IGNORED

My Swing (Jetfan1983)

JetFan1983

HAHA, Matt, if I could stop there, I would!!!! I told you shortening your swing was hard!!!!

Hey if you can do it in your practice swing, you can do it in your "real" swing. I would start by making slower full swings (big surprise) at like 30-40% speed.

It can be done, I used to swing my 7 iron past parallel. I'm a former over-swinger ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey if you can do it in your practice swing, you can do it in your "real" swing. I would start by making slower full swings (big surprise) at like 30-40% speed.

It can be done, I used to swing my 7 iron past parallel. I'm a former over-swinger

And no one believed that I am swinging at 60% of my full speed???

This really works, I was also amazed.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

It can be done, I used to swing my 7 iron past parallel. I'm a former over-swinger

And no one believed that I am swinging at 60% of my full speed???

This really works, I was also amazed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

HAHA, Matt, if I could stop there, I would!!!! I told you shortening your swing was hard!!!!

Alright, I got out there around lunch time and worked on this and got this swing on camera. I'm swinging at like 50 mph here. Obviously some other pieces went south, but the focus was solely on controlling the length of the backswing. I basically just tried to make my practice while hitting the ball. Result was a dead straight shot that went about 80 yards or something, but it went high and off the sweet spot. Plus, it was a floater ball so those don't go very far anyway. But, it's progress!!!!

See?? I can listen too, you guys! Plus, I was checking the site on my phone and saw these two posts and used them as inspiration for this swing. Thanks for the assistance, guys! :dance:

I can't stress enough how hard it is for me to even find the golf ball let alone the sweet spot when I swing this short. Please be the start of something good!!

Constantine

I can't stress enough how hard it is for me to even find the golf ball let alone the sweet spot when I swing this short. Please be the start of something good!!

Nice swing!!!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Result was a dead straight shot that went about 80 yards or something, but it went high and off the sweet spot. Plus, it was a floater ball so those don't go very far anyway. But, it's progress!!!!

Good

Mike McLoughlin

Nice swing!!!

Quote:

Result was a dead straight shot that went about 80 yards or something, but it went high and off the sweet spot. Plus, it was a floater ball so those don't go very far anyway. But, it's progress!!!!

Good

Thanks, guys! You know, I have shortened it before, with James, but this is extra special because I did it without him there watching me.

Suck it, regression! :-D

Long way to go, but this is a confidence builder.

Constantine

Re-upped with evolvr the other day because I need some assistance on key no.3 -- at least, I think that's what I need.

I haven't gotten my lesson yet, but in an email today, @james_hirshfield told me to square my knees up sooner in the downswing (open more) and then increase no.3 accumulator in the downswing.

So basically, I'm gonna do what the guy in the green shirt and black pants does in this video James made a year ago:

Hopefully whoever does my evolvr agrees with James.... unless it's James himself doing the lesson, in which case great, but if they decide to go with someone else, I'm fine with that too and always willing to listen.

Anywho, I'll also make a video for the "in the rough, close to the hole" thread just so @mvmac and co. can make sure I'm not doing something really dumb in my approach to the shot.

Wish me luck, fellas! Should be a good weekend! :-)

Constantine

Following along with my previous post, here's me doing key no.3 work. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but we'll see. Using a 9 iron here.

Compare that with the last time I practiced where I was really losing lag and had no flat left wrist at impact:

Anyway, I guess this is decent work, but I have no idea really.

Slightly better I think. Who knows.

It'll be interesting to see what evolvr says. James of course already gave me some stuff thru email real quick, but I'm still looking forward to the video lesson.

Constantine

I'd be happy to trade you swings.... :-D

Looks pretty good, although at that speed, these OLD eyes seem to think you may be flipping just a wee bit at contact..? Might be my eyes playing tricks on me again though..Lol  Also, if nothing else, you look good out there dressed all golfed up and such.. :-P

I'd be happy to trade you swings....

Looks pretty good, although at that speed, these OLD eyes seem to think you may be flipping just a wee bit at contact..? Might be my eyes playing tricks on me again though..Lol  Also, if nothing else, you look good out there dressed all golfed up and such..

Haha, appreciate it, Hammer. Yea, I'm flipping a lot with that 6-iron.

I hit a lot of pushes and push fades when working on key no.3 today, so this is gonna take some time. Unless of course evolvr decides to take me in a different direction, then I'll work on what they want.

And yea, haha, new golf shirt. I've never been a shorts wearing guy, even before I picked up golf. I guess it makes sense since I'm not a beach guy either. Plus, it saves me money on sun block :-P

Constantine

Sorry for the double post, but check out this shank today. I feel like I was so close to this being a good swing, but I could be wrong. I know sometimes a shank can still mean you're changing something.... although, that said, this could just be a horrendous swing, I dunno LOL :-D

Obviously the backswing is still too flat, but this had potential, maybe? Sort of? :-D

Maybe this swing just sucks. Posting just because I could be handle dragging, in which, I case I don't want to do that, so someone please stop me before I hurt myself :-P

Constantine

Yeah that looks much better than my shanks, nice work! :D Your swing is looking very good.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Yeah that looks much better than my shanks, nice work! :D Your swing is looking very good.

