IGNORED

Most Overpaid People in Sports

brocks
Note: This thread is 4334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i've never heard anyone say anything positive about Jim Rome - it makes sense, though, that all of his fans/followers would have reservations about expressing their like for him.

It was a limited analogy because it was an attempt to simplify things.

The availability of work for the doctor is a whole lot less limited than the football player's. The doctor can go find a job anywhere on the planet.

The football player has the NFL and a few extra leagues, all of which have an extremely limited number of spots available due to imposed regulations. This exaggerates income.

Not saying the doctor doesn't face limitations, I'm saying the limitations faced by the football player exaggerate his income. Same football player, same skills, less regulations and the player's income drops dramatically. That's not true about most free-market industries (sometimes the opposite is true)

By the way, I'm not insinuating that things aren't working well the way they are, or that something should be done about this. I'm just pointing out why the argument that they are overpaid can easily be made (though yes, it's an argument I buy into).

This list is invalid without Albert Haynesworth's name on it.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let's not forget NFL contracts aren't guaranteed.  There isn't an easy way to verify how much of posted salaries were never collected due to being cut, ala Haynesworth

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by dhanson

i've never heard anyone say anything positive about Jim Rome - it makes sense, though, that all of his fans/followers would have reservations about expressing their like for him.

Then let me be the first. I got hooked on him years ago when he was tape delayed in New York and never miss his TV show and catch him as much as possible during the work day.

I see no reason why his fans would have reservations about expressing their like for him - it's only his callers that cant possibly have jobs, not his fans - remember - less than 0.01% of fans on any talk show actually call in.

With the smackoff tomorrow, I will not be too productive in the afternoon.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I never understood this complaint. Would it be less sad if the owner got another 30 million and the players got 30 million less?

No, but it would be less sad if the players got 30 million less and the ticket prices went down ten bucks. And it would be less sad if the players got 30 million less and the owners didn't push bills through the legislature that forced taxpayers in Walla Walla to pay for a new stadium in Seattle, 260 miles away. And yes, that really happened.

Originally Posted by brocks

No, but it would be less sad if the players got 30 million less and the ticket prices went down ten bucks. And it would be less sad if the players got 30 million less and the owners didn't push bills through the legislature that forced taxpayers in Walla Walla to pay for a new stadium in Seattle, 260 miles away. And yes, that really happened.

Then vote out those that supported it - dont cry about other peoples salaries.

Better yet move to China, Cuba or North Korea - since you  preach communism, maybe you should live in a commie country,.

Once again, dont hate on someone getting paid what someone is willing to pay them, I highly doubt you would turn down 30 mill if someone was actually willing to pay you that amount.

Follow me on twitter

It might be less sad but it's bad business to reduce ticket prices unless your NFL team isn't selling out their home games.  You know all about supply and demand and how it works so no need to say more.

As for the new Seattle stadium, if the good people of Walla Walla got to vote on it, shame on them for approving it.  The Islanders have been trying to get the taxpayers to cover some of the costs for their new arena over the last three years and they have had two different proposals go to vote and were voted down by the locals.  NY might end up losing the Islanders because of this, but in the end, the taxpayers did get a say.  Too many people are indifferent and don't take appropriate action when they need to hoping someone else will do it for them.

Originally Posted by brocks

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by meenman

Then vote out those that supported it - dont cry about other peoples salaries.

Better yet move to China, Cuba or North Korea - since you  preach communism, maybe you should live in a commie country,.

Once again, dont hate on someone getting paid what someone is willing to pay them, I highly doubt you would turn down 30 mill if someone was actually willing to pay you that amount.

So... wait a sec........ if someone has to fork out money to pay for someone else........... he has no right to cry about someone else's pay???

And lol, being against high player pay is the same as being a commie??

And the gem of your post: Who's hating on who??!

You are free to complain all you like, but you have to be willing to take the same medicine you're asking others to take.

If you are being paid by a business your salary and overhead contribute to the cost of whatever product or service your business provides.  If you are paid to build widgets part of the cost of the widget is your salary and overhead.  Are you willing to take a pay cut or reduction in benefits so widgets can cost less?    Someone could be complaining about your high salary driving up the cost of widgets right now.

Originally Posted by Kapanda

So... wait a sec........ if someone has to fork out money to pay for someone else........... he has no right to cry about someone else's pay???

Joe Paradiso

I wouldn't take a pay cut if I was a football player! Let alone a widget maker! unless i didn't have a choice.

And the obvious flaw in your comparison is in saying that because one profession might be overpaid, we can assume all professions are overpaid.

Originally Posted by Kapanda

If you dont vote against the peeps that gave you that tax increase, then you have no reason to whine - it is not the athletes fault that your taxes went up. Once again you are blaming the wrong people.

Thats like me complaining that my tolls went up because they gave you, as a street sweeper, a raise.

Follow me on twitter

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Let's not forget NFL contracts aren't guaranteed.  There isn't an easy way to verify how much of posted salaries were never collected due to being cut, ala Haynesworth

Ah... but the up-front money is his, and if I'm not mistaken, he collected a $60,000,000 check from the Redskins, and then basically took the year off.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by meenman

If you dont vote against the peeps that gave you that tax increase, then you have no reason to whine - it is not the athletes fault that your taxes went up. Once again you are blaming the wrong people.

Thats like me complaining that my tolls went up because they gave you, as a street sweeper, a raise.

True, lot's of people irl do that. But that's not what he did (the poster you quoted).

Nobody here is saying it's the players' fault that they get all that much, but that doesn't mean they aren't getting too much.

True, lot's of people irl do that. But that's not what he did (the poster you quoted). Nobody here is saying it's the players' fault that they get all that much, but that doesn't mean they aren't getting too much.

So if they are getting too much, who should get the cash? The owner who already has billions? The doctor that has nothing to do with the sport because you think he deserves more? The bum who tries to shake me down for change at every traffic light? There is nothing wrong with athletes making millions in a multi-billion dollar industry.

Follow me on twitter

You either agree with/believe in a free market or you don't.  It's pretty simple.  In a free market, people earn what they can based on their demand and earning power.  Bitching about it is ridiculous, imo.

And doctors (since that seems to be the comparison some want to use), btw, can earn money in their profession for 40 years if they want to.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

And as I said your wrong. The average doctor does not make 390k. Go look up what the salaries for Hospitalists, family practice, peds,  internists, psych, urgent car, OBYs and you will see numbers in the 150-250k range in every city in america. Surgeons average up in the 300-600k range but most doctors are not surgeons. Now there are some high end doctors (plastic surgeons, some neuro guys) that push up in the millions but there are not enough of them to bring the average up.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I didn't say average NFL salary I said the average doctor in a major city makes more than 25% - 50% of NFL players.  NFL League minimum for 2012 is $390,000

Note: This thread is 4334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!