IGNORED

Encounter on golf course

WhackAndHack
Note: This thread is 4286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by HoboTrekker

its not okay, you must play absolute shitholes btw, its not acceptable on any decent course anywhere in the world, completely out of order and arrogant beyond belief, a golf course is not to be practised on thats what the practice ground is for, go and ask a greenkeeper if they think playing 2 balls is okay, you pay your greenfee for a round of golf, whether that takes you 70 or 150 shots is irrelevant, you get to play each hole to completion, once, 18 holes, one round.  I'm absolutely astonished among a bunch of golf geeks I have to actually explain that, amazing levels of ignorance on display in this thread.

firstly, your attitude is piss-poor..like you're somehow above everyone else.

Secondly, I don't play shitholes.  I've played from 10 dollar courses up to 80 dollar courses...not once have I seen anyone or anywhere that says "don't play two balls".

I'm sorry if you belong to some snobbish country club where everyone thinks they are a marshall.

The only ignorance I see in this thread is coming from you and your idea that NO ONE ON EARTH EVER PLAYS TWO BALLS.  It happens everywhere.  I bet you that nothing gets said unless the pace of play is bothered by it.

• Upvote 1

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Fore Left

O.K....

I said it before,  but it bares saying again:   "His handicap doesn't matter,  I'd be irritated if I saw a guy playing two balls"     ALSO,  I know guys  (personally)   who are scratch or +1 players who play WAY SLOWER than buddies I have who are legitimate 25 handicaps!     Being "Good"  doesn't mean he is "Fast"

Again,  I wouldn't have said anything,  especially if you were keeping up with the group in front of you,  but playing 2 balls is pretty much a "No-no" everywhere.

Also,  you didn't "see any rules about it" ?    Really?    I didn't   "See any rules about not using a slingshot for my approach shots"   so I guess I should start carrying one.

the rules reference was a note to "golf god" who apparently knows the rules and guidelines of every course in the world..unless they are shitholes as he called them.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Free round?

C'mon.

I've seen guys play 2 balls when they can't move. It all depends on the situation. As long as they don't putt it out, as it was in this case, not an issue to me.

As to the guy confronting others, irritable male syndrome takes its toll.

A little over a week ago.... I hit an errant tee shot on 1.  Into the fairway of 18.  I go up to check the ball that I thought was mine.  And it was another guys ball that was driving his cart up 18 fairway.  I said to him, 'Sir, go ahead and hit your shot.'  He smiled at me and said, 'I hit three balls, so go ahead and hit yours first.' LOL  The guy was a single and playing three balls off of each tee.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the course is all jammed up and I can see a long wait, I'll hit as many balls as I want.  I'll also practice my chipping and pitching after I finish the hole if I see another foursome waiting on the next tee.  But if there is someone waiting to tee off behind, I would NEVER hold them up by playing extra balls, even if there is a congestion in front.

If a marshall tells me to only play one ball, so be it.  But at my club no one has a problem with hitting extra balls as we all know each other.

Hitting extra balls = free round?!?  Please.  It's not like you're getting a free pizza.

Occam's razor

Paradox, not every piece of etiquette is written down. While you are correct that no rule actually prohibits the playing of a second ball, it's just one of those things that is slightly douchebag to do on a busy day at the course. Golf used to be a gentleman's game; it's crap like this that makes me miss those days when the courses weren't full of idiots. Both sides were wrong--the kid playing two balls and the guy swearing at him. It's a complete lack of class on both sides; they should both be banned for life from golf courses. Scratch golfer should know better, I'm ashamed.

Driver: R11s 9 with a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Stiff
Fairway Wood: R11s 15.5 with Miyazaki Kusala Black 83 X-Stiff

Hybrid: taylormade.gif 4 with Fubuki 515 X-Stiff
Irons: titleist.gif Forged 660 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: callaway.gif CC Jaws 52 and 58 Degree
Putter: ping.gif In Anser 2

Originally Posted by Bastid

It's a complete lack of class on both sides; they should both be banned for life from golf courses.

Yeah, totally makes sense. Just ban all scratch golfers for life for practicing. Not just from that one course, mind you, but the game altogether. Set some thermite on his golf bag, fill his shoes with lead, break all the tees and burn the gloves. And of course we need to set his balls on fire. Then we can just put an ankle bracelet on him that administers a 50Kv shock when he's within 30 feet of grass and keep a parole officer assigned 24/7 to make sure he doesn't swing anything resembling a club. If his kids have dimples we'll need to send them to a foster home, and if his wife starts slicing things when she makes dinner she'll have to go too.

