IGNORED

Handicap help for female

Note: This thread is 3309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there guys,

Im a 25yr old female thats recently just taken up golf. (couple months) I have a golf coach and have already seen improvements in  my golf, currently my handicap is 20 and iv only been on the golf course 3 times. is there any tips out there you could give me for beginners and how to get a lower handicap as I would like to enter competitions in couple years time.

• 3 months later...

I've been golfing for only 6 months now, And everytime I hit a course I'm finding something that work's well. The grip, back swing, hips, feet location, I haven't been golfing long and haven't really had any input on how to swing or stand/grip. I hit the range and does what work's. I got my first eagle 2 month's into golfing and it felt great.

In the Bag

R11 Driver, R11 3 Wood, R11s 5 Wood, 2, 3 & 4 Hybrid Nickent w/Aldila NV Hybrid shafts, 5 thru PW Nickent Irons w/Proforce shafts, Adams Gap w/Aldila NV shaft, Maxfli 56 wedge, Nike putter.

Puma gear from Head to Toe

Golf Buddy World Platinum

Titleist Ball Only!

• 1 year later...

I'd find a municipal course, ideally a 9-holer, where you can tally lots of rounds...where you can play seriously without the unfortunate realities of pace of play. You're gonna find lots of circumstances where people expect you to just pick your ball up but where you want to fight to card an 8 instead of a 9. To do this comfortably, and to gain a true hdcp index....you need to card lots of rounds...weekday early AM back nine sort of stuff....just you and the rules of golf.

• 11 months later...
Every opportunity you can get to practice your chipping and putting, whether playing by yourself if that is possible, or before or after you play, take it. Your scores will lower the better you are on or around the greens. BTW: The handicap system is such that you cannot establish a handicap factor/ index, until you have played a minimum of five games. But I would not at all be concerned what that number is until you can consistently hit the ball in the air. I would also suggest that you try to learn the basic rules so that the scores that you achieve are a true reflection of how you are playing. Often beginners do not count penalty strokes because in some cases, they don't know that they have incurred a penalty.

Take each swing as an opportunity to get better. Plan the shot you want to hit. Assess the risks and try to hit the shot. Did you pull off the shot? If not, try to figure out what you have to do to make it happen next time. Maybe a more conservative shot. Take a longer club with a more controlled swing. Don't plan on hitting you best shot at full speed. Pros can't even do that. Swing 75-80 percent max. Work on hitting the ball as straight as possible.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

On a par 5 fairway for the second shot, hit the club other than your driver that you hit the furthest. This may not be your fairway wood. It may be your 7 iron.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi there guys,

Im a 25yr old female thats recently just taken up golf. (couple months) I have a golf coach and have already seen improvements in  my golf, currently my handicap is 20 and iv only been on the golf course 3 times. is there any tips out there you could give me for beginners and how to get a lower handicap as I would like to enter competitions in couple years time.

If you are planning on playing competitions, my advice is to learn and play by the exact rules to the best of your ability right from the start.  Do not fall into the mindset that some have that it is more "fun" to modify the rules to do whatever.  Rest assured, all of the "reasons" they tell you for ignoring some rules are just rationalizations whose purpose, at heart, it to allows them to write down a lower score than they earned.

If you post a My Swing video here you will get feedback from some of the best instructors in the country.  There is tons of great info on this site.  But be careful about getting paralyzed by listening to too many voices.

Good luck, it is good to have more women in the game.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
Note: This thread is 3309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!