IGNORED

Does grip size really matter?

Note: This thread is 4297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today I went to local golf warehouse to try some drivers. I think it is time to change my driver since my swing got better and driver shoot little bit high in the air (I play in golf course where there is always winds).

r11 tp 9*, rbz 9.5*, r11s 9*, razr fit 9.5*, 910d2 9.5* with all 3 stock shafts, titleist 910d3 9.5* 65gram shaft, and burner superfast tp 10.5*(my current one). All in s-flex.

The computer showed ball flight and total distance.

All of the clubs' result were about the same (avg 265 yd total) except titleist and r11 tp 9*. I totally hated titleist drivers all combinations. I think it was because they felt too shorter than my current driver superfast tp. I couldn't set up comfortable. Changed to r11 tp and boom! I was averaging 285 yd dead straight with little bit of draw on 10 shots. I couldn't believe it. I was always averaging 265 ish on my golf course and other clubs I tried shoot all over the place. I sometimes hit 280s but thats when I have to really work hard. One thing that is particularly different about r11 tp was grip size and lie angle. Grip was big. I really liked the feel of it. Lie angle was upright I believe. Do you think the grip or lie angle had the effect or is it the r11 tp technology.

Btw, I was not wearing gloves. I play my irons about 1.5 degree upright.

What is the best loft for me? launch angle and spin rate? I think spin rate for r11 tp was around 3700 rpm lauch about 11* could not see it as the chart quickly disappeared.

Please help me! I really love golf and want to get better.

My swing speed-around 100mph

handicap-15

experience-1year

gender-male

From what I have been told, unless you have huge meat hooks or tiny hands, grip size is mostly about feel and preference. I use oversize grips on all of my clubs, but I do have huge hands.

What size glove do you normally wear?  I have small hands and use a small size glove.  I have undersized grips because it is easier to close the clubface when I swing.  If I use standard grips, I tend to leave the face open and end up slicing or blocking it right (R handed).

Currently in the Grom: Driver: Ping G15 13.5;  Woods: Adams XTD 5W 18.5, TM R11 7w 22; Hybrids: Cleveland Mashie M4 and M5; Irons: Mizuno JPX800 w/Nippon NSPro950 S;  Wedges: CG16 48* CG15 52* CG15DSG 56*;  Putter: Rife 2bar hybrid mallet Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome

From what I have been told, unless you have huge meat hooks or tiny hands, grip size is mostly about feel and preference. I use oversize grips on all of my clubs, but I do have huge hands.

Lamkin oversize here - love 'em

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recently had Golf Price Tour Wrap midsize grips put on a couple of my irons, just to try.  So far, I like them and will do the rest of the clubs soon.  I don't seem to grip the clubs as tightly with the slightly larger grips.

Midsize, but I fit oversize grips. I like the feel a lot better than standard size grips. Grips that are too small cause the tips of my fingers to sit under my palm, which feels weird.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Grips can make a difference because they help you control the clubface better.  If your hands are too big for the grips you wont be able to grip them as securely.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

It matters, but it is an individual thing and you probably got some wiggle room. I've no doubt that many players can use different grip sizes and play equally well. You just have to find what works best for you. The standard guidelines are a good place to start, but they are not rules.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i got too handsy with my clubs with standard grips (i wear an xl/xxl glove) and midsized help me get that firm, yet relaxed grip. i use the multicompound GP on my driver and tour velvet midsize on everything else.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Note: This thread is 4297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!