IGNORED

Michelle Wie...Will she ever return to her previous form?

Tontj5
Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hope Michelle continues to do well. Michelle, Lexi, and Lydia battling it out weekly would be fun to watch, with Stacy, Paula, and Morgan getting a few punches in as well. I like to watch the ladies; they are attractive and have game. As a middle-aged bogey golfer, their game has more relevance to me personally. The distances and clubs they use are a little closer to what I do than the men, and they have longer shots to par 4's etc. Other than a chip or put, there aren't many shots on the PGA tour that I will duplicate. Not many on the LPGA either, but closer than the PGA.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Never hurts seeing Natalie Gulbis doing well. She shot -6 today to get in the hunt for the weekend.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Michelle is on a charge again and has worked her way to 2nd place this week. She's -6 for her past 7 holes, but is two behind Stacy Lewis on the back nine. Michelle has that same confidence she had the day of her victory a couple weeks ago.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Didn't read the thread, but when did Michelle Wie REALLY have form?  She's probably one of the Top 10 most over-hyped athletes in the history of sports.  She was supposed to come out and shatter Annika's records, and she's been a bust.

It was intially form that caused the hype. Long drives and competitive scores in majors while still a teenager. Once she turned pro, she seemed to go into a funk for a few years. I think the hype caused the funk, and now she seems to be coming into her own as a person, maturing and refocussing on golf.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Quote:

Originally Posted by albatross

Didn't read the thread, but when did Michelle Wie REALLY have form?  She's probably one of the Top 10 most over-hyped athletes in the history of sports.  She was supposed to come out and shatter Annika's records, and she's been a bust.

It was intially form that caused the hype. Long drives and competitive scores in majors while still a teenager. Once she turned pro, she seemed to go into a funk for a few years. I think the hype caused the funk, and now she seems to be coming into her own as a person, maturing and refocussing on golf.

In my opinion, she will never have half of the success they were predicting her to have though.  I mean she was totally billed as the female Tiger Woods.  That's not going to happen.

• Administrator

In my opinion, she will never have half of the success they were predicting her to have though.  I mean she was totally billed as the female Tiger Woods.  That's not going to happen.

So? She didn't make those proclamations.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So? She didn't make those proclamations.

I didn't say that she did.  I said she was completely over hyped.  Mostly by the media and her sponsors.  Although deciding to compete against the men when she had almost no success on her own tour, can be seen as a proclamation of how great she thought she was.

• Administrator
I didn't say that she did.  I said she was completely over hyped.

Again: So?

Also, she didn't even "have" a Tour to call her own. She was not an LPGA member for awhile. So she made the choice, right or wrong, to play where she could.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Again: So?

I'm confused what you're asking I guess.  The title of the thread is "Michelle Wie...Will she ever return to her previous form?"  and my response to the thread is that I don't think she ever had outstanding form. My opinion.

• Administrator
I'm confused what you're asking I guess.  The title of the thread is "Michelle Wie...Will she ever return to her previous form?"  and my response to the thread is that I don't think she ever had outstanding form. My opinion.

No, you're using the "hype" she got, none of which she put out there herself, as a means of bashing someone. I think that's dumb.

If you don't think finishing top three in several majors, shooting 68 in a PGA Tour event, nearly qualifying for the U.S. Open, being the youngest person to win an open (i.e. not junior) USGA event, etc. are not form, well, many will think that's dumb too, myself included.

• The youngest winner (male or female) of an adult USGA-sanctioned tournament – Age 13 (2003 U.S. Women's Amateur Public Links )
  • The youngest player to make a cut in an LPGA tournament and major – Age 13 (2003 Nabisco Championship )
  • The lowest round by a female in a PGA Tour event – 68 (2004 and 2006 Sony Open)
  • The youngest player to play in Curtis Cup history – Age 14 (2004)
  • The first female to qualify for a USGA championship that is generally played by males - Age 15 (2005 U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship Pittsburgh sectional)
  • The first female to make a cut on the Asian Tour - Age 16 (2006 SK Telecom Open)
  • The first female medalist in a U.S. Open qualifying tournament – Age 16 (2006 U.S. Open Local Qualifying at Turtle Bay Hawaii)

Quote:

Originally Posted by albatross

No, you're using the "hype" she got, none of which she put out there herself, as a means of bashing someone. I think that's dumb.

If you don't think finishing top three in several majors, shooting 68 in a PGA Tour event, nearly qualifying for the U.S. Open, being the youngest person to win an open (i.e. not junior) USGA event, etc. are not form, well, many will think that's dumb too, myself included.

