IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by tiger187126

i think the whole 300 carry was put in his mouth by other posters here. i don't think he ever claimed 300 all carry, i think he just said he hit some drives that have gone 300. it's been hard to follow but there have been a lot of claims he never made being tacked on.

like i brought up before, i hit a drive on a certain length hole and when i get up to it and i only have so many yards left and i subtract from the total length it has ended up over 300. that could be hole design, elevation, roll, etc., but i could say it was a 300 yard drive and it would be true.

people began to point out that hard fairways might be helping him, but he never said i hit 300+ at sea level into a strong headwind. again, just more crap thrown into his original post by people who take another's ability to hit a little white ball a long way too personally.

Absolutely correct.  And I have said as much in this thread as well.  Why we even care that he can or cannot hit it 300 is amusing enough.  Then we start throwing in all these extras ... 300 yard carry, tailwind, hard fairways, downhill, altitude, and on down the list, and there is no way he is going to satisfy all of the naysayers on here even if he brings notarized Trackman results.  ("Yeah but, when was the last time they calibrated their machine?  I don't believe it.  You suck!")

This is why, Jimbo, that you don't worry about proving anything to any of us.  You do what bunkerputt said above:

"Good luck James.  My suggestion:  forget about this thread when you go.  Don't try to prove people wrong and swing out of your shoes every time.  You'll end up wasting your trackman session and all the time and money you spent.  Try to just make your playing swing and see what your numbers are.  That way there may be a bunch of internet mavens saying, "See!  I told you so", but you'll have yardages that you can carry away to lower your scores.  In the end, you are the one who matters to your improvement.  Good luck again."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Spyder

That is not true.

Take the letter  "S". Say this was a 600 yard, fantasy Par 5 where you begin on the lower left end of the S and work to the top right. Following the fairway may be 600 yards, but cutting from the lower left to the top right may only be 240 yards. Driving the green in this fantasy, made up scenario, Par 5 is not a 600 yard drive, but a 240 yard drive.

Again, I think people brought up the fact that "clearing trees on a dog leg" doesn't mean you drove the hole's listed length. Tracking the ball from Point A through its entire path of travel to it's resting place of Point B is what you would need to do. Not go to Point B and subtract your distance from the green or look at a nearby yardage marker.

i wasn't talking about clearing a dogleg, just a straight hole that has an elevated tee or a certain amount of downhill roll to it. like if you clear 230 yards you're on a downslope that will funnel you and cause extra roll.

frankly if he goes and hits 270-280 on the trackman that will be enough for me to believe he hits 300 because conditions can easily add yardage.

i applaud the accuracy of those intentionally clearing doglegs though. my courses don't leave a very wide fairway after the doglegs.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Originally Posted by tiger187126

i wasn't talking about clearing a dogleg, just a straight hole that has an elevated tee or a certain amount of downhill roll to it. like if you clear 230 yards you're on a downslope that will funnel you and cause extra roll.

frankly if he goes and hits 270-280 on the trackman that will be enough for me to believe he hits 300 because conditions can easily add yardage.

i applaud the accuracy of those intentionally clearing doglegs though. my courses don't leave a very wide fairway after the doglegs.

Oh, I understood what you meant tiger. I guess I should have been more literal though and said that many golfers out there do what I stated.

I have golfed with quite a few people who think that clearing obstacles or taking short cuts would relate to a card # rather than an actual # of yardage that they hit the ball. Hell, I regularly play with people who look at the 100 or 150 marker and quickly subtract from the card's stated hole length to calculate a drive - even when they're 20+ yards away from it parallel or not.

As for Jimbo, I do hope he can do exactly what he said and proves everyone who bashed him wrong. I also did not believe he could achieve consistent factors to achieve 300 yard drives "on the norm". Though I'm often overly skeptical about certain claims on anything in life, I am the type of character to quickly admit my faults and wrongs and offer a congratulations or go on record as being "wrong". After all, there is nothing wrong with being wrong and having an opinion. It's not being able to admit you when you're wrong that causes a problem in life.

That's what I was wondering, I really didn't think hes gonna carry 300 but I just didn't know who brought it up so that's why I ask, However I do believe to support his claim credibly he has to show some consistency at driving the ball in the 275 range at the very least after all his swings, just being able to hit a ball in hot dry thin air conditions on firm ground 300 yards after 20 swings really shouldn't count, but if that was all he was claiming to begin with then this is a waste of time other than the lesson he should get.

I know there is allot of to read in this thread, and some post or even pages may get skipped over. Let me re-wright any statement or claims I have made and the reason why started the post.

I'm new to golf, and the forum of course. I love playing the game and also really enjoy posting in the forum. Since I have mainly golfed alone, it makes it much funner to post about whats going on with my game in here.