All this because he was GOLFING on a GOLF COURSE. Seriously, do you read this crap you're posting? Have someone read it out loud for you so your stupidity can sink in.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Paradox, not every piece of etiquette is written down. While you are correct that no rule actually prohibits the playing of a second ball, it's just one of those things that is slightly douchebag to do on a busy day at the course. Golf used to be a gentleman's game; it's crap like this that makes me miss those days when the courses weren't full of idiots. Both sides were wrong--the kid playing two balls and the guy swearing at him. It's a complete lack of class on both sides; they should both be banned for life from golf courses. Scratch golfer should know better, I'm ashamed.

if he isn't holding anyone up...how is it any different than a foursome playing? I would totally agree if he's got everyone stacked up behind him but since that doesn't seem to be the case...I just can't say its a "douchebag" thing to do or classless or anything else.

I just can't seem to grasp how some people think this is such an awful thing to do.  If you've EVER hit a second ball on the course at any time...you can't really say this guy is wrong.

In my world..the only time I have grounds to say ANYTHING to another golfer is to apologize if I hit into them by chance, perhaps return something they may have lost, let them know where an errant shot ended up, and hopefully I NEVER have to say something to someone who's destroying course property.  Other than that...I am enjoying MY round and you enjoy yours.

The kid shouldn't be practicing and playing from multiple tees if he is paired and playing with others.....common courtesy.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by Paradox

There are no rules at any course I've ever been to that state how many balls you can play. Only that you maintain proper pace of play, observe proper dress, and follow all signs and markings on the course and things like that. Again..as long as you are staying with the group ahead of you, it doesn't matter.

Almost every scorecard I've ever seen says that USGA rules apply.  You cannot play 2 balls under the USGA rules.

There are no rules at any course I've ever been to that state that players are not to take a piss in them middle of the fairway, but I think we all realize it is inappropriate.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Yeah, totally makes sense. Just ban all scratch golfers for life for practicing. Not just from that one course, mind you, but the game altogether. Set some thermite on his golf bag, fill his shoes with lead, break all the tees and burn the gloves. And of course we need to set his balls on fire. Then we can just put an ankle bracelet on him that administers a 50Kv shock when he's within 30 feet of grass and keep a parole officer assigned 24/7 to make sure he doesn't swing anything resembling a club. If his kids have dimples we'll need to send them to a foster home, and if his wife starts slicing things when she makes dinner she'll have to go too.

All this because he was GOLFING on a GOLF COURSE. Seriously, do you read this crap you're posting? Have someone read it out loud for you so your stupidity can sink in.

I tell you what...I'll have someone read the posts to me at the same time you're having someone explain to you what sarcasm and hyperbole are. Sounds good eh?

Driver: R11s 9 with a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Stiff
Fairway Wood: R11s 15.5 with Miyazaki Kusala Black 83 X-Stiff

Hybrid: taylormade.gif 4 with Fubuki 515 X-Stiff
Irons: titleist.gif Forged 660 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: callaway.gif CC Jaws 52 and 58 Degree
Putter: ping.gif In Anser 2

I tell you what...I'll have someone read the posts to me at the same time you're having someone explain to you what sarcasm and hyperbole are. Sounds good eh?

Nah, having 2 people talk at once is bad etiquette. We wouldn't be able to hear them.

Your only previous post in this thread seemed to agree with "don't play 2 balls". While I had doubts that you ever played on a course that wasn't full of idiots (have any of us?), I think I mixed you up with hobotrekker. I claim Poe's Law in my own defense, since his posts were indistinguishable from your apparent parody.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I play by myself a lot.  If they let me off as a single and I get caught behind another group I start playing 2 balls.  Even if there is a group behind me - as long as I am in position, I play 2 balls.  The minute I get out of position I pick up the second ball.

I don't think this is rude or disrespectfull or anything like that.  There is no rule against playing a practice round even if those around you are not.  The "rule" is about keeping pace of play.  On any given day at any given course, people are playing round robbin, scrambles, skins, stroke play, practice rounds and there are a few just plain "drinking beers and messin' around".  Play 5 balls and grill hotdogs on the back of your cart . .I don't care and nobody else should as long as you keep your position.

And I pride myself on playing shithole courses, lol.

• Upvote 2

its not okay, you must play absolute shitholes btw, its not acceptable on any decent course anywhere in the world, completely out of order and arrogant beyond belief, a golf course is not to be practised on thats what the practice ground is for, go and ask a greenkeeper if they think playing 2 balls is okay, you pay your greenfee for a round of golf, whether that takes you 70 or 150 shots is irrelevant, you get to play each hole to completion, once, 18 holes, one round.  I'm absolutely astonished among a bunch of golf geeks I have to actually explain that, amazing levels of ignorance on display in this thread.

