IGNORED

Home Course Ringer Score

Chipless
Note: This thread is 1359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Only a few miles away is a short, easy, local course that I play a lot.  The course rating is 66.1.  My average score on this course is ~ 98, and my best score is 89.  Today I grabbed an extra scorecard and filled in the best score I have ever had on every hole.  The total was 65.

As a beginning golfer, I am wondering what this means.  Does it mean that some day ten years from now if all the stars align perfectly I might be able to shoot a 65 here?  Or does it mean nothing at all?  What do you think?

If i did that with my scorecards this year I would shoot a 50 on a Par 72! I've eagled all the par 5s! I actually hope I don't shoot this because then there might be something wrong with me! haha

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

An older former pro I play with from time to time did this at his old home course.  He has made eagle on every single hole except one.  That includes par3s.  Could you imagine doing in one round lol.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

I find that is a motivating exercise. I know I have it in me to shoot par 72 on my home course because my "all time best" is 50. And I have yet to eagle two of the five par 5's. I've never even been on those greens in two. So there is a bit of room for improvement.

I know, as I stand over each tee shot, that if I play the hole one stroke off my best, I'm still on track for a par 72 round. Best ever score was 73. Almost had it.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I remember several years ago watching (or reading) an interview or expose on Annika Sorenstam where she would set a goal when she played of -18.  The logic being that she is capable of making birdie on every hole, so why not?

I agree with Rusty, it's a good motivating exercise.

Originally Posted by Chipless

My best score is 89.  Today I grabbed an extra scorecard and filled in the best score I have ever had on every hole.  The total was 65.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Best ever score was 73.  My "all time best" is 50.

My actual best is 24 strokes away from my theoretical best.  And yours is 23 strokes away.  I find that to be an interesting coincidence.

Just had my coach do the same exercise, and his theoretical best is 25 strokes away from his actual best.

One way I used this tool was to lie awake in bed and recall my best scores on each hole. I could not recall a birdie on the brutal par five 13th hole. It became my mission to birdie that hole and secure my 50. Took three rounds to do it.

I now feel I "own" every hole on the course. At least I did once.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I just did this and my all time best on the course I play the most is a 68.  I also realized there is one hole I never even pared somehow in around 40 rounds at the course....Its not even a super hard hole.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

I just did this and my all time best on the course I play the most is a 68.  I also realized there is one hole I never even pared somehow in around 40 rounds at the course....Its not even a super hard hole.

What is your best legitimate score on this course?  Would it happen to be 91, 92 or 93 by chance?

What is your best legitimate score on this course?  Would it happen to be 91, 92 or 93 by chance?

My best legitimate score at the course is an 88 but the course is a par 70 not 72.

If I can keep playing like I have my last 2-3 times out I think I have a good chance at breaking that before this seasons over though.

Only a few miles away is a short, easy, local course that I play a lot.  The course rating is 66.1.  My average score on this course is ~ 98, and my best score is 89.  Today I grabbed an extra scorecard and filled in the best score I have ever had on every hole.  The total was 65.

As a beginning golfer, I am wondering what this means.  Does it mean that some day ten years from now if all the stars align perfectly I might be able to shoot a 65 here?  Or does it mean nothing at all?  What do you think?

This is known as a "Ringer Score" ...... don't read too much into it because it means nothing.  LOL

My home course ringer score is -29

(I've eagled all 4 par5s and 7 out of 10 par4s)

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

This is known as a "Ringer Score"...... don't read too much into it because it means nothing.  LOL

Pretty much this.

I've eagled the 4 par 5's at the course I play most often. I know i've eagled 5 of the par 4's, their may be more. And I got hole in ones on two par 3's there. Any hole I havent eagled, I birdied. What does it mean? It means on any given day, there is a chance of eagle on any hole. Nothing more, nothing less.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

What is your best legitimate score on this same course?

Originally Posted by ApocG10

I've eagled the 4 par 5's at the course I play most often. I know i've eagled 5 of the par 4's, their may be more. And I got hole in ones on two par 3's there. Any hole I havent eagled, I birdied.

Same question for you.  I'm wondering how far the gap is between your best theoretical score, and your best actual score...

What is your best legitimate score on this same course?

-4 (68)

On the other hand, a ringer score has nothing to do with potential.......a ringer score is just the best score on each hole.   In the old days, the ringer score was always displayed with your HC.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 7 years later...

How many of you have ever calculated your ringer score on your home course? Of course I mean converting the lowest score you have ever made on each hole to one 18 hole score. For instance over 36 years playing at MPCC here in Charlotte, I've made birdie on every hole, I've eagled three holes and have one hole-in-one. So my ringer score is -23 or 48 on our par 71 course. My guess is many of the better players on here might be in the low 40s or even the 30s. Another option might be to limit it to just this year. So far, my ringer score is -15 for 2020. I've birdied fourteen of our eighteen holes and made an eagle last Thursday (my first in nearly 20 years). I hope you all have fun with this exercise. Also, rest assured I'm not going to turn it around and calculate my "clunker" score which would probably be over 110.

• iacas changed the title to Home Course Ringer Score
58 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

So basically my topic was merged with a post from eight years ago, correct?

Pretty much. I’ve made the same mistake.

Although IMO, a ringer score doesn’t mean much (because I’m sure a lot of us won’t ever actually shoot those scores), I have calculated it merely out of curiosity. In two and a half, almost three years of playing my home course, I’ve made par or better on every hole and birdied 14 holes. No eagles. Because the course is a par 72, that amounts to a 58. Not too shabby 😃.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Note: This thread is 1359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!