IGNORED

snap hooking the ball off the tee

Note: This thread is 3844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by blue72ss

A tour pro's clubface may be open or closed relative to his feet alignment depending on which way he wants to work the ball, but you can bet it is nowhere near 5 to 10 degrees off of the target.  That would make him have to compensate by 5 to 10 degrees to get back to square to the target.

Virtually no PGA Tour player has the clubface "square to the target" at impact. Almost none. They're all aimed left or right of the target at impact to account for the fact that the ball will curve.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Virtually no PGA Tour player has the clubface "square to the target" at impact. Almost none. They're all aimed left or right of the target at impact to account for the fact that the ball will curve.

Agreed.

I dont think we are all understanding one another, because I believe that you guys are professionals.

The ball will end up wherever you club face is pointed at impact, end of story.  It may curve left or right depending on where your swing path is aimed.

So when you say "they're all aimed left or right of target", yes there body may be aimed there, maybe even there clubface at address, but at impact it had better be pointed at the green or it wont end up on the green, the spin on the ball is determined by swing path and where the club face is pointed.

I hope we can all agree to this considering its been common knowledge for the last 100 years.

Adam - I like your advice about finding out what works for you and maybe thats whats holding me back from being a scratch handicapp, I dont know man, I've been playing this game my entire life, for the past 15 years I'll play twice a week for a year or so and then eventually get frustrated and lose interest and stop playing for a year, then I'll come back and swing slow and smooth and play good and gain interest again for the next year.  I have a really "laggy" "handsy" swing to which I dont maintain any width at the top, consequently I hit the ball a mile but cannot consistently slow my swing down to limit off-line shots.  At the range the other day I was hitting my 6 iron to 185 flag, one fade and then one draw back and forth.  And then on the course I'm afraid to try crazy shots like that and I'll shoot 79-81 and lose to my buddy who hits the ball half as far.

Frustrating but I guess thats the game.

• Administrator

The ball will end up wherever you club face is pointed at impact, end of story.  It may curve left or right depending on where your swing path is aimed.

So when you say "they're all aimed left or right of target", yes there body may be aimed there, maybe even there clubface at address, but at impact it had better be pointed at the green or it wont end up on the green, the spin on the ball is determined by swing path and where the club face is pointed.

I hope we can all agree to this considering its been common knowledge for the last 100 years.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

(That's a link, btw.)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I hope for your sake that you're just joking about club face being the sole determinant of where the ball ends up. If not, do yourself a favor and go google ball flight laws, do a little reading, then come back and write a recovery post about how you were just joking.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

(That's a link, btw.)

hahahahahahahaha

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

As a start, this statement isn't true. The ball will not always end up where the clubface is aimed at impact. If your path is +5 and your face is +4, depending on what club you hit and how far it goes this could finish to the right, online or even left.

But even if it was true, having a face that is open at address does not mean it will be open at impact. you have to look at the pattern of the player and adjust it from there. If their pattern is 'too closed at impact' to hit an on target shot, then opening it somehow is perfectly viable.

E.g a player sets up with a clubface square. At impact, the club is travelling +5 degrees and the face at impact is -5 degrees. This player is going to hit a snap hook left. His face is closing 5 degrees from address to impact - so, theoretically, if he sets up with the face 5 degrees open at address (then takes his grip), his impact factors will now look like this;

path - +5

face - 0

unfortunately, this is also going to still result in a hook - even though his face is aimed at the target at impact. So we would need to do something more like open his face 9 degrees at address. Now, if he makes the same swing, his impact factors will look like

path +5

face +4

voila -- snap hook gone and now a little push draw. May not be optimum, but certainly more workable that previous impact stats.

(That's a link, btw.)

This is the 2nd time you've posted a link that is a least partially contradictory to your point.  I trust Butch Harmon over any scientist who doesnt play the game, the first paragraph states exactly what I'm saying, and the rest of the article is scientist trying to argue physics.  Nice Link!

Originally Posted by RollTide

I hope for your sake that you're just joking about club face being the sole determinant of where the ball ends up. If not, do yourself a favor and go google ball flight laws, do a little reading, then come back and write a recovery post about how you were just joking.