There first incident I had was in a post where people started talking about reaching a short par 4 in one shot. I mentioned that I hit a shot that was even with the pin but 40 yards to the right of the green on a 309 yard par 4. Then people said there is no way it  happened because I was a 29 handicap at the time and I would have had to hit a 300+ yard shot, and thats not possible, then I was called a lier and BS'er. I tried to defend myself in that post but it was dragging on and getting way off topic. The same exact thing happened in another post, and when defending myself I wrote this statement....."Why is unbelievable that I can drive 300+", because I wanted to know and was tired of being called a lier. Well that post also dragged on with off topic BS, everyone calling me a straight up liar.

So I made a new post named just that "Why is unbelievable I can drive 300+". The same question I was asking in the other post that where being ruined by non believers lol. Shun the non believer... SHUNNNN.

This is what I have said/claimed...

1. I can and have before hit a 300 yard drive.

2. I hit 1-2 300 yard drives per round when trying. There have been rounds I have only hit one, and one round I hit three in the same round. The round I measured three 300+ drives in one round with my GPS I stopped measuring drives. I still use my gps but only for distance to the pin now. I did measure two drives yesterday and hit two 300+.

3. When at my home range and hitting a large bucket of 120 balls. I can get around 5 to 10 over over the back fence that measures 250-260 depending on where the hitting line is that day. So yes I have calimed to carry 270 yards about 5%-10% of the time at the range.

I never calimed to hit 300 yard drives at will.

I never claimed to have good accuracy or great consitancy, YET

I never ever I can carry 300

I never said hitting the ball 300 is a good thing, just that I have done it before.

The main reason for the thread is so I can post in other threads about hitting a long ball every now and again without being called a liar/idiot/BS'er. Which I have been called all of those multiple times and see no reason what so ever for it.

Sincerely, Jim

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

I know there is allot of to read in this thread, and some post or even pages may get skipped over. Let me re-wright any statement or claims I have made and the reason why started the post.

I'm new to golf, and the forum of course. I love playing the game and also really enjoy posting in the forum. Since I have mainly golfed alone, it makes it much funner to post about whats going on with my game in here.

There first incident I had was in a post where people started talking about reaching a short par 4 in one shot. I mentioned that I hit a shot that was even with the pin but 40 yards to the right of the green on a 309 yard par 4. Then people said there is no way it  happened because I was a 29 handicap at the time and I would have had to hit a 300+ yard shot, and thats not possible, then I was called a lier and BS'er. I tried to defend myself in that post but it was dragging on and getting way off topic. The same exact thing happened in another post, and when defending myself I wrote this statement....."Why is unbelievable that I can drive 300+", because I wanted to know and was tired of being called a lier. Well that post also dragged on with off topic BS, everyone calling me a straight up liar.

So I made a new post named just that "Why is unbelievable I can drive 300+". The same question I was asking in the other post that where being ruined by non believers lol. Shun the non believer... SHUNNNN.

2. I hit 1-2 300 yard drives per round when trying. There have been rounds I have only hit one, and one round I hit three in the same round. The round I measured three 300+ drives in one round with my GPS I stopped measuring drives. I still use my gps but only for distance to the pin now. I did measure two drives yesterday and hit two 300+.

3. When at my home range and hitting a large bucket of 120 balls. I can get around 5 to 10 over over the back fence that measures 250-260 depending on where the hitting line is that day. So yes I have calimed to carry 270 yards about 5%-10% of the time at the range.

I never said hitting the ball 300 is a good thing, just that I have done it before.

The main reason for the thread is so I can post in other threads about hitting a long ball every now and again without being called a liar/idiot/BS'er. Which I have been called all of those multiple times and see no reason what so ever for it.

Okay well then I think the fact that your course is in Vegas and you probably have never played anywhere else in the country should have been taken into consideration. Obviously the air is dry and the temperature is warm will give more carry and of course the ground is probably firm so the ball will get plenty of roll. I know for a fact 250 yards of carry under those conditions can give someone 300 yards quite easy so everyone who says you were full of it were not taking into consideration the playing elements you were at. I don't know how the trackman monitor works that is if it gets its data off the immediate impact or it actually tracks the ball the entire distance I guess we will see, but we will also see how you average out over a number of swings versus just saying this one or that one did this. Good Luck.

Originally Posted by onesome

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

Okay well then I think the fact that your course is in Vegas and you probably have never played anywhere else in the country should have been taken into consideration. Obviously the air is dry and the temperature is warm will give more carry and of course the ground is probably firm so the ball will get plenty of roll. I know for a fact 250 yards of carry under those conditions can give someone 300 yards quite easy so everyone who says you were full of it were not taking into consideration the playing elements you were at. I don't know how the trackman monitor works that is if it gets its data off the immediate impact or it actually tracks the ball the entire distance I guess we will see, but we will also see how you average out over a number of swings versus just saying this one or that one did this. Good Luck.

