IGNORED

Johnny Miller Master Thread

wengerlaw
Note: This thread is 3276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Thoughts on Johnny Miller (as an announcer)

• Johnny's one of the best announcers in the game
    • Ehh... he's OK
    • I hope Johnny and his nasally voice go away... forever

One of the best parts of the open...... is when he served America's weatherman Al Roker on Friday. Al said the day would be a washout. Then Johnny took him on and started talking about the radar and how the storms would dissipate over long island. He sent Roker home for the weekend with the rest of the boys who didn't make the cut.

Agreed, that was a highlight of the tournament. Just imagine the golf weaklings on CBS if their weather guy had made a similar pronouncement. They would have been bowing to his expertise, and then covering for his inaccuracy later in the day. Miller dismissed Roker, but with a grin not disrespect.

I was thinking about all the replies to this thread, or similar threads on other sites, if Miller had botched the weather prediction. The haters would have mocked him relentlessly. But when he was correct, it's total silence. Still, Miller is not as bold as he used to be. I miss that. He also latches onto certain themes and pounds them, like soling the club too deep in the rough, causing chip shots to come up short after hitting the dead section high on the clubface. That is a very astute point. In fact, my dad couldn't stop grinning when I gave him that tip during a round a few weeks ago. He adjusted and held the club at ball level and suddenly his pitches were soft and true. Miller uses it so often it's almost cliche but I guess the Open is a much bigger audience and he feels justified in abusing his best stuff. For an NBC golf telecast, the word grain showed up less than I can ever remember in the Miller era.

Miller and Faldo may have their faults, but I'd rather not go back to Lanny Wadkins, Ken Venturi and Curtis Strange. They were awful announcers. Bland and talked alot, but never really said anything.

Listen to anybody for 6 consecutive hours and you'll get sick of them.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just feel people are too harsh on the announcers. He won't be right all the time, it's not the easiest job in the World.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

• Administrator
For an NBC golf telecast, the word grain showed up less than I can ever remember in the Miller era.

Heh, I think that was one of my predictions on the main part of the site... "grain." On poa or bent greens... Oh Johnny.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Heh, I think that was one of my predictions on the main part of the site... "grain." On poa or bent greens... Oh Johnny.

And we should never forget "fall line".

Miller and Faldo may have their faults, but I'd rather not go back to Lanny Wadkins, Ken Venturi and Curtis Strange. They were awful announcers. Bland and talked alot, but never really said anything.

Man, you should be slapped for saying that Ken Venturi was an awful announcer. That's just wrong. You're entitled to your opinion, I suppose.

Johnny Miller may have been a great player, until he got the yips. And he does know the game of golf. But he never has been a good golf announcer/analyst, and he never will be. When I listen to him I just want to jump through my TV screen, and roundhouse kick him right in the face.

I agree with you. I will give Johnny credit for this statement: "If Phil pars #15, he will win this Championship". Sure enough, Phil bogies #15 and loses. That kind of call is what real broadcasting is all about.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Miller does say his share of interesting things, especially when he talks about really subtle things like "When your hitting to an uphill green from a flat lie, you're going scoop it..." that I actually think can be interesting.

But, man he needs to lighten up on Tiger's swearing. I know he's a Mormon and all, but man, he almost starts ranting every time Tiger says something. Now, Tiger's outburst at Pebble a few years ago was over the line, but if he pulls a shot and let's out a single four letter word, Jhonny gets his knickers in bunch.

The other thing that drives me nuts is that apparently every other commentator on NBC must start every sentence with "Oh, I agree, Johnny."

I forgot to mention that the Roker/Miller Weather off was GREAT. Nothing against Al, but watching Miller show him up was funny.

I agree. It was one of the highlights of the telecast, and one of the best moments in recent broadcasts of golf Majors.

Miller does say his share of interesting things, especially when he talks about really subtle things like "When your hitting to an uphill green from a flat lie, you're going scoop it..." that I actually think can be interesting.

Yeah he makes a huge deal about cursing in his book. (I'm only on page 30 so far but that's one thing he's already addressed, haha.)

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Still, Miller is not as bold as he used to be. I miss that. He also latches onto certain themes and pounds them, like soling the club too deep in the rough, causing chip shots to come up short after hitting the dead section high on the clubface. That is a very astute point. In fact, my dad couldn't stop grinning when I gave him that tip during a round a few weeks ago. He adjusted and held the club at ball level and suddenly his pitches were soft and true. Miller uses it so often it's almost cliche but I guess the Open is a much bigger audience and he feels justified in abusing his best stuff.

I need to start doing that, I've noticed out of the rough I'm making contact high on the face, especially around the greens with my wedges.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I think his comment about phil and paring #15 leading to a win was awful, but that goes with everything I would expect from Johnny Miller. He was asked about what he thought of Glover winning and he started by talking about Phil, and the cinderella story with Amy and the 4 runner ups, and the rest of Johnny's own personal agenda. But that's MY take because some may like his personal opinion but I would take a Feherty/McCord day over any combo possible. Maybe throw in Faldo for some awkward humour because it would be over his head.

Does anyone remember when Johnny's son Andy was playing on tour? he lasted about 18 months I think and in every broadcast and no matter who the player was, Johnny would start saying "My son Andy had this putt" and "my son Andy was in that grass" and Andy ended up quitting golf - and becoming a priest. not to say that the two were related, but if I played in the NHL and my father the broadcaster talked about the goals I scored on every particular goalie, it would probably be annoying and I would get some crap for it.

