IGNORED

My Edel Wedges (Or 'Super Bounce and Why It's Good for You' or 'The Sweet Spot Is Finally in the Right Place!

Note: This thread is 1073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good to hear some negative feedback too.  It's not all roses and sunshine, no matter what product.

Setter, your experiences seem to be in line with what I've read about spinner (rifle or DG) shafts.  Good feel for less than full shots, but take a full swing, and you're basically playing a shaft that's way too soft for you, so it just goes straight up and is very inconsistent in regards to traj and distance.

$180 per wedge is pretty expensive IMO, and it sounds like the fitter really did you a dis-service by not getting you in the right shaft.  Maybe you can get the dealer to change out the shafts for you as a service.

I myself am in the market for some new irons and wedges (well, also a putter, 3 wood, and driver).  Short game is a strength for me, and I happen to have an Edel fitter pretty close by (about 1 hr away, which for California, is nothing).  I was reading on their site the philosophy of using higher bounce, and while doing some research found the topic here.  It makes a lot of sense in theory; we'll see how it does in real life.

I was about to pull the trigger on a set of Miura wedges, but so glad I didn't.  I've never had a wedge fitting, and am really looking forward to it.

BTW I really like how the Edel wedges look from address, thanks for the pics.  Not crazy about the funky customizations you can do, as I like a clean, simple appearance.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Edel recently re-designed their site and you can see wedges, how they can be customized, etc. online.

Check it out: http://edelgolf.com/online-wedge-fitting .

P.S. http://edelgolf.com/find-a-fitter Find a fitter near you, and order through them. MAP is $195 but we at Golf Evolution realize that most people buy wedges three or four at a time... and we'll leave it at that. ;)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Edel recently re-designed their site and you can see wedges, how they can be customized, etc. online.

Check it out: http://edelgolf.com/online-wedge-fitting .

P.S. http://edelgolf.com/find-a-fitter Find a fitter near you, and order through them. MAP is $195 but we at Golf Evolution realize that most people buy wedges three or four at a time... and we'll leave it at that. ;)

The new site looks great... I like that you can customize your wedges right there on the site and see how they would come out.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I like the website...will be moving to CA this summer, and this might be on my Christmas wish list next year!  Start thinking about a 3 wedge + putter package discount deal....

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by iacas

Edel recently re-designed their site.....

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

The new site looks great...

The look of the new site is better, but I really cringe when it says things like:

Too much face rotation with High MOI putters can make for pour putting. The Devicenzo 231 is part of the Torque Balanced Collection that minimizes face rotation.

I don't know if I want "pour" putting or not...does that mean it is fluid?    Also, there are a couple dead ends in the site nav that you can't get out of.  But I do love his putters!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Clambake

The look of the new site is better, but I really cringe when it says things like:

Too much face rotation with High MOI putters can make for pour putting. The Devicenzo 231 is part of the Torque Balanced Collection that minimizes face rotation.

I don't know if I want "pour" putting or not...does that mean it is fluid?    Also, there are a couple dead ends in the site nav that you can't get out of.  But I do love his putters!

I personally think the Devicenzo is a dumb idea.

They based their whole company on the idea that golfers need different hosels, lofts, heads, lines, weights, and so on to line up accurately, and then they say "here's this putter you can buy off the shelf with limited customization."

And I'm an Edel fitter, and I've told them this too. It makes no sense. It seems like stabbing yourself in the back, it goes against their whole core belief system. We don't carry and won't carry the Devicenzos.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree...the Devicenzo seems counter to their whole marketing pitch.

BTW, kudos to Edel's responsiveness on their website issues.   I emailed them to point out the spelling error, and less than 20 minutes later got a response that they changed "pour" to "poor".

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Clambake

BTW, kudos to Edel's responsiveness on their website issues.   I emailed them to point out the spelling error, and less than 20 minutes later got a response that they changed "pour" to "poor".

Cool. Now, back to wedges and why everyone needs more "glide." (bounce) :)

Originally Posted by Righty to Lefty

I hit these wedges right handed and could not believe how impressive they are.  As other's have said the grind helps the club sit very close to the ground yet you really feel the bounce working.  The highest bounce that I hit was 22* and it was awesome so I can't even imagine how good the even higher bounces will play.  They are simply the best wedge I've ever hit by a long shot. I was also told that they will be offered in lefty in February so I will definately be adding these to the bag unless James Patrick starts making wedges in lefty. Great clubs for sure.

