IGNORED

Etiquette Violations (and Other Things) That Bug You

iacas

• Administrator

For example:

• Your cart partner parks about five feet behind your golf ball, so you either swing while kinda worrying that you're going to hit the cart with your backswing or follow-through, or you have to move the cart.
  • Cart drivers who park beside the cart path instead of ON the cart path. Do those three feet really help you that much, buddy?
  • Players who are never ready to play when it's their turn.
  • Players who never get the flagstick (or even offer).

I'll stop at a par four there of my own and let you add some.

• Thumbs Up 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Discarded cigars by the green still gets me.

The short game area guy with three dozen balls scattered all over the place. 

The dude that takes several minutes to lock onto the pin with his range finder, proceeds to chunk his approach.

• Thumbs Up 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

• Someone who leaves like a dozen range balls on the putting green or chipping green when there isn’t designated range balls for that green. I don’t need to clean up your crap.
  • People who use carts and don’t play ready golf. It’s ok to grab a few clubs and let your cart partner drive to their ball.  
  • People who think they can drive a cart with in 5 yards of the green
  • People who take forever getting into their cart near the green. Take care of stuff at the next tee. 
  • Thumbs Up 3

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

@snapfade had it right. Discarded smoking material anywhere except a trash barrel. I reluctantly support your right to hurt your health, just don’t assume it is okay to toss your trash wherever you want.

Music on the course. Yes, everyone who plays music thinks it is so low no one will be bothered and/or if someone complains they will turn it down or off. Well, why can I hear it? And why should I need to go 150 yards out of my way to tell some inconsiderate “Richard” that it bothers me (and likely get into an argument).

I haven’t seen any pistachio or sunflower seed shells on the green or tee lately. Maybe an etiquette vigilante hit that guy over the head with a sand wedge and buried him in the woods. One can only hope.

Brian Kuehn

• Ass clowns who seem to think driving on the right side doesn’t apply to golf carts.
  • Chipping to the putting green when the signs clearly read, ‘No Chipping.’
  • Ass hats who disregard the plastic bins labeled ‘Trash’ and ‘Club Cleaner.’

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• The golfer who needs to laser the tee when he is next to the 250 yard marker. And if course we all know he can’t even come close to hitting it that far.

• the golfer who repeatedly asks you the distance for his shots. Buy you own #%^* range finder/GPS unit!

• The golfer who thinks a tee time is only a suggestion and runs to get a beer (or use the can, etc.) 1 minute before the tee time.

Edited by StuM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Already mentioned, but not being ready to play when it’s your turn. Especially on the green. 
  • Pre shot routines that last more than 15 seconds. Not talking about making the decision on what to do, but what happens after that. 
  • Waiting for the green to clear when your approach shot is longer than your tee shot.

I’m playing tomorrow, so I’m sure I’ll have more. 

Edited by DeadMan
  • Thumbs Up 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Smoking. Just because we're outside doesn't mean I can avoid your second hand smoke. Also, what the #@%&? It kills you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Slow play that caused by people not being ready for their shot.
  • cart players who play one shot, then drive to the other ball.
  • players who wait for the green to clear on par 5s who no way in hell will ever reach the green on their next shot.
  • smoking materials and seeds on the green.
  • lastly, people who use “ass clown” and “ass hat” to describe stupid golfers when clearly “F**ktard” is the appropriate term.😉
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Funny 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, reidsou said:

Smoking. Just because we're outside doesn't mean I can avoid your second hand smoke. Also, what the #@%&? It kills you. 

I once got paired up with a guy who literally averaged a cigarette per hole. I'm pretty easy going, but about 13 holes in I started getting a headache from the volume of smoking this guy did. I started walking to my ball to avoid riding with him. ... The funny part is, he actually gave me shit about drinking coffee. He said "That caffeine will kill you." 🤪

In all honesty, I can't understand how people can afford to smoke. That's a huge voluntary tax you are paying.  

11 hours ago, saevel25 said:
  • People who use carts and don’t play ready golf. It’s ok to grab a few clubs and let your cart partner drive to their ball.  

I have no idea why people don't understand this concept. 