I have to say that I am not impressed with Johnny as a broadcaster because of his smug, arrogant-like, over confident, living off my ball striking days shooting 63 at oakmont attitude which appears at unnecessary times and mostly in a negative fashion to players not on "johnny's USA ONLY list".

I think his comment about phil and paring #15 leading to a win was awful, but that goes with everything I would expect from Johnny Miller. He was asked about what he thought of Glover winning and he started by talking about Phil, and the cinderella story with Amy and the 4 runner ups, and the rest of Johnny's own personal agenda. But that's MY take because some may like his personal opinion but I would take a Feherty/McCord day over any combo possible. Maybe throw in Faldo for some awkward humour because it would be over his head.

Some of your comments are "on the mark', especially the way he overdoes certain themes. You are correct in what you say about the period when his son was on Tour. My overall evaluation of Miller is that he has more positive characteristics than negative ones, but sometimes I do have to mute him. In the past year, he has gone overboard about one particular golfer. He used to be balanced in his analysis, but now, he is one sided in talking about him and praising him. In other words, he has "jumped on the band wagon". I know that I have said this before, but I do believe that Dottie Pepper does a great job of combining excellent swing analysis, insightful comments on the mental side of golf and course management, and putting us "inside the ropes" with the situation at hand and what might be going through the player's mind. She has won two Majors and was a good, fiery competitior. She uses that experience well, and keeps up-to-date on today's players by spending time talking to them during practice rounds. My son and I have gone to some of the practice rounds, and watched Dottie touring the course and talking to players. When she is talking, I pay attention. That is not true with many of the other golf broadcasters.

I've said it before, I don't enjoy Miller's delivery and his I was going to predict that statements.

The other guy I don't like is McCord and his ramblings.

I've said it before, I don't enjoy Miller's delivery and his I was going to predict that statements.

I agree with you. Sometimes, a broadcaster "overstays his welcome", and his style and comments get tiring. McCord has reached that point. Golf on TV needs some fresh faces.

I grew up playing junior golf with Johnny's sons and used to be good friends with Andy before we went our separate ways in college.

I got an up close look at Johnny, even been to their house several times in Napa and got to see the US Open trophy, which I'm sure will come as no surprise to many, was made the centerpiece of the entire house.

I got to see the good and bad sides of him quite a bit.

First, the good. He is genuinely a good person at heart. The entire family were really a good bunch of people that treated me with a lot of warmth and kindness. They really went out of their way to make me feel welcome. You can really tell Johnny took a lot of pride and loved his wife and kids, which goes a long way in my book in measuring someone's character.

Then the bad. What gets said about Johnny a lot, that he's an arrogant ass that isn't very considerate of other people is true...SOMETIMES. OK, a lot of times. I personally only had one bad interaction with him, playing in a junior tournament in Sacramento with one his sons (Scott), but witnessed a lot more with other kids.

I was in a fairway bunker and playing fairly well at the time when, right in the middle of my backswing, comes Johnny Miller in a cart flying 100 MPH jumping roots through the trees to come out and follow his son. Totally f-ed me as I bladed one directly into the lip of the bunker, where it plugged and ultimately forced me to take an unplayable.

I ended up making a quad on the hole and was so pi$$ed it completely destroyed my round and took me out of contention. I glared at Johnny the rest of the day and couldn't shake the thought of wanting to wrap a club around his neck. Everyone knew he f-ed up, him and Scott included, yet only Scott had the class to come up to me and apologize. Johnny never did. That was Johnny in a nutshell. Too proud to apologize for anything.

That always stuck with me and every time I see him now on TV, I can't shake the thought of how much I hated him at the time. He's not one of my favorite people, but his family more than made up for it.

As far his skills on TV are concerned I think he's pretty good when it comes to analyzing actual golf shots. When he veers off on tangents that have more to do with his opinion is when he loses me.

Regardless of what you may think of him though, he was one of the best ball strikers to ever play the game. He would come out to the range sometimes, not touching a club in months, and rip a 3 iron one handed 200+ yards on a rope on his first try. The guy had some serious skill.

Driver: Nakashima HTEC 440cc 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki X73
3 Wood: 909F3 15* w/Fujikura Pro-95 X-Stiff
Hybrid: Nakashima 2 iron 19* w/ KBS Tour shaft 6.5
Irons 3-PW: 690.MB w/ KBS Tour Shafts 6.5
Wedges: Black Nickel Spin Milled 56.11* & 60.04* w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel Wedge ShaftsPutter: Pro...

I grew up playing junior golf with Johnny's sons and used to be good friends with Andy before we went our separate ways in college.

I remember watching Johnny Miller on TV in his prime. He was totally amazing with the accuracy of his irons. From the accounts that I read about his 63 on Sunday to pass all the big names and win the 1973 at Oakmont state that he scored so well because his birdie putts were so short! Hey, he won two Majors, tied the all time scoring record for a round in any Major (that famous 63), won 25 times, and "owned" the desert, where many of his victories were earned. Here is the quote from the World Golf Hall of Fame: The World Golf Hall of Fame says: "In golf's modern era, it's commonly understood that no player has ever achieved the brief but memorable brilliance of Johnny Miller. ... (In 1974-75) Miller hit the ball consistently closer to the flag than any player in history. At his best, Miller's game was marked by incredibly aggressive and equally accurate iron play." He does have an ego, and is stubborn in his opinions, but he is the second best golf broadcaster out there (with Dottie being first).

Note: This thread is 3276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!