What's been Patrick's influence on the Edel Wedge line? Anyone know? Looking at the two designs, they are similar.

Constantine

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

What's been Patrick's influence on the Edel Wedge line? Anyone know? Looking at the two designs, they are similar.

I think they worked together on the prototype but parted ways. Most partnerships aren't meant to work ... or don't work.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 2 weeks later...

Looked through the site... these don't come left handed do they?

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Experienced the Edel Wedge Fitting yesterday with Jon Sinclair (of Sinclair Golf). He has a sweet setup - at the opposite end of the Texas Star Golf Course near DFW, he has two huge garage type doors that open up to the driving range. He also has a grass area for hitting/testing.

I tested the Edels against the Vokey 60-10. The difference was substantial - not only mentally but with consistency. To expose the bounce of the Vokey, you have the leading edge sitting up, daring you to make that delicate pitch - any error and you're toast. Unconsciously, this may cause tension. While I can hit a high pitch with the Vokey, I want to free myself up.

By contrast, the leading edge of the Edel Wedge with the same setup (stance and shaft lean) hugged the ground. The slightly smaller head gave me confidence in terms of playability. If I hit the club fat, as is my norm when warming up, the club was able to glide through the turf keeping the leading edge close to the ground with a good result.

As warm up continued, the Edel (Trapper Grind of 18 degree in the 60 wedge) freed me up - I did not have to worry about being precise - I got away with less than great contact. What that allowed me to do is swing more free and relaxed, so I made better contact as I gained more confidence. I was even hitting high lobs with a 52! These wedges are confidence builders.

To select the grind that fit, Job handed me 3 different grind based on lie board results - the Trapper grind produced the most clean interaction with the ground - no hangups, no diggings, and all glide. We then selected shaft, etc.

When you have the opportunity to test the Edel Wedges, do it.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I have convinced myself that I have to have these wedges.  Reading early posts, it looks like the lefty wedges just hit the market in February.  Do they have all 8 types of Grinds (Sweeper - Digger)?

It sounded like they only had a few options for the lefties which might shy me away until all the grinds are available to give me the exact right wedge for my game.  Any lefties out there get fit for these wedges yet?

Thanks,

SG78

I talked with Edel today, and they said they would have the Trapper, Driver, and Digger (the highest bounce otions)  available in LH in about 4 weeks.  With loft options from 48-64*.  Looks like I have one month to come up with ~$600.

Iacas, on the wedges, do you think this type of wedge fitting is for all levels of players / swings, or should we try to have a fairly replicating swing before a player does this?

Right now I have a motley crew of wedges I'm not particularly attached to and I am interest in a fitting, however I am playing alot and worry I will have a totally different fitting profile when my handicap gets down where i want it (3-4) and i have to go throught he process again?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

Iacas, on the wedges, do you think this type of wedge fitting is for all levels of players / swings, or should we try to have a fairly replicating swing before a player does this?

Right now I have a motley crew of wedges I'm not particularly attached to and I am interest in a fitting, however I am playing alot and worry I will have a totally different fitting profile when my handicap gets down where i want it (3-4) and i have to go throught he process again?

As I've said, everyone has a "fairly replicating swing."

Typically better players require and appreciate more bounce, and poorer players can quite literally become better players by being given more bounce (players tend to flip wedges that have too little bounce to avoid sticking the club in the ground and taking a massive divot).

Originally Posted by shakogolfer78

I talked with Edel today, and they said they would have the Trapper, Driver, and Digger (the highest bounce otions)  available in LH in about 4 weeks.  With loft options from 48-64*.  Looks like I have one month to come up with ~$600.

I was going to spring some pics of mine that are on the way but it seems the cat is out of the bag.  Yup the lefty wedges made it in and mine were built today and will ship tomorrow because I contacted them back in January about  them and kept in contact with the rep. I could only get one set because they said that they only received a limited number so that they could test the grooves and such and make sure everything spec'd out as they wanted.  I have been waiting for these for at least 2 1/2 years so I am ready to finally have wedges that fit my game.  I will report back when I have them in hand!

Note: This thread is 1073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!