• People who take forever getting into their cart near the green. Take care of stuff at the next tee. 

Once again, this seems so simple. I, again, am totally baffled by folks who can't understand this. 

12 hours ago, iacas said:
  • Cart drivers who park beside the cart path instead of ON the cart path. Do those three feet really help you that much, buddy?

I do this all the time. So, I guess I'm guilty. Most of the time I do it because the tournament course I play every year doesn't leave much room to get by. So, I want people to be able to pass by my cart to get to their shot. So I pull off the side. Very often with 2 wheels on the path and 2 wheels off the path. 

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that annoyed you. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

People who think they can drive a cart with in 5 yards of the green

I concur, however the Feds have recent laws that allow/require someone to be able to actually drive on the greens and tee boxes:

58_7abbbb2796.jpg

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is Federal law that applies throughout the USA. It is enforced by litigation in the Federal courts, not by...

7 hours ago, StuM said:

The golfer who thinks a tee time is only a suggestion and runs to get a beer (or use the can, etc.) 1 minute before the tee time.

My club doesn't have tee times except on holidays, but a lot of the golfers come straight from the parking lot to the first tee without hitting some balls or either doing some chipping and putting. They come out of nowhere and up to the first tee sometimes tying their shoes there. I get all warmed up and see an opening on the first tee, and by the time I get down there we have a threesome rolling up and then they are waiting on their fourth who is "pulling into the lot" and then they proceed to stretch and do a bunch or orange whip practice swings.

5 hours ago, reidsou said:

I have trouble with cigar smoke, which is annoying from 3 to 4 holes away.

Cart etiquette - driving too close to the green, tee box, ON the tee box in some cases that I have witnessed and said something as politely as I could. Thankfully most in my group carry or push.

A friend of mine uses almost his entire  round to recount his entire week/month....to anyone within earshot. Nice guy but incessant chattering can be disruptive.

13 hours ago, iacas said:
  • Players who never get the flagstick (or even offer).

Guilty-ish.

See I almost never take it out anymore for myself so honestly it has slowly vanished as a thing from my psyche. I really have to work at remembering to offer to my playing partners. Have a few who almost always want it out.

Appreciate the reminder. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

People who are sticklers for etiquette - specifically those who think they must wait for their "turn" or who won't advance to their ball because someone else on the other side of the fairway is "away". Basically anyone who is a detriment to ready golf.

5 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Guilty-ish.

See I almost never take it out anymore for myself so honestly it has slowly vanished as a thing from my psyche. I really have to work at remembering to offer to my playing partners. Have a few who almost always want it out.

Appreciate the reminder. 

I don't bother with the flag. Nobody I regularly play with wants it out. On the rare instance that we get paired with somebody who is a stickler for taking the flag out, they quickly realize that none of us is going to offer to take it out for them and they basically learn to live with it in.

Colin P.

26 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I don't bother with the flag. Nobody I regularly play with wants it out. On the rare instance that we get paired with somebody who is a stickler for taking the flag out, they quickly realize that none of us is going to offer to take it out for them and they basically learn to live with it in.

Good, then we can get along. Wait!...we already do..:beer:

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I do this all the time. So, I guess I'm guilty. Most of the time I do it because the tournament course I play every year doesn't leave much room to get by. So, I want people to be able to pass by my cart to get to their shot. So I pull off the side. Very often with 2 wheels on the path and 2 wheels off the path. 

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that annoyed you.

I'm talking mostly about at the green. There's no need for another cart in your group to pass you there, so… just stay on the path. Otherwise you're just adding wear and tear to the grass. And the more people that do it, the more wear and tear it adds.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, Carl3 said:

I concur, however the Feds have recent laws that allow/require someone to be able to actually drive on the greens and tee boxes:

Which is fine. When you see a healthy person, who doesn’t have any obvious ailments drive right next to the green. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Which is fine. When you see a healthy person, who doesn’t have any obvious ailments drive right next to the green. 

Or @Jeremie Boop at Fox Meadow. 😀

Here's one: “Failure to observe the Rules due to ignorance can only serve to embarrass those who are better informed and deprive them of their enjoyment of the day’s fun.” (Richard Tufts