Thanks, cipher. I'm assuming my shallow-to-steep move is contributing to the results I'm getting. However, it is cool how I've at least shortened the swing.... Going thru a lot of changes this week. At least it's good to know I can change it when I want to... but it'll just take time, practice and the right guidance to get it where it's useable out on the golf course.

I'm optimistic though :-)

Constantine

Thanks, cipher. I'm assuming my shallow-to-steep move is contributing to the results I'm getting. However, it is cool how I've at least shortened the swing.... Going thru a lot of changes this week. At least it's good to know I can change it when I want to... but it'll just take time, practice and the right guidance to get it where it's useable out on the golf course.  I'm optimistic though :-)

Yeah I am really liking that shorter move back. So basically you are thinking that you have been getting too steep in the downswing right? That and cleaning up key #3. A shank could be a sign than you are starting to flatten it out a bit, but I don't know. It is very interesting to me because I have the opposite problem, I go back shallow but I stay there too much so. The only thing I can do is try and hold on by turning fast. Like you I can take it back steep but I can't find the ball either. Because I stay shallow my arms tend to fly off my body and that is why I have shank fits and my exit sucks. I think for you it probably does not need to shallow out a lot right? Probably just a bit? It seems you are really close hopefully to the swing you are looking for to me. Keep at it.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Quote:

Thanks, cipher. I'm assuming my shallow-to-steep move is contributing to the results I'm getting. However, it is cool how I've at least shortened the swing.... Going thru a lot of changes this week. At least it's good to know I can change it when I want to... but it'll just take time, practice and the right guidance to get it where it's useable out on the golf course.

I'm optimistic though

Yeah I am really liking that shorter move back. So basically you are thinking that you have been getting too steep in the downswing right? That and cleaning up key #3. A shank could be a sign than you are starting to flatten it out a bit, but I don't know. It is very interesting to me because I have the opposite problem, I go back shallow but I stay there too much so. The only thing I can do is try and hold on by turning fast. Like you I can take it back steep but I can't find the ball either. Because I stay shallow my arms tend to fly off my body and that is why I have shank fits and my exit sucks. I think for you it probably does not need to shallow out a lot right? Probably just a bit? It seems you are really close hopefully to the swing you are looking for to me. Keep at it.

Thanks, cipher. Your swing's waaaaaay better than mine, so if I could get more "cipher" I'd be a much happier camper :-D . You keep at it as well. Thanks for sharing some info about your motion. You'll fix the exit, I have confidence in your work.

In other news @cbrian just sent me a great evolvr video! Looking forward to getting to work on it! Gonna watch this video like nine times tomorrow morning I think :-D

• Upvote 1

Constantine

Good work with the swings in the orange stripped shirt. I like that backswing, sometimes I think you get the entire right arm glued to your side for too long, needs to be some spacing with the elbow and torso. Think with the shank the club head tipped out slightly, almost looks like you're trying to create too much "lag". Don't pull the handle down. Open up and feel the shaft lay down.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

I'm one under thru 7 holes and I just reached two sets of geriatric foursomes in front of me! Nooooooooooo! Lololol figures. Darn Sunday golf by oneself. Oh well. Knew this would happen. ps- evolvr rules. But I guess I'll just sit in the cart and wait. No one's behind I think for like four holes. Hmmmm. Guess I'll just read emails and stuff.

Constantine

I'm one under thru 7 holes and I just reached two sets of geriatric foursomes in front of me! Nooooooooooo! Lololol figures. Darn Sunday golf by oneself. Oh well. Knew this would happen.

ps- evolvr rules. But I guess I'll just sit in the cart and wait. No one's behind I think for like four holes. Hmmmm. Guess I'll just read emails and stuff.

Alright. I finished with a 2-under 34 from the forward tees. Yea, it was the forward tees, so what. Lol, wanna fight about it? JK. :-P

The back 9 had some tournament going on, so I couldn't continue. Oh well.

@cbrian made some very interesting and important points to me about my alignments at setup and that must've clicked with something in me. I also made a conscious choice to slow down my swing tempo and that helped me catch the sweet spot a lot today.

Yea, it was the forward tees. Like 5000 total yards over 18 holes, but I don't care. You still need to get the ball in the hole and this course is rated I think 75.0, 145 from the tips, there's water everywhere, and every green is fast, elevated, and well protected. My short game and putting have improved dramatically in the past year.

The full swing stuff -- namely turning more -- will certainly take some time. But I'm also getting better at timing the swing I currently have, and that obviously was enormous today. I layed up off the tee on half the holes just so I could hit approach shots. I wasn't trying to drive greens.

Anyway, I feel very comfortable inside 100 yards now, and that's no doubt a huge thing in this game, regardless of how far I hit the ball, which will be critical for me whenever I move back to 6500 yards.

For now though, I feel pretty good about the work I've done and am doing. Thanks, everyone. Fun day of practice and nine. :-)

Constantine