IGNORED

Wie almost shoots 88

elivate
Note: This thread is 6190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I personally could care less about Wie.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. If you could care less, that means you care some. How much?

What I do find amusing though is why Nike paid so much so quick. She really hasn't proven herself, but that has already been covered in this thread.

She's huge in Japan and that area. For all we know, she may have already made Nike back their millions. Seriously. Tiger gets 10x what Michelle gets, after all.

Once she stops acting like a child, then Nike and the LPGA should start treating her like a golfer. She "hurt" her wrist running in a park. Funny, I use my legs and feet to run!

She was running backwards (lots of golfers do this - Camilo being one of them, I know for a fact) as training, and she tripped and fell. I'm not doubting the initial injury. I don't think that's in question. She had no reason to miss four months of play if she wasn't injured. The question now is:

a) is she still injured (unlikely, IMHO) b) if she's not, then just what the hell was she doing shooting +14?
No one said there's anything wrong with practicing, it just seems strange given that she "re-injured" her wrist during the round.

Practicing right away seems odd after you "tweak" a wrist. I'd take a few days off.

1.) The biggest difference between Tiger Woods and Michelle Wie is the mindset, whether it be the acutal person or their inner circle and that is simple.

I think it's the dad, so we agree, because I also think the mindset in the Wie Camp is being controlled by B.J.

As I said...
You cannot deny her talent and her ability, but I question her drive.

I too question it, because it seems the stage dad is doing a lot of pushing. I can't remember her having fun on the golf course for the past 2-3 years.

2.) I really question the whole injury thing becuase not only was she out at the range the next morning, but ESPN reported she was at Bulle Rock(??) the site of the McDonald's this week playing a pracitce round!

And looking like a petty, spoiled brat while doing it too. Ignoring her playing partners, sitting down in the fairway, failing to finish holes, not giving a rat's behind about anything.

Anyways, I'm for anything that pisses off Man/Woman Sorenstam.

Ehhh.... That's a topic for another thread and another day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's huge in Japan and that area. For all we know, she may have already made Nike back their millions. Seriously. Tiger gets 10x what Michelle gets, after all.

The biggest in japan is Ai Miyazato. She is often compared to the Michael Jordan of Japanese golf. I am somewhat surprised she hasn't had a bigger impact on the LPGA tour yet in terms of winning

http://www.golfdigest.com/features/i...hurachina.html
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

I'm not a Wie hater, but I think this deal smells funny. Also, the fact that she takes advantage of her non-tour status is crap. She was able to practice there early because the tour has a policy that tour members can't go there early and she did it. They need to change this to tournament participants.

The thing that bugs me is that she's a product of our society...she doesn't need to learn to win because she already is worth millions. it's typical of today's athletes...they don't have this do or die mentality because they don't need it.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

The thing that bugs me is that she's a product of our society...she doesn't need to learn to win because she already is worth millions. it's typical of today's athletes...they don't have this do or die mentality because they don't need it.

I agree with that 100%. Not just golf - every sport. But again, that to me sounds like a complaint for the people giving her millions of dollars, special attention, sponsor exemptions, etc.

You put a camera on a 17 year old long enough they are bound to do something stupid.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

So how many cameras does Michelle have on her? (Thanks to Chandler)
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

From ESPN:

There was also another incident Tuesday in which head LPGA rules official Doug Brecht ordered Wie's mother and father, Bo and B.J., and her physiotherapist off the practice range, citing the LPGA rule that only coaches and caddies are allowed on the range with players. Even though Wie is not a member of the LPGA, she signs a form at each event she plays saying she will abide by tour rules, according to a tour official. That discussion also went less than smoothly, sources said.

Seems like the Wie's just don't get it.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

another fine example of overbearing parents trying to control a kid's life and don't feel they need to live by the rules. She's in a special circumstance, but she needs to abide as if she is a tour player since she almost is. She'll play in most of their tournaments that are major this year.

Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Erik..

I agree with you on most things, but saying that she is huge in Japan is not necessarily the truth. The fact is that most golfers in Japan don't consider her!! I know this because I have been over there for the past couple years. I do have first hand knowledge and I am fluent in Japanese, so I do know what they are saying.