Can you illustrate why dry air is an advantage? I've always seen the ball fly much farther when the relative humidity is higher, all else being equal.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

thats why when you play certain dog leg holes the card will say 350 but a gps will say 280 or whatever. For what its worth I played in vegas this weekend and the ball really does fly further. I played a straight forward par 5 dead straight either 502 or 510 I dont remember but even call it 490. I was able to go driver 8 iron and my friend went driver 7 iron.

FWIW, this is bullshit. I live in Vegas and have played golf all around the world, and while I'm sure there are some courses with rock hard fairways where the ball will roll forever (that doesnt include the nice courses that water heavily daily), at 2000 ft. above sea level, the ball MAY carry an extra 3-4%. That's maybe ten yards on a drive that [i]carries[/i] 250. So considering that the hole was dead straight, unless you're driving it 300+ and hit 8i another 180-190, you either were downhill, downwind, playing on asphalt, or the yardages were wrong. I read this all the time in these forums: "Wanna drive it 300? Move to Vegas!". That's a crock.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Can you illustrate why dry air is an advantage? I've always seen the ball fly much farther when the relative humidity is higher, all else being equal.

-Humid air warms up more slowly during the day, and generally holds its temperature better than dry air. Living near the shore, for example, is a microclimate that keeps the temperature range much lower. So it stands to reason that the desert air is hotter in the day and colder at night. In a coastal climate on Long Island where I live, a 90˚ day would never in my experience begin below 70-75 at sunrise. In the desert, however, it could be 50-60˚, especially at altitude, and by mid morning it might be hot already where it takes until 2-3PM or so to reach the high temperature on the coast.

-Humid air causes the ground to dry slightly more slowly, and desert conditions result in quicker drying of surface moisture. Though courses might be set up to drain differently based on drainage features, grass type, and soil conditions, the grass and soil moisture is going to be lower for more of the day even if the course is irrigated. Coastal courses often need sandy soil to drain properly, which is going to absorb more of the roll than a clay base, even when dry.

So I'd say the air is warmer during much of the day and the moisture in the soil and on the grass will be gone by midmorning, even on an irrigated course. And when the sun is out, the temperature will be higher and have sharper changes. I don't believe humidity on its own would make a difference all things being equal, but I don't think Onesome was making that claim too strongly, he may have meant dry air was a contributing factor to the firm and warm conditions.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Relative humidity is the percent of moisture in the air for that given temperature relative to the maximum amount of moisture the air can hold at that temperature. So a lower relative humidity, given the same temperature would mean a drier and less dense air.

Which i would think would be easier to drive the ball in.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

-Humid air warms up more slowly during the day, and generally holds its temperature better than dry air. Living near the shore, for example, is a microclimate that keeps the temperature range much lower. So it stands to reason that the desert air is hotter in the day and colder at night. In a coastal climate on Long Island where I live, a 90˚ day would never in my experience begin below 70-75 at sunrise. In the desert, however, it could be 50-60˚, especially at altitude, and by mid morning it might be hot already where it takes until 2-3PM or so to reach the high temperature on the coast.

-Humid air causes the ground to dry slightly more slowly, and desert conditions result in quicker drying of surface moisture. Though courses might be set up to drain differently based on drainage features, grass type, and soil conditions, the grass and soil moisture is going to be lower for more of the day even if the course is irrigated. Coastal courses often need sandy soil to drain properly, which is going to absorb more of the roll than a clay base, even when dry.

So I'd say the air is warmer during much of the day and the moisture in the soil and on the grass will be gone by midmorning, even on an irrigated course. And when the sun is out, the temperature will be higher and have sharper changes. I don't believe humidity on its own would make a difference all things being equal, but I don't think Onesome was making that claim too strongly, he may have meant dry air was a contributing factor to the firm and warm conditions.

Originally Posted by saevel25

Relative humidity is the percent of moisture in the air for that given temperature relative to the maximum amount of moisture the air can hold at that temperature. So a lower relative humidity, given the same temperature would mean a drier and less dense air.

Which i would think would be easier to drive the ball in.

That sounds all sciency and stuff but I think it's bass ackwards - tha ball flies farther in more humid air at the same temperature and pressure. It just does and no I don't have any math behind my 25+ years of observations other than things like 295 > 275.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

-. So I'd say the air is warmer during much of the day and the moisture in the soil and on the grass will be gone by midmorning, [b]even on an irrigated course. [/b]And when the sun is out, the temperature will be higher and have sharper changes. I don't believe humidity on its own would make a difference all things being equal, but I don't think Onesome was making that claim too strongly, he may have meant dry air was a contributing factor to the firm and warm conditions.

