IGNORED

What DOES 'Mashed Potatoes" mean?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lately when I get up on the weekends I'll turn on the European Tour.  It's amazing the difference in the gallery between how they act and how the fans at PGA Tour events act.  It's a refreshing change from the drunken idiots; they still act with class and respect.

Wasn't the birdman from England? I find the behavior childish and pathetic. Unless you are under the age 17 this is not entertaining behavior. Pixel are you 14 years old? It is just not funny. Thank god I have never heard "mashed potatoes" on my golf course.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I feel these inbred knuckle dragging mouth breathers should be removed from the course with great  prejudice and malice

cleveland Hibore xls 8.5* driver
Cleveland Hiborexls 13* 3 wood
Ping S 56
Nike oz putter

I feel these inbred knuckle dragging mouth breathers should be removed from the course with great  prejudice and malice

I think that the people that yell stupid shit should be taken away to be tested for public drunkenness. After tested if they sober they can rejoin the gallery. A few embarrassing trips to the tent should curb this.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by VoidOfEnigmas

Think about it, if someone yells the same thing or something stupid after you hit the ball everytime would you be able to let it not get to you? I doubt it, go ahead and play with your friends and have them yell something a split second after you hit it everytime and watch as you hit a 102 instead of your 91 average.

Just mad because I brought up how you hang weights from your penis. It's all good bro.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by Clubchucker

Lately when I get up on the weekends I'll turn on the European Tour.  It's amazing the difference in the gallery between how they act and how the fans at PGA Tour events act.  It's a refreshing change from the drunken idiots; they still act with class and respect.

They save their rowdiness for soccer games.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by snofrog

Or perhaps:

pulpfiction01.jpg

Bill

Originally Posted by VoidOfEnigmas

The problem is we have a culture compared to europe where you are celebrated for being a drunken moronic idiot. I miss growing up in Finland and would love to move back sometime but I'm not a fan of 4 months of dark and snow at the same time.

I am afraid, that the same booze fuelled lifestyle has landed here also.

It is the same people who stand up and look for the camera at a hockey game. People more worried that their buddies will know it was them at the event than enjoying being there. I am fairly sure that the ones who yell random stuff go running home to watch the same event that they have recorded to see if they can hear themselves and then exclaim "That's me" with great pride.

Sun Mountain carry bag

Driver: Titleist 910D3*

Woods: Titleist 910F 13*, Alpha 18* Hybrid,

Irons: Titleist 681

Wedges: Vokey TVD 54* and 58*

Putter: Some Odyssey Anser Style.

Balls: Pro V1x,

Originally Posted by Putridgasbag

It is the same people who stand up and look for the camera at a hockey game. People more worried that their buddies will know it was them at the event than enjoying being there. I am fairly sure that the ones who yell random stuff go running home to watch the same event that they have recorded to see if they can hear themselves and then exclaim "That's me" with great pride.

Good point. It's a 'look at me' statement. Some people want attention no matter how stupid it  makes them look.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

• 1 month later...

i think its hilarious, first time i heard it i couldnt stop laughing it doesnt hurt anybody so what the problem? lol

VRS Covert 8.5°

VRS 3 Wood

VRS Covert 3i hybrid

VR pro cavity irons 4-9

46°,52°,56°,60°

Method 001 putter

Well I guess I'm just happy they stopped yelling "You Da Man" but it does get out of hand from time to time.

In my opinion Tiger fans are the absolute worst on the course. "Tiger Fan" is really making a move to overtake "Raider Fan" as the most rediculous in sports.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Originally Posted by pixel5

I've come to the conclusion that most of you have a stick up your butt, and if I am ever to attend a professional golf event I will, in fact, yell stupid phrases after tee shots just to spite you.

I guess you are just one of those people who is genetically disposed to being a jackass.

Originally Posted by Double Bogey

I really try not be an a-hole or have a stick up my butt but go to The Masters a couple of times and you will not be able to stand any other golf tourney.  ANGC demands the fans (patrons) be respectful to each other, players, and staff.  Other tournaments could do the same thing but don't have the balls.  Personally, I think it is childish and rude to do all this yelling crap.  I am not saying that it should be totally quiet, but yelling is just dumb.  Someone looking for their 15 minutes.  If it is distracting for me as a fan, it has to be distracting as a player.

Yep.  Golf used to be the one sporting event where the fans acted like adults instead of spoiled brats.  What ever happened to showing a little respect for others.   If you want to act like an immature idiot, go to a boxing match or a soccer game.  Or don't stand in front of me at a golf tournament.  I guarantee that you won't like what I have to say.

I can probably guess the physical age range of the screamers on this forum.... there is no doubt of their psychological age.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Parker0065

Well I guess I'm just happy they stopped yelling "You Da Man" but it does get out of hand from time to time.

In my opinion Tiger fans are the absolute worst on the course. "Tiger Fan" is really making a move to overtake "Raider Fan" as the most rediculous in sports.

As soon as there is a stabbing or 2 in the gallery it will be so

Originally Posted by chilepepper

As soon as there is a stabbing or 2 in the gallery it will be so

if they stab each other I feel we all win

cleveland Hibore xls 8.5* driver
Cleveland Hiborexls 13* 3 wood
Ping S 56
Nike oz putter

I understand trying to get more people involved in golf and growing the game and all that, but the history of the game and the ideas of respect and integrity that they talk about on the first tee commercials should be remembered by the people yelling out at an event... I don't have a problem with 16 at Phoenix, because it is a designated zone and is expected. I'ts not the 18th in the us open.

I think it's somewhat related to the grunting in women's tennis... many believe it is seriously out of hand, and I have to say, I have watched a few matches where I wanted to change the channel much like I do when a car salesmen commercial comes on the radio and I almost wreck my car because he is yelling at me.

I'm not sure how much the imitation of tourette's syndrome affects the players on the course, but it sure is annoying to me as a spectator.

Originally Posted by MrSandman

It means that you MASHED it, as in crushed it.  Like a mashed potato.

I think yelling during events is stupid.  But that's what it means.

I beg to differ.

It is a declaration of the state of mind of the yeller, i.e. "I've got mashed potatoes for brains!"

In many cases this would not be a surprise to those who know and tolerate them ......

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by pixel5

I've come to the conclusion that most of you have a stick up your butt, and if I am ever to attend a professional golf event I will, in fact, yell stupid phrases after tee shots just to spite you.

If you do this, you might end up with a stick up your butt, preferably administered by someone like Ernie or Vijay - have you ever seen (up close and personal) the power of Vijay hacking out of deep rough?  I recommend that you do attend your first pro event for this reason if for no other.   You might then have second thoughts about your plan ....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by dak4n6

So...what does it mean and where did it come from? Is it just a non-sequitor? Are people just going to start screaming out random objects after every shot?

"TELEPHONE BOOK!"  "PAPER CLIP!"  "DOUBLE PANE WINDOWS!"

Doesn't get much more stupid...

I heard one guy scream "Yabba Dabba Doooooo" after Bubba hit a tee shot. I watched some of the event this last weekend and I couldn't believe how noisy it was. It was like watching Happy Gilmore..

Note: This thread is 3903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!