IGNORED

Playing Concepts versus Swing Mechanics.

Note: This thread is 4275 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I consider playing concepts to be far more important than swing mechanics. I follow four concepts that cover every shot in the game and only work on refining the swing mechanics when these concepts have been fully adopted. However, the main fundamentals, GAASP - Grip, Alignment, Aim, Stance and Posture - must be adopted before attempting these concepts but swing refinement, IMO, should be tackled later. Concept 1) Involves cutting the grass using a downward action with the club's leading edge for Fairway/Through the green shots - using woods, hybrids, or irons. Concept 2) Tick-tock, a free flowing pendulum motion - PUTTING. (No brainer) Concept 3) Hammer and nail - Using an ink pad, print a large round nail on one side of the ball and pop it on the tee with the nail facing towards the face of the driver/hammer. When the nail is struck with the driver, the player can immediately see where he has struck it. This also encourages the player to endeavor only in the act of striking the nail and let the hammer's loft and dynamics do the work. Concept 4) Exploding long bread shaped chunks of sand out of the bunker, of course the ball sits in the middle and on top of these chunks. It always disappoints me when a player with aesthetically sound swing mechanics falls below his potentiel on the course because he doesn't adopt definite playing concepts.

Concept 4) Exploding long bread shaped chunks of sand out of the bunker, of course the ball sits in the middle and on top of these chunks.

Is that rye, sourdough, white? What kind of bread are we talking about here?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick57

Concept 4) Exploding long bread shaped chunks of sand out of the bunker, of course the ball sits in the middle and on top of these chunks.

Is that rye, sourdough, white? What kind of bread are we talking about here?

Pumpernickel with a side of sun-dried tomato butter, lightly salted. Don't eat too much though or you'll spoil your dinner.

• Upvote 1

Constantine

I thought cutting the grass was accomplished using a lawnmower...

How much loft do you recommend on a 12 pound sledgehammer?

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awwww, man, you got let back in? :doh:

I earned it! [quote name="jamo" url="/t/61012/playing-concepts-versus-swing-mechanics#post_751827"] Is that rye, sourdough, white? What kind of bread are we talking about here?[/quote] Take your pick, the concept is the thing. [quote name="JetFan1983" url="/t/61012/playing-concepts-versus-swing-mechanics#post_751855"] Pumpernickel with a side of sun-dried tomato butter, lightly salted. Don't eat too much though or you'll spoil your dinner.  [/quote] That's the spirit, Jet. [quote name="LuciusWooding" url="/t/61012/playing-concepts-versus-swing-mechanics#post_751918"]I thought cutting the grass was accomplished using a lawnmower...  [/quote] I heard somewhere you can do this with a pair of scissors too. [quote name="LuciusWooding" url="/t/61012/playing-concepts-versus-swing-mechanics#post_751918"] How much loft do you recommend on a 12 pound sledgehammer? [/quote] If its to land on your bonce then the more loft the better.

Formula for a sucessful golfer in the correct order...

1) GAASP

2) Concept

3) Refined swing mechanics

1001) Knowledge of D-Plane

5032) 5SK

Does the list only go to 5,032?

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Formula for a sucessful golfer in the correct order...

1) GAASP

2) Concept

3) Refined swing mechanics

1001) Knowledge of D-Plane

5032) 5SK

Oooh, this is going to go well.

It seems Patrick57's posts come in waves, and then noticed that we're in a full moon right now.    I suspect this isn't a coincidence.

Oooh, this is going to go well.     :whistle: It seems Patrick57's posts come in waves, and then noticed that we're in a full moon right now.    I suspect this isn't a coincidence.

I've been in rehab and my OCD is much better but it seems no one on this board is willing to accept my efforts to improve. Very Sad! :-\

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Clambake

Oooh, this is going to go well.

It seems Patrick57's posts come in waves, and then noticed that we're in a full moon right now.    I suspect this isn't a coincidence.

Nah. Patrick's posts aren't worth a response. I couldn't care less what he thinks, nor do I care to point out that GASP has one A - alignment and aim are the same traditionally. Or they use "PGA" as in "posture, grip, alignment." Oops. :P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nah. Patrick's posts aren't worth a response.

But you can't resist doing so! [quote name="iacas" url="/t/61012/playing-concepts-versus-swing-mechanics#post_752357"] I couldn't care less what he thinks, nor do I care to point out that GASP has one A - alignment and aim are the same traditionally. Or they use "PGA" as in "posture, grip, alignment." Oops. :P [/quote] Are they indeed! The archer aligns himself to the target and then aims. I'm sure most people with half a brain can understand the difference between the two. Oopsadaisies! :E P.S. Do you think it's fair to plaster TROLL all over my posts? As the forum moderator this seems a rather immature thing to do.

• Administrator

P.S. Do you think it's fair to plaster TROLL all over my posts? As the forum moderator this seems a rather immature thing to do.

Yes. And we clearly disagree on the definition of the term "plaster."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Its removal would however be more adult and the sandbagger thing also.

It won't be removed. You've violated the policies of this site and flat out lied (going so far as to pretend to be a woman) and trolled so much that you're going to have that title - and your little red circle that indicates a negative reputation - for a long time.

Have a good day.

Originally Posted by iacas

It won't be removed. You've violated the policies of this site and flat out lied (going so far as to pretend to be a woman) and trolled so much that you're going to have that title - and your little red circle that indicates a negative reputation - for a long time.

Have a good day.

Why not change it to a scarlet "T"?

Patrick,I have read in some of your other posts that you want to discuss golf and some of your ideals.This is not being honest as to why you post your ideals and theories. You are a person that wants to be the "Giver" of great information that you fully understand and others don't and guide them down your path to golf greatness.You do not want people to question your wisdom, you want them to be impressed by it and ram it down every ones throat.

You claim to shoot in the 70's and also to be a teacher .In your mind this gives you creditability and think people will be impressed by it.

I don't think anyone belives that you are a teacher Patrick. For me you gave yourself away by posting pictures of one of your "Students" and asked the forum for advice on how to fix his swing!! Patrick, no teacher would do this. I think you should do yourself a favor and get some help!!

Note: This thread is 4275 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!