The youngest winner (male or female) of an adult USGA-sanctioned tournament – Age 13 (2003 U.S. Women's Amateur Public Links)

The youngest player to make a cut in an LPGA tournament and major – Age 13 (2003 Nabisco Championship)

The lowest round by a female in a PGA Tour event – 68 (2004 and 2006 Sony Open)

The youngest player to play in Curtis Cup history – Age 14 (2004)

The first female to qualify for a USGA championship that is generally played by males - Age 15 (2005 U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship Pittsburgh sectional)

The first female to make a cut on the Asian Tour - Age 16 (2006 SK Telecom Open)

The first female medalist in a U.S. Open qualifying tournament – Age 16 (2006 U.S. Open Local Qualifying at Turtle Bay Hawaii)

Agree, plus when you factor in she pretty much gave up her career for 4 years while going to a prestigious college to better herself.     She was studying, rather than beating balls at the range every day.   People tend to forget that...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

[QUOTE name="iacas" url="/t/59296/michelle-wie-will-she-ever-return-to-her-previous-form/162#post_985975"]   No, you're using the "hype" she got, none of which she put out there herself, as a means of bashing someone. I think that's dumb. If you don't think finishing top three in several majors, shooting 68 in a PGA Tour event, nearly qualifying for the U.S. Open, being the youngest person to win an open (i.e. not junior) USGA event, etc. are not form, well, many will think that's dumb too, myself included. [SPOILER=No Form?]
  • The youngest winner (male or female) of an adult USGA-sanctioned tournament – Age 13 (2003 U.S. Women's Amateur Public Links )
  • The youngest player to make a cut in an LPGA tournament and major – Age 13 (2003 Nabisco Championship )
  • The lowest round by a female in a PGA Tour event – 68 (2004 and 2006 Sony Open)
  • The youngest player to play in Curtis Cup history – Age 14 (2004)
  • The first female to qualify for a USGA championship that is generally played by males - Age 15 (2005 U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship Pittsburgh sectional)
  • The first female to make a cut on the Asian Tour - Age 16 (2006 SK Telecom Open)
  • The first female medalist in a U.S. Open qualifying tournament – Age 16 (2006 U.S. Open Local Qualifying at Turtle Bay Hawaii)
[/SPOILER] [/QUOTE] I don't really see where I "bashed" her.  Pretty dramatic comment.  Annika's thoughts pretty much sum up my feelings about Wie.  We all know the quote that was controversial from Sorenstam:   [COLOR=333333]"What I see now is that the talent that we all thought would be there is not there."  So it's just my opinion (or I guess that's Annika's, but I agree with it.)[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] You can keep arguing, but it's kind of silly.  I'm not proclaiming facts.  I just believe that as a professional, there are tons of players on the LPGA tour with much better "form.", and I don't think she will ever be really successful on the LPGA tour.  Just answering the question posted in the thread title.  [/COLOR]

I didn't say that she did.  I said she was completely over hyped.  Mostly by the media and her sponsors.  Although deciding to compete against the men when she had almost no success on her own tour, can be seen as a proclamation of how great she thought she was.

She was 16 and her dad was controlling her career. Why not just give her credit for finally coming into her own? You seem to want to bash her because she isn't the female Tiger Woods. She's very talented and is still only 24.

• Administrator
I just believe that as a professional, there are tons of players on the LPGA tour with much better "form.", and I don't think she will ever be really successful on the LPGA tour.

Where are they? She's won an event, finished second in major, keeps finishing in the top 10, and Is high on the scoring average, money leaders, and points lists. She's arguably a top five player on the LPGA now. No?

Where are they? She's won an event, finished second in major, keeps finishing in the top 10, and Is high on the scoring average, money leaders, and points lists.

She's arguably a top five player on the LPGA now. No?

You mean like Patrick Reed type of Top 5?  Sure.   Couldn't resist. :-)

Michelle Wie is great for the game. She is widely loved, and deservedly so. Will she ever win like girls or women from other countries that drop out of school to practice 12 hours a day- probably not- and thank god for it. When did being a well educated, gorgeous, talented, athletic winner become synonymous with under-achiever? The golf channel needs to bill every new player as the next Tiger or the next Annika, just to stay in business- but win lose or draw watching Michelle duke it out with the other greats of the L.P.G.A. is a thing of beauty and a beautiful thing to watch for any lover of the game.

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!