro.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Read the post...  I blamed them for Rory's misguidance, not his poor play.  LuciusWooding summed it up in his statement that followed your trash.

Read the post...  I blamed them for Rory's misguidance, not his poor play.  LuciusWooding summed it up in his statement that followed your trash.

Oh I get it now. He was misguided into saying that Sawgrass doesn't suit his eye by Chubby and Lee Westwood.

bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

I don't think it's about what he said about the course; Chubby Chandler used Lee and Rory to bargain with the PGA. He was showing he can keep his stars on the Euro tour if he wants, and if the PGA wants them to play their events they'd better cut a favorable deal. Big mistake, as Rory has said he regrets not playing over essentially politics. His poor performance on the course is an aside, but he felt skipping those events because of Chandler was poor guidance and not the way Rory wants to compete. Given he likes to take time off, not playing too many events on a weekly basis, but it gives him more preparation time for the bigger ones, more time with family, and a bit more of a level head. But skipping an event like the Players on purpose is a big middle finger to the tour unless he had a good reason.

Westwood is just a bit of a prick, and Scotty was suggesting Rory was taking on his attitude towards the press and the PGA. A bit out of character for Rory, and contrary to what he wants to do with his career. Rory is a bit more independent now and in more control of his career than when he was in his teens.

Rightly or wrongly Chubby's job is to use the players he represents to cut favourable deals with anyone for the benefit of those players. He is there to maximise their earning potential by whatever means he can. Do I agree with it, well that's another arguement. As it turns out Rory obviously didn't. I'm sure Tiger's (or others) management never used similar tactics to benefit him.

Talking of the Players in particular - what is it with Americans and this tournament, it's not a major. Get over it. Given his record at Sawgrass I'd say he has a very good reason. That was my point, he said it himself at the time that the course doesn't suit him. Oh I forgot he was misguided into saying this.

Rightly or wrongly Chubby's job is to use the players he represents to cut favourable deals with anyone for the benefit of those players. He is there to maximise their earning potential by whatever means he can. Do I agree with it, well that's another arguement. As it turns out Rory obviously didn't. I'm sure Tiger's (or others) management never used similar tactics to benefit him.

Talking of the Players in particular - what is it with Americans and this tournament, it's not a major. Get over it. Given his record at Sawgrass I'd say he has a very good reason. That was my point, he said it himself at the time that the course doesn't suit him. Oh I forgot he was misguided into saying this.

I'd say he was more concerned with himself than the benefit of Rory or Lee. Obviously Rory felt the same way. For one thing, if Chubby wanted Rors and Lee to earn more, why the hell did he have them play on the Euro tour so much? He did it because he was trying to make golf more global since he represents so many international stars. Rory wanted to go compete with the best, not try to steal a few viewers from the PGA tour.

It's the biggest non major event and there's no reason to get over it. Maybe the Ryder Cup is not a major, but it's prestigious and provides players with a legacy. The Players is probably more prestigious than the PGA championship in terms of exposure and building a legacy, the only thing the PGA has going is that it applies for major count. If you gave most players the choice between a win at TPC or a PGA title, sure they'd take the major, but it's the least important major and most players would probably trade 2 PGA titles for a green jacket. I'd say TPC is a pretty big deal given all the international winners: in the last 10 years there have been only 3 American winners and it's the strongest field of any non major event. It's the PGA tour's flagship event.

Rory can say the course doesn't suit his eye without being rude. It's Pete Dye, he could design mini golf courses and still have fewer gimmicks; and he'd get to keep the wooden walls around the edges. He was misguided into skipping the tournament and I don't believe he said he skipped it because he didn't like the course; he still wanted to compete because it's such a big event but his manager used him as a bargaining chip.

In My Bag:

I'd say he was more concerned with himself than the benefit of Rory or Lee. Obviously Rory felt the same way. For one thing, if Chubby wanted Rors and Lee to earn more, why the hell did he have them play on the Euro tour so much? He did it because he was trying to make golf more global since he represents so many international stars. Rory wanted to go compete with the best, not try to steal a few viewers from the PGA tour.

It's the biggest non major event and there's no reason to get over it. Maybe the Ryder Cup is not a major, but it's prestigious and provides players with a legacy. The Players is probably more prestigious than the PGA championship in terms of exposure and building a legacy, the only thing the PGA has going is that it applies for major count. If you gave most players the choice between a win at TPC or a PGA title, sure they'd take the major, but it's the least important major and most players would probably trade 2 PGA titles for a green jacket. I'd say TPC is a pretty big deal given all the international winners: in the last 10 years there have been only 3 American winners and it's the strongest field of any non major event. It's the PGA tour's flagship event.

Rory can say the course doesn't suit his eye without being rude. It's Pete Dye, he could design mini golf courses and still have fewer gimmicks; and he'd get to keep the wooden walls around the edges. He was misguided into skipping the tournament and I don't believe he said he skipped it because he didn't like the course; he still wanted to compete because it's such a big event but his manager used him as a bargaining chip.

I see what you are saying and don't disagree with you. I'm sure Chubby is looking out for himself too. Heck you don't get to be his size without feeding number 1.

I also think the prize money on offer makes The Players a big deal as well. Don't get me wrong I like the tournament, Definitely one I always tune into. Maybe I was wrong to believe what Rory said about not playing there last year.

I'm all for the best players competing against each other on a more regular basis no matter where it is.

Anyway back on topic - I think Rory is a good player with great potential and that's what I believe should be rememered right now. He still has to prove that he will go down as one of the best. Tiger on the other hand has done that and as good as Rory is he is still a maybe.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing about McIlroy that will make it harder for him to earn Tiger-like respect is the fact that he only plays the big events over here.  Take the last 2 weeks for example...  if he were here racking up stats it would only help his image.  I know his home is in another country, but he did commit to playing our tour.  He's only 23, what the hell is he doing right now??  When he plays sporadically it almost comes off as arrogant, to me anyway.  These are your glory years!  I can attest to the injuries this game dishes out and I'm just 30.  He should be taking advantage of his youth and setting the bar right now, IMO.

What does he need the "Tiger-respect" for? I'm happy he don't throw his entire life into the PGA Tour for fame and money. He plays around the world and the golf fans are happy. Not doing himself any favors by missing cuts obviously, but nobody is on top all the time. Rory isn't trying to be Tiger or do what Tiger did. He's playing his game, living his life.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

79 today and MC....ouch. Just goes to show it happens to the best of 'em....he'll get back on the horse and be sharp for the US Open I'm sure!

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

This thread should be closed and archived...for posterity .

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!