Go read Mr. Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong's link, and then come back here and make another post that you were just joking.

Additionally, you're a 15 handicapp, I was less than that when I was 9 years old, your hardly qualified to be giving ball-flight instrcution or advice to professionals or even myself who is a 7 index even while running a business working 60 hours a week playing golf twice a month.

• Administrator
I trust Butch Harmon over any scientist who doesnt play the game, the first paragraph states exactly what I'm saying, and the rest of the article is scientist trying to argue physics.  Nice Link!

Butch Harmon is wrong about this. The first paragraph is wrong. You are wrong. You can refuse to accept the truth if you'd like, but you'd be stupid to do so.

Go read Mr. Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong's link, and then come back here and make another post that you were just joking.

Additionally, you're a 15 handicapp, I was less than that when I was 9 years old, your hardly qualified to be giving ball-flight instrcution or advice to professionals or even myself who is a 7 index even while running a business working 60 hours a week playing golf twice a month.

Rolltide, I think he is calling you out......

Nobody likes to be proven wrong, but you are handling this in a very childish manner.  Did you get your lunch money taken away a lot as a kid?

Butch Harmon is wrong about this. The first paragraph is wrong. You are wrong.

You can refuse to accept the truth if you'd like, but you'd be stupid to do so.

And Nick Faldo, and everyone else is wrong too huh?  Except for yourself and the scientist?

please stop arguing and comment on the video he posted. He asking for help not for you to argue like a bunch of pre-pubescent immature children in middle school. Your swing looks like you are taking your swing inside on your backswing just like I do and also struggle with snap hooks. Check member swings for a sample of my swing. My recommendation, go to the range and setup a club aiming at your target, then set 3 tees behind where you would place the ball straight back aimed at your target. Practice taking the club back on that path while aiming at your target using your feet aid to aim correctly. I hope this helps and apologize for the children wanting to argue in your thread.

---- on a side note about the arguing, Golf is a game for gentlemen, please focus on acting like a gentlemen.

i'm not going to pretend to analyze your swing or give you sound advice because my handicap says i'm not allowed to, but i got the hooks recently and here are some of the reasons why:

-i spin out of the shot and just dead pull it, which sometimes i try to save and ends in a duck hook (rare, balance issue)

-i set up with the face too closed to compensate for my slice (mildly common, setup and grip issue)

-i don't follow through because i don't feel comfortable with my swing (moderately common, too much left hand not enough right hand)

-i get handsy on my down swing (this was my big issue and i'll explain bellow)

i bought a new driver, hit it great on the simulator, hit it great at the range, and still had trouble on the course but it was just nerves. when i was playing it slipped out of my hand and slammed into the turf on a drive. i was so mad that i went the next day and had the grip changed out. i was dumb and got a standard grip put on, even though every other club i own is midsize because i have large hands. i was a sucker for the green lamkin. anyway after playing with a severe pull/duck hook/power draw for 5 rounds and at least 5 range trips i decided to get go back to a midsize. i used the same setup, swing, everything and the ball was flying straight-ish again. no more severe turns in the first 100 yards.

for me because the club feels too thin in my hands, especially compared to every other club i have, i got too much play and too hard of grip on the club and it was leading to the hooks.

again, i'm not saying this is your problem and everything i said could be absolutely wrong. you're a lot better golfer than i am, as is everyone on this site probably, but those are some of the reasons that i've had duck hooks.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Originally Posted by duffedit

It starts off straight but pretty quickly goes left...ill get a video up of my swing soon....i had my pro look at my grip the other day when i saw him on the range i really rhink its my plane

It's most likely your path. You are swinging to much in to out.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

It's most likely your path. You are swinging to much in to out.

for sure the face is closed

If you make the path go more left, the ball is either just going to stay there, or the clubface will go a little more left relatively - resulting in a pull rather than a hook.

E.g if his stats are

path +5,

clubface -5

making him change his path will lead to stats such as

path 0

clubface -5 (or worse)

ball is still going left. Sure his path may be a problem, but it is not the reason for his left shots. He doesnt look overly in to out to me (although almost impossible to tell with just DL video, I have a good instinct for it)

Note: This thread is 3844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!