IGNORED

Johnny Miller Master Thread

wengerlaw
Note: This thread is 3275 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Thoughts on Johnny Miller (as an announcer)

• Johnny's one of the best announcers in the game
    • Ehh... he's OK
    • I hope Johnny and his nasally voice go away... forever

Miller does call it like he sees it...balls and strikes.

He does go too far at times....usually when he's trying to be the expert...and yes, he does repeat himself too often.

He's okay to me...but he's not my favorite by a larger margin.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Yeah, I agree with you on how he repeats himself way too much, but as you said it's an 11 hour broadcast you can't just sit there and say nothing. You are going to have to repeat yourself eventually.

Yeah that's true too. I guess there's only so much you can say in 11 hours. Yeah I like Faldo too.

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen the article. I agree with virtually everything in Part One, other than I certainly prefer Baker-Finch to Clampett.

The summary of Feherty is particularly astute. His writing is very creative, much better than his on course commentary, although I didn't appreciate the gross political pseudo joke in his writing last spring. Feherty as a commentator was far superior before he thought he had a reputation to uphold. Now there are tons of forced comments every week, and his coddling of Tiger is like a parody. I'll look forward to Part Two, with a prediction I probably won't be in as much agreement, once he gets to the NBC guys.

I hate the way he's always telling us what the pros should have done. If he really was as good as he wants us to think, Tiger would be chasing his records instead of Jack's.

I will give him credit though...at least he still refers to "fairway woods" and not "fairway metals" as some of the LPGA announcers do.

I grow weary of his instant assessment of a players swing. He must be able to see a swing in real-time and before the ball hits the ground he can already deliver a detailed analysis of what they did wrong and exactly how to fix it.

I wish there was a "mute Johnny Miller" button on my remote.

SubPar

I grow weary of his instant assessment of a players swing. He must be able to see a swing in real-time and before the ball hits the ground he can already deliver a detailed analysis of what they did wrong and exactly how to fix it.

He's certainly not the only one to do this though. Some things they go overboard with.

I liked when I heard Faldo the other day say, "Looks like he's got an 8-iron from here." when someone was readying to tee off on a par 3. Then when Dottie (or whoever it was) confirmed it was an 8 he said, "Hey, I know the lofts." I don't know where the hell he was sitting, but I'm sure it was either a tower or he was looking at the same picture we were on one of his monitors, and either way I wasn't buyin that he can tell a 7/8/9 apart while a player is twirling it in their hand for a second.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

Johnny comes off as arrogant, bitter, and he gives off a negative vibe....but he does add entertainment value to the telecast; you never know what will come out of his mouth.

I started laughing last weekend when he kept calling shots "skanky". I thought that word only applied to loose women but apparently I'm wrong. It cracked me up when I kept hearing "That was a seriously skanky shot Dan".

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

Johnny is the man! He adds good color, which is his job. Yeah, he might come across as arrogant and an a**, but I find it kind of refreshing someone isn't afraid to be that way at times, especially when it is so entertaining.....

Anyone he berates deserves it everytime. What, are we so sensitive we can't accept a former good golf pro like Miller be critical of another golf pro at times?

I think my personal favorite was years ago at the Ryder Cup he suggested (I believe) Justin Leonard? to just go home...... (cause he was playing so badly)

Here's to Johnny sticking around for many years to come.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

I think my personal favorite was years ago at the Ryder Cup he suggested (I believe) Justin Leonard? to just go home...... (cause he was playing so badly)

Yeah, of course, the next day Leonard sank the famous putt that won the Cup for the US, so...

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

• 4 months later...
Is it me, or does Johnny Miller get a little too excited when analizing* players physiques. Now that Tigers MIA, I see that he's found a new intrest in Camilo's "thrusting torque filled thighs". Im not trying to pick on Miller, but it's just too easy. And on that matter, dont you think there is about 100 better golf announcers out there?

In my bag, I carry
Karsten 7* IST 3wood 1200LT 5wood
MP-14 3i-PW
MP-Tseries 56-10 RawHaze
Golfsmith Attack 60-10 DeepRed Fluid Feel putter w/fatshaft proV1's when I can afford 'emCourses I love to play: http://pebblecreekgolf.org/ http://www.byronhills.com/ http://www.golfmohr.com/http://ww.....

Yes ...you are correct sir!!!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I'm sure there were more, but I only heard him say "trap draw" once today. And I wonder, could he have stuck his nose up Jack's ass any further?

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Is it me, or does Johnny Miller get a little too excited when analizing* players physiques. Now that Tigers MIA, I see that he's found a new intrest in Camilo's "thrusting torque filled thighs".

He likes his "muscular arms" also.

It was a nice of Miller when he said he missed Tiger and told him (if he was watching) to "get back out here". To be cynical, the comment could have been self-serving to get better ratings, but I thought it was a welcoming gesture.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I'm sure there were more, but I only heard him say "trap draw" once today. And I wonder, could he have stuck his nose up Jack's ass any further?

He did go off on someone yesterday for sole-ing (not a real word, I don't know how to spell it) his wedge too deep in the rough.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im thinkin' ole Johnny belives that were all just visiting in his utopian world, Even Jack was looking at him like 'step off already' especially when Johnny had to reassure to Jackthat they were "old buddies"

In my bag, I carry
Karsten 7* IST 3wood 1200LT 5wood
MP-14 3i-PW
MP-Tseries 56-10 RawHaze
Golfsmith Attack 60-10 DeepRed Fluid Feel putter w/fatshaft proV1's when I can afford 'emCourses I love to play: http://pebblecreekgolf.org/ http://www.byronhills.com/ http://www.golfmohr.com/http://ww.....

I must have had my Johnny Milter working today - I didn't even notice him making the same man love comments Dan Hick was (as I ranted about in the Honda Classic thread). Weird.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 3275 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!