They feel like most Americans do about her. (Note: From the locals I talked to about this subject)
She is a child prodigy in golf!
She is from Hawaii, not Japan! (Big deal for the Japanese folks)
She is a whiner (she's only a kid, so she can be)
She may have a future in golf if led in the right direction.

By the way, Nike is not that popular in Japan for Golf equipment like it is here. The big item products over there are Bridgestone and Mizuno (and subsidiaries from each.. i.e. Tour Stage, etc...). Nor is Michelle. Tiger is actually very much the only reason Nike sells at all over there.

I don't want to start the usual fact finding pi$$ing match we have become accustomed to on these posts, but you always make sure that facts are stated in truth and I'm trying to help out.

I know, I should have said "I couldn't care less"

If she fell running backwards in a park and hurt her wrist, that's sad. She is a professional athlete and can't even run backwards without falling!! I guess coordination and golf aren't that closely related!!
That was just for fun!!

That should stir the pot

Mike

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg
Vokey 59 deg Studio Newport 2 HX Tour 56

Sound Like Annika has a something to say about her, maybe a rivalry will form between Wie and Sorenstam.

Keep it on the short grass.

I will admit that I don't know too much about the relationship between BJ and Michelle, but it kinda sounds like all the child actor stories, like the kid from Home Alone (McCauly Caulkin (SP)). She will probably have a blow up with dad and the fam in the coming years. She has a lot of potential and makes the LPGA more interesting, I mean we actually have six or seven pages of posts regarding the LPGA, which given the reasoning behind the 88 shot rule (posted on different sports sites) is pretty impressive. I hope she competes and learns to loosen up and figures out that she is playing a game for a living, one that she only has to play for and by herself.

She is only a kid, which people say they take into consideration, but I don't think anyone can really assess the position she is in. Can you imagine being in that pressure cooker at age 17, there are very very very few athletes ever in similar positions.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

They feel like most Americans do about her. (Note: From the locals I talked to about this subject)

Also, her parents are Korean, not Japanese, so I'm not sure there is any reason for the Japanese people to be big fans of Korean-Americans.

Until the series of fiascos (fiasco after fiasco after fiasco) in the last week or so, I've pulled for and defended Michelle Wie. No more. After the fiascos involving her "agent", her parents, her refusal to adequately address questions from the media, practicing at Bulle Run a day or two after withdrawing from the Ginn Tribute tourney because of an "injury" & etc., etc., I am now offially pulling for Michelle to post some high numbers today and tomorrow. A WD or MC wouldn't upset me at all.

also, one of the things about this is advice received. When her dad told her to go back to the tee to re-tee that is borderline advice. In a game surrounded by people with high ethics, it seems that if the call was questionable, they wouldn't call it on themselves, but wait for someone to force the issue.

She can be good, without all the outside "help". I think her mentors should stay at home and let her play in the LPGA. The PGA is too tough for seasoned golfers, let alone a teenaged child! I hope she is not screwed-up too bad by the influence she is having to endure.
I really am concerned about her career being totally ruined by money hungry agents and parents.
Golf is tough enough without all the other pressure.

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

Also, maybe she wanted to shoot 90 and end all the BS for a while!

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

What can you say about Nike? Far as I'm concerned, their products are necessarily overpriced because of the loot they pay athletes. No, I don't wanna be like Mike, or Tiger, or Michelle, not that I could. Don't buy their shoes, don't play their clubs. (I do have a Nike ball or two, that I found. :) )

What can you say about Michelle? She's a 6'1" kid, who has a lot of maturing to do in a sport where players often peak in their 30s. If it weren't for the money, I suspect she'd chuck the whole thing. But really, she ought to leave daddy home.

The biggest story in the LPGA over the last year or two is Julieta Granada--not Wie, not Gulbis or Pressel. The second biggest story is Lorena Ochoa. I really think the marketing geniuses missed their mark.

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

there is no doubt in my mind that she pulled out to avoid finishing above 88...the wrist thing is such a joke. i was proud of annika saying that it was disrespectful to withdraw from a tournament (ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE A SPONSOR'S EXEMPTION) and then show up for the mcdonalds the following week. michelle then goes on about how she's been out there for years and people are talking about her negatively behind her back. GEE...I WONDER WHY? could it be because she has not won a single tournament, or maybe it's the fact that SHE IS NOT A MEMBER OF THE LPGA!!!!????

Note: This thread is 6190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!