Our club waters several times during the day, especially during the hotter days of summer. Any additional roll we get is from the fairways being nearly perfectly manicured, not from being especially firm. As I said before, I'm sure there are courses here that have hard fairways, but I don't play them.

Originally Posted by onesome

Man its hot and dry out here but there is no way the ball rolls 50+ yards on my course. Maybe if your hitting line drives, but I doubt it. I personally have a really high ball flight, and get little roll at times. The ball carries further when the relative humidity is higher. Higher temps do make the ball go further though, I'm told about 1 foot per degree.

Sincerely, Jim

That sounds all sciency and stuff but I think it's bass ackwards - tha ball flies farther in more humid air at the same temperature and pressure. It just does and no I don't have any math behind my 25+ years of observations other than things like 295 > 275.

s_m is right here. There's a similar long-standing myth in baseball that a ball will get somehow bogged down by humidity, and it's simply not true. Humid air is actually less dense than dry air. Think of it this way: we all know that air is made mostly of nitrogen (~78%) and oxygen (~21%). Nitrogen gas is N2, which is ~28 g/mol, and oxygen gas is O2, ~32 g/mol. Water vapor is, of course, H2O, which is ~18 g/mol. There are other factors that come into effect with regards to drag, but they're highly insignificant in comparison. Or, if you'd like, from [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air#Density_and_mass]Wikipedia[/URL]: [QUOTE]Water vapor The addition of water vapor to air (making the air humid) reduces the density of the air, which may at first appear counter-intuitive. This occurs because the molecular mass of water (18 g/mol) is less than the molecular mass of dry air (around 29 g/mol). For any gas, at a given temperature and pressure, the number of molecules present is constant for a particular volume (see Avogadro's Law). So when water molecules (vapor) are added to a given volume of air, the dry air molecules must decrease by the same number, to keep the pressure or temperature from increasing. Hence the mass per unit volume of the gas (its density) decreases.[/QUOTE] That said, I have no idea how the effects of humidity Lucius described would compare to this.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by LovinItAll

Our club waters several times during the day, especially during the hotter days of summer. Any additional roll we get is from the fairways being nearly perfectly manicured, not from being especially firm. As I said before, I'm sure there are courses here that have hard fairways, but I don't play them.

I can't imagine most courses in the desert paying so much for irrigation. A nice course I can understand, but I'd say most courses will let the turf play firm and fast rather than pay a bunch for watering the fairways. Certainly the greens are going to be kept alive, but it's cheaper to use less water and specially bred grasses to minimize their budget if they're a 20$ type track. Hell, If I hit the ball 30 yards farther on one course, I might not go elsewhere if I were ego conscious.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I can't imagine most courses in the desert paying so much for irrigation. A nice course I can understand, but I'd say most courses will let the turf play firm and fast rather than pay a bunch for watering the fairways. Certainly the greens are going to be kept alive, but it's cheaper to use less water and specially bred grasses to minimize their budget if they're a 20$ type track. Hell, If I hit the ball 30 yards farther on one course, I might not go elsewhere if I were ego conscious.

You may be right, I don't know. Our three courses are on an Indian reservation, so they have no water restrictions and only pay for the electricity to pump the water. They keep the whole joint heavily watered. Edit: jimdangles didn't say anything about hard, fast fairways. He said the ball flew further and implied that was the reason for his driver, 8i into a 500 yard par 5. We've got 12 par fives that all play 500+, and he's not hitting driver 8i into any of the greens unless the 8i is on his third shot.

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

I play at one of the low end courses in town, and they water allot, I mean allot. I'm always dodging sprinklers while playing. Tee box fairways and greens. I also heard it cost more to golf in Las Vegas then anywhere else in the country on average due to tourism, and the courses out here look pretty damn good. Even the ones out in the middle of the dessert.

It looks like they keep the stuff out here over watered, its a damn shame actually LOL.

Sincerely, Jim

Originally Posted by Shorty

There is every reason to doubt him.

He posted a swing video.

It's been pretty well established that the OP is a confused individual who is very unlikely to hit it much more than 200.

He has probably had a serious wake up call with a launch monitor.

When was it " well established that the OP is a confused individual who is very unlikely to hit it much more than 200." Or are you just talking out your arse like always. Its been established that I can swing the club at least 107 and weather or not thats me swinging for the fences or not, most people think I could get a hold of one now and get it out there 300, and thats all I ever said I did. Not sure why its so unreasonable.

Let me add confused to list of insults that are incorrect about me lol.

Sincerely, Jim

Note: This thread is 4244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!