IGNORED

New to golf. Any advice?

uclaball21
Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The best advice is to do something every day.  Practice putting, inside is you have to.  Watch videos.  Read articles.  Let golf get inside your head.  There are just so many things you have to remember to do on the course...if you don;t do this kind of self-programming, there's just no way you'll remember to do them all.

http://****************101.com

****************101.com

Rob

Originally Posted by David in FL

Not at all.......after all, those putts are nearly impossible to miss!

Obviously you didn't see the post from this guy saying that every putt should be lined up as if the Masters depended on it.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by DirtCheap

Always use a tee. Even on a 90 yard par 3. If the rules allow for a perfect lie, why not take it?

I disagree. I dont care what anyone says. I would rather hit a wedge or short iron off the deck. Mid irons on up to to driver, I always tee up. Its hard to get a bette rlie for wedge than sitting on a perfectly mowed tee box.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Obviously you didn't see the post from this guy saying that every putt should be lined up as if the Masters depended on it.

Should have put the little winky wink thing in my post!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I like the advice about putting out.  If you take your scoring seriously and honestly you can start to address your weaknesses and make improvements.  You can't fix a problem that you always ignore.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted by wardigolf

It is important for beginner golfers to not take

themselves too seriously. It takes a long time to get

good at this game; even though the professionals make

it look so easy.

I second that. Taking the game too seriously in the beginning will result in a lot of frustration. I fell into that trap and it is a hard habit to break. It increases anxiety on the course and ultimately creates more frustration.

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.... hehe

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Originally Posted by Stewie007

I second that. Taking the game too seriously in the beginning will result in a lot of frustration. I fell into that trap and it is a hard habit to break. It increases anxiety on the course and ultimately creates more frustration.

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.... hehe

I agree.  I'm a year into golf, and I love it.  I never take it seriously, although I am constantly trying to improve.  Last weekend, I was trying to chip onto the green, and I didn't get under the ball at all. It went across the green into a bunker.... Couldn't care less.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Accept the fact that although you CAN hit a certain shot.. you WON'T every time you are in that situation.

It's what I need to accept.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

A friend and I were talking about golf at work once...

Friend: "I used to play golf and I'd just get sooo frustrated. I'd hit a bad shot and it made me so angry. Then, my father comes up behind me and says, 'Hey, why are you getting so angry? You're not that good.'"

It had occurred to him that he hit a bad shot simply because of his level of skill. It shouldn't be a surprise then, when he hit a bad shot.

Bad shots are an example of a bad swing.. nothing more. Not the "effing 9 iron can't hit it right!"

hehehe

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

If you struggle at 150 to the green, either you practise for it more and make sure you build enough consistency and confidence in the shot for that range, OR, pick an even shorter club that you know you'll definitely hit well. Yes, you might not land on the green, but if you make it to the fairway, you can steadily pitch or chip it near for a one putt. That way, at least you're confident with the shorter club and you'll tend to make less mistakes where it'll help you stay out of trouble from the bunkers and what not.

Most importantly, as you hit more and more good shots, your confidence grows and you feel great, now THAT helps your game for the day a lot, much better than hitting bad shots and feeling bad about it moving into the next hole.

All I know is practice helps me... I practice the "green to tee" theory. I'll set a target at 15, 30, 50, and so on. Some days a 50 or 60 yard shot feels better than a 15 or 20 yard shot. I can't get to the driving range but once a week, so I try to make my practicing very purposefull by using alignment sticks (mine are hard plastic garden stakes from wal-mart $ .88 a piece) and only focusing on 1 or 2 other things like ball striking and follow through. If I try to focus on too many things at once, it seems counter productive. Right now, for me, anything within 120 yards is more "feel" than anything else. From 130 and up is more about ball striking.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Accept the fact that although you CAN hit a certain shot.. you WON'T every time you are in that situation. It's what I need to accept.

I need to learn this too! Just shanked another drive...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!