+1

Driver: CALLAWAY Diablo Octane 9.5*

Woods: CALLAWAY Diablo Octane 15*

Hybrid: CALLAWAY Diablo Edge 21*

Irons: CLEVELAND TA7 3-PW

Wedges: CLEVELAND 588 51*, 56*, and (60* on standby)

Putter: ODYSSEY DFX 1100 mallet

Bag: NIKE Performance Carry (Lime green/Grey)

Ball: NIKE One Tour D

Ever play a 6 hour round? You might spend 2 1/2 to 3 hours in that time just waiting for the fairways and greens to clear, totally ready to hit. What should you do, bring a smartphone? Guzzle beers? Make 10 practice swings per shot? Go into the woods and search for free balls? Do donuts in the golf cart? Most likely you're just sitting there for as much as 10 minutes per hole. Easily enough time to play the course twice, especially if you don't lose balls.

Personally, if a course isn't keeping pace of play reasonably, (read: letting way too many players on) I'd be within my rights to walk off and ask for a refund. If a marshal or another player bothered me for practicing (in such a way that doesn't affect those behind me), I'd tell him to feck off and do something to get the course moving if he wants me to play a single ball. It's the marshal's duty to keep up pace of play and if they're not trying to take any action, my patience will wear thin. I can't amuse myself in any other way, really. As long as you stay behind the group in front of you, you have no duty to play the course their way. Playing mulligans is against the rules of golf, and it's done on every course every day. But surely the guy behind you won't come up and yell at you? Most likely the group behind them thought they were the cause of the holdup; that would be cause to get upset in my opinion, though not to explode.

Besides, the course is likely a dog track with no maintenance budget. They make money by doing minimal work with minimal staff and get the maximum amount of players on. It's not Pebble Beach where they fill every divot and keep the greens immaculate. I've been told to hit by the starter with a group 250 yards in front of me on the first hole, If I didn't wait until they were out of range I'd have hit them, and I was certainly up theirs all day, even if they wanted to let me through there were other groups holding them up too. If I played a round where I hit every third shot backwards, in order to get more practice, that would be massively arrogant and likely infuriate the other players.

well you'd get kicked off the course then, if you told a marshall to eff off for telling you not to practice youd not get to hit another shot or ever play that course again, its really simple you do not practice on a golf course, ever, the practice ground is for practising the course is for playing, dead simple, unless youre a pro playing in a pro tournament on an official practice day you never ever ever practice on a golf course, its just so disrespectful ignorant and arrogant it defies belief, some of my friends are greenkeepers, their heads would literally explode to read this thread.

firstly, your attitude is piss-poor..like you're somehow above everyone else.

Secondly, I don't play shitholes.  I've played from 10 dollar courses up to 80 dollar courses...not once have I seen anyone or anywhere that says "don't play two balls".

I'm sorry if you belong to some snobbish country club where everyone thinks they are a marshall.

The only ignorance I see in this thread is coming from you and your idea that NO ONE ON EARTH EVER PLAYS TWO BALLS.  It happens everywhere.  I bet you that nothing gets said unless the pace of play is bothered by it.

I know it happens Ive never said noone does it, but they shouldnt, you may not have seen a rule thats cause its so obvious it doesnt even need to be explained, next time you play any course at all ask the starter if its okay if you can play 2 balls see what they say, and I belong to a public course btw, thats one of the top 10 courses in the world, you dont practice on that course or you get banned from it.

the rules reference was a note to "golf god" who apparently knows the rules and guidelines of every course in the world..unless they are shitholes as he called them.

I do as should you if you play golf its your duty to know them, they are the same for every course on the planet unless its a private one that youre a part owner of by virtue of being a member

do you understand ?  practising is fine, but on the practice ground, thats what thats for, not the golf course, you are not allowed to practice on the course, is that so difficult to understand, greenkeepers dont work all week to make the course look nice for you to hit 4 balls on a hole cause you feel like it

yes they do but theyre ****in pros playing on an official practice day its completely different to an amatuer playing a course open to public play, did you not read me saying about idiot amatuers who think theyre on tour ?   when the pros play a practice day the course is closed to everyone but them they might spend 20 minutes on each green hitting putts from all angles to all different pin positions maybe hit 75 putts or more on each green do you think thats okay for an amatuer on a sunday medal ?  never compare what you or other amatuers do to the pros they play a different game under different circumstances.

all thats completely irrelevant, it doesnt matter if he floated to the back tees hit his drive then teleport to the other tees and hit another drive the point is he was playing 2 balls and thats completely out of order on any course anywhere in the world unless its a private course of which he's a member and its very very quiet, even then it may well be out of order depending on the club, its massively arrogant and hugely ignorant, and is against both the rules and etiquette of golf.

Wow, you may want to take the insults down a notch. Just because people have different opinions then yours, doesn't mean you have to act like a rude jagoff.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Note: This thread is 4286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!