IGNORED

What DOES 'Mashed Potatoes" mean?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Read some juicy comments here about the golf fans and their on-course outbursts.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2012/06/stingers-dear-gallery-stop-yelling-stupid-things.html#commentAnchor_golfdigest_2000000001828724

Seems that the youngsters who are just learning the game, and have high aspirations, will need to factor in the practice of 'screening out' the trash talk during the backswing, coz it ain't gonna go away. Well, maybe it will never arrive to the Master's .

So...what does it mean and where did it come from? Is it just a non-sequitor? Are people just going to start screaming out random objects after every shot?

"TELEPHONE BOOK!"  "PAPER CLIP!"  "DOUBLE PANE WINDOWS!"

Doesn't get much more stupid...

dak4n6

I see no problem with it. I think it's pretty funny.

• Upvote 1

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

Lately when I get up on the weekends I'll turn on the European Tour.  It's amazing the difference in the gallery between how they act and how the fans at PGA Tour events act.  It's a refreshing change from the drunken idiots; they still act with class and respect.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

One comment here, this guy is one of the idiots yelling out.

It's getting to the end of the week Alex needed a story before pay day.....Since it's the fans that keep these guys pockets full we can yell whatever it's part of the game...
Posted 6/21/2012 10:32:47am
by Buffalo12

It's part of the game? Maybe a football game, but not golf. People actually think this, it's natural to yell out stupid crap. Unbelieveable

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Id agree that it doesnt mean anything, its just some idiot who thinks he is funny.  I mean, at the U.S. Open there was someone who kept making the Chewbacca noise.  Its like, seriously?  Grow up.  Honestly, if I were at a tournament and someone in front of me kept doing things like that, Id smack them upside the head and say, "grow up".

Like I say every time this topic comes up, Id love to follow some of these people around the course when they are out playing and yell stupid things every time they tee off.  It wouldnt take long before they wouldn think it was as funny anymore.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Id love to follow some of these people around the course when they are out playing and yell stupid things every time they tee off.  It wouldnt take long before they wouldn think it was as funny anymore.

Amen, to that

It means that you MASHED it, as in crushed it.  Like a mashed potato.

I think yelling during events is stupid.  But that's what it means.

• Upvote 2

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Originally Posted by MrSandman

It means that you MASHED it, as in crushed it.  Like a mashed potato.

I think yelling during events is stupid.  But that's what it means.

Ahhh. Yup, still stupid.

And, even though the stupidity comes after the hit, it must still disturb players just knowing it's about to come.

dak4n6

Originally Posted by Clubchucker

Lately when I get up on the weekends I'll turn on the European Tour.  It's amazing the difference in the gallery between how they act and how the fans at PGA Tour events act.  It's a refreshing change from the drunken idiots; they still act with class and respect.

The crowds at a lot of Euro events are very small. There are just less people drunk and acting like idiots. Bubba Watson was very vocal last year and seems to have a point.

In my bag:

Nike Mach Speed Black

Nike Dymo 3 wood

TaylorMade Burner 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-53 PW-3

TaylorMade RAC 52, 56, 60

Odyssey Black Series Tour Design

Originally Posted by preisman

The crowds at a lot of Euro events are very small. There are just less people drunk and acting like idiots. Bubba Watson was very vocal last year and seems to have a point.

Actually the one I noticed the difference in galleries was the BMW in England.  Crowds were pretty darned big if I remember correctly.  And I think Bubba had more of an issue with people being in close proximity to him while going from hole to hole; don't think there were any ropes (or not many) in France.

All I'd like to see is a little class come back to the galleries at US events.  But, I also admit that maybe I'm old and grumpy; I won't hardly go to MLB or NFL games anymore because I don't want to be annoyed by drunken idiots.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

Originally Posted by pixel5

I see no problem with it. I think it's pretty funny.

You have a very sophisticated sense of humour.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Scoobie snacks?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Id agree that it doesnt mean anything, its just some idiot who thinks he is funny.  I mean, at the U.S. Open there was someone who kept making the Chewbacca noise.  Its like, seriously?  Grow up.  Honestly, if I were at a tournament and someone in front of me kept doing things like that, Id smack them upside the head and say, "grow up".

Like I say every time this topic comes up, Id love to follow some of these people around the course when they are out playing and yell stupid things every time they tee off.  It wouldnt take long before they wouldn think it was as funny anymore.

You seem to be pretty uptight generally.  You would make a great hall monitor.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Too much starch in some of y'alls drawls. Lighten up....damn.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Someone probably had watched a History channel program on Sixties rock-n-roll and was thinking about the dance the Mashed Potato. It was a contemporary move to the Twist and the Swim.

Not sure what it has to do with a round of golf. Any ideas???

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!