IGNORED

Who will win the 107th U.S. Open at Oakmont?

i-Guy
Note: This thread is 6185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who will win the 107th U.S. Open at Oakmont???

• Tiger Woods
    • Phil Mickelson
    • Ernie Els
    • Vijay Singh
    • Someone else

I'm going with the Goose

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got together with a few of my buddies and we got a pool going. Every one of us puts 5 dollars in, and picks five golfers. If any of the five golfers we pick gets in the top 10, we give ourselves a number of points inverse to their position. (10th place gets 1 point, 9th place gets 2, and so on). We do that at the end of each day, and after 4 days, most points wins all the cash.

I refused to play unless we took Tiger out of the equation, though. It's annoying when everyone picks Tiger to win, so we take him out of play and force everyone to think more strategically.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

It's a shame Justin Rose hasn't played more recently because he looked very good this year when his back allowed him to play. Furyk is my pick though.

Driver: 905R 9.5° (Titleist Speeder by Fujikura - S)
3-Wood: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce v2 - S)
5-Wood: 909F3 18° (Matrix Ozick - S)
Irons: Amp Irons 4-PW (True Temper Dynalite 90 - S)
Wedges:   Oil Can 248.06, 254.10, 260.04
Putter: White Hot XG #5

Most will say Tiger, but I'm not completely convinced his Liverpool strategy will work at Oakmont. He's not going to get 50 to 70 yards of roll on his 2iron like he did in the British Open. And this course is really long in relation to being a par 70. I think the winner will be the one who has good distance off the tee and obviously accuracy as well!

I would really like to see a guy like Luke Donald win but he's got two strikes against him, one he's not a long hitter, and two he really hasn't done much in majors!

Zach Johnson is another that may not have quite enough length, but if he could putt like he did at Augusta he may have an outside chance!

I'm going with Ratliff Gooseneck,,,I mean Ratief Goosen! He has just enough length and accuracy to handle these type of open venues,,,probably why he has two already!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

It's hard not to take Tiger any week he plays, so like NC Golfer, I'll throw some thoughts on other contenders.

I have a love/ hate relationship with the Furyk pick. True- his "A GAME" screams US Open Champion, but I don't think he has that game going right now.

The Open does not usually allow for the occasional "ex lax" round, thus removing Adam Scott from my consideration.

Vijay is looking older and older every week. 3 years ago I'd say he had a chance, but not now.

I oddly love the Goosen pick. I haven't seen him play much this year, but I can't get this pick out of my gut.

A few picks I also love are Stuart Cink who seems to have his game right, and Justin Rose , who could still putt better than most the field if they reduced the hole size to 2 1/4". Another contender will be Paul Casey , who mashes the ball straight, and apparently loves links courses.
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

I am expecting something steady and hard to beat from the likes of Wetterich, Johnson, Olgivy, O'Hair, Ryan Moore or CHIII - the guys who have have been just a step away from the winner's circle all year. My pick for a surprise is Anthony Kim. Straight and long ... watch Rory Sabbatini.

My sentimental favorite is Monty. I'd really like to see his career capped off with a Major before he retires.

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

My bold prediction: RORY SABATINNI.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I'm going with Ben Curtis. He'll get on one of his in-the-zone tee-to-fairway, fairway-to-green tears and there will be no stopping him. Plus, he'll have on his Steelers attire this week and the crowd will love him.

my vote went to Phil just becuz id really like to see him win this one and get that out of the way.
truthfully tho this weekend is shaping up to be a media craze... think about it, if by chance Phil and Tiger play good and make it into the final round w/ the chance to win you could have Tiger playing for his new born (and we all know he is great when he dedicates a win to a loved one) or you could have Phil pulling it out despite the pain in his wrist (kinda like a brett favre type performance)

In My Bag
Driver: TaylorMade R11 9*

3-Wood: Ping Anser 14.5*
Hybrid: TaylorMade Superfast Burner 18*
Irons: Ping i20 PW - 4

Wedges: Ping Tour Pro Rusty 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Ping Anser

Balls: Titleist Pro-V1s

Sunglasses: Oakley Flak Jacket (golf specific)

Bag: Ping Hoofer

Course: Alliance Country Club

In the Sand Trap Fantasy League, my five players are: Tiger, Zach, Jerry Kelly, Bret Quigley & Mike Weir. My real pick is Tiger since the other four players were picked with the intent of staying within the Salary Cap.

It pains me to admit it wasn't possible for me to select Sergio due to Salary Cap constraints.

Sergio and Monte a combined 15 over today

bwahahahahahahaha

In the bag

909D3 8.5 Matrix Ozik XCon 7 X
Burner TP 14.5 Fujikura RE*AX SF TP 75 X
Idea Pro 20 RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour (2005) 4-PW RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour Chrome Wedges 50 and 54 RP Project X 5.5 X-Tour Vintage 60 w/ PM grind Teryllium Ten Newport 2 34" ProV1X

I'dd Like to say Jim Furyk but something tells me Jimmy just dont have that assasin mentality when in a close quarter fight . I wish Phil somehow gets it already but he is to agresive at times and with lightning greens I dont see his up and down game helping him here , Tiger nahhhh he has too many issues with his swing this days . It will all come down to who has their flat stick working well for 4 days, my bet is this Us Open will be tight on sunday and if that happens . I like Zack Johnson , but ofcourse if el tigre is in contention it would be bad news to whomever he is competing at that time.

905R or 907D2 9.5* Fujikura Speeder X-stiff
GS Tour 3W
R7 Fairway Wood 5
Burner Rescue Hybrid 3H
755 iron set 4-PW Spin Milled 52*, 56*, 60* Studio Design Black Laguna, 35" Tour Issue One Black CB641 Caddy Bag Japan Model

Its a prediction thread not based on fact. Meaning you say who you think will win before the tournament starts. I realize everyone has an oppinion but its too late to have any kind of merrit to your picks now that the 1st round is nearly completed.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Aaron Baddeley or Geoff Ogilvy
Driver: Dunlop X-Ti Pro Titanium 10.5*
Woods: Dunlop X-Ti Pro Titanium - Hybrid,3,5
Irons: Dunlop X-Ti - 4,5,6,7,8,9
Wedges: Dunlop Tour Wedges - SW, PW, LW
Putter: Tour Special, Pin Sight 111Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I bet Clubswinger21 if I spot you the first 9 holes of sunday you'd still wont be able to tell a clear winner of this tournament. I mean did you guys see what this golf course did to those pros that dared challenge it. Tiger does have the inside track but hey Oakmont can swallow him and spit him alive anytime, thats just how this course is. Baddely will find this out tommorow.

905R or 907D2 9.5* Fujikura Speeder X-stiff
GS Tour 3W
R7 Fairway Wood 5
Burner Rescue Hybrid 3H
755 iron set 4-PW Spin Milled 52*, 56*, 60* Studio Design Black Laguna, 35" Tour Issue One Black CB641 Caddy Bag Japan Model

I bet Clubswinger21 if I spot you the first 9 holes of sunday you'd still wont be able to tell a clear winner of this tournament. I mean did you guys see what this golf course did to those pros that dared challenge it. Tiger does have the inside track but hey Oakmont can swallow him and spit him alive anytime, thats just how this course is. Baddely will find this out tommorow.

Ed_Vaderr, you are correct! Unless I did a sorry job of reviewing the posts in this thread, the name

Angel Cabrera was never mentioned. Bravo, Angel, bravo!!

Note: This thread is 6185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!