IGNORED

Americans and Brits Shouting!

Jimmy3putts
Note: This thread is 4213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The shouting doesn't really entertain me or bother me. It's just kind of "there". I can look past it and not be disgusted or die of laughter, I guess I really don't care either way.

Sports are changing and evolving with time. Remember when you could smoke and drink while bowling on the PBA, or seeing players in sports smoke on TV in old film? Now that is not allowed, but they never played hip hop songs after strikes either.

If shouting after a shot in golf is what the new "thing" is, it doesn't bother me.

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

To return to the topic at hand, I think that the shouting is silly when people yell something that doesn't have any relation to golf, like "Mashed Potatoes!".  I'm not a big fan of "Get in the Hole" or "You Da Man!" either, but unfortunately it looks like they're here to stay.  I love the game and think that the shouts are simply attention getting tactics by people who may have had too much to drink or just feel the need to draw attention to themselves because they're just too insecure to not be the "life of the party" and enjoy the game for what it is.

Yeah, I get the impression it's frat guy types (sorry for the stereotype) that just know that they've heard it on tv and think its funny.  I'm guessing the same kind of guys who think farting aloud in public (past the age of 14) is funny.

Quote:

The shouting doesn't really entertain me or bother me. It's just kind of "there". I can look past it and not be disgusted or die of laughter, I guess I really don't care either way.

Sports are changing and evolving with time. Remember when you could smoke and drink while bowling on the PBA, or seeing players in sports smoke on TV in old film? Now that is not allowed, but they never played hip hop songs after strikes either.

If shouting after a shot in golf is what the new "thing" is, it doesn't bother me.

And I agree with this too.  It is what it is, I'm not going to get worked up over it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its because some American fans are idiots, think its funny and want to be heard on TV.  I honestly wish they would start throwing people out of tournaments for doing stuff like that because its rude.

• Upvote 1

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

The majority of any crowd just claps and if they say anything it's 'nice shot', 'yeah', 'good ball', in a moderate tone.

It's only 1 or 2 in the crowd that acts like a jackass. And yes, Golfingdad, I don't think you're stereotyping but let's just call it 'characterizing', but they are the frat type, or the type that talks way too loud to everyone at a bar, or drives agressively, or looks in the mirror and flexes and poses at the gym...we all know the type, right?

• Upvote 1

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

... but they are the frat type, or the type that talks way too loud to everyone at a bar, or drives agressively, or looks in the mirror and flexes and poses at the gym...we all know the type, right?

Yup.

Im sure this is 1 of thousands off Caddyshack videos on here but eventually this is what putting for a major is gonna become

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Yelling "Mashed Potatoes" was a deliberate attempt by the fringe to unsettle the traditionalists that yell "Get in the Hole" or "You da Man"! I don't see it coming in vogue for the mainstream shouters as they are deeply entrenched in their guttural ways.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Yelling "Mashed Potatoes" was a deliberate attempt by the fringe to unsettle the traditionalists that yell "Get in the Hole" or "You da Man"! I don't see it coming in vogue for the mainstream shouters as they are deeply entrenched in their guttural ways.

Everything truly is relative, huh?  They got you to refer to loudmouths at golf tournaments as "traditionalist."

My .02. and believe me that is all its worth.

Anybody that hollers something really stupid, like "mashed potatoes"  should be tased for 3 seconds under the right shoulder blade.  He will think twice about hollering again.  I don't mind people being loud just not goofy loud.

One taser, 3 seconds..............done........

Driver: 9.5 Titleist 910, Fairway Woods: G2 3 wood and 5 woods
Irons: Titleist CB712
Wedges: 52 - Vokey, 56 - Vokey Raw,
Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1
Ball: NXT Tour

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Yelling "Mashed Potatoes" was a deliberate attempt by the fringe to unsettle the traditionalists that yell "Get in the Hole" or "You da Man"! I don't see it coming in vogue for the mainstream shouters as they are deeply entrenched in their guttural ways.

Everything truly is relative, huh?  They got you to refer to loudmouths at golf tournaments as "traditionalist."

Well there has to be a distinction. "You da man" has been a staple for many years. Certainly one could say that "Mashed Potatoes" smacks of disestablishmentarianism.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Its so annoying to me, seriously, all they remind me of are drunk college kids who make themselves look like idiots.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

.... all they remind me of are drunk college kids who make themselves look like idiots.

Which is funny, because most of them probably are drunk college kids who are idiots!

Mashed potatoes got an incredulous chuckle out of me the first time I heard it.  Since then it's just been annoying as are all the other stupid phrases people yell out at golf tournaments so they can go to work the next day and ask their buddies if they were able to hear their idiotic shouts, thus validating they are idiots.

I get golf is trying to be more mainstream, but it's heading in the direction of boxing rather than tennis.  I won't be shocked when idiots start shouting insults at golfers, "Hey Tiger, you're a bum, my mother could hit the ball further."

I hope they stop the shouting, between the poor commentators and live sounds of the stupid crowd I will have to watch with the volume off just to not get annoyed.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Mashed potatoes got an incredulous chuckle out of me the first time I heard it.  Since then it's just been annoying as are all the other stupid phrases people yell out at golf tournaments so they can go to work the next day and ask their buddies if they were able to hear their idiotic shouts, thus validating they are idiots.

In the Olympic spirit, the gold medal of water cooler success would have to be the YouTube capture.

Exactly, everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame these days.

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

In the Olympic spirit, the gold medal of water cooler success would have to be the YouTube capture.

Joe Paradiso

I'm just not understanding how it can bother so many people so much. Believe me, I'm not saying it "shouldn't" bother you, or debating anything with those of you that this drives crazy. Everyone will have their own things that bother them and that is fine.

Personally, I can just shake my head and not care at all. Do I think it's dumb? Of course, but I don't let it drive me insane or bother me. In all honesty, I would probably care more if I was there in person and people kept doing it because at that point I paid good money to attend an event in person and it would be in my realm to probably tell them to shut the hell up. At home though, watching it on Tv, it doesn't bother me one bit.

I would be more pissed if I dropped $500-2000 per pass and someone was ruining my time. When I'm sitting outside having a beer and grilling and watching a tournament though, it's hard to let something so small/petty bother me.

I don't mind going to a football or hockey game and having people cheer or even throw out an emotionally charged profanity every once in a while.  What I find annoying is that the people yelling stupid phrases at golf events aren't emotionally connected to what's going on, they are just yelling things to bring attention to themselves.

Originally Posted by Spyder

I'm just not understanding how it can bother so many people so much. Believe me, I'm not saying it "shouldn't" bother you, or debating anything with those of you that this drives crazy. Everyone will have their own things that bother them and that is fine.

Personally, I can just shake my head and not care at all. Do I think it's dumb? Of course, but I don't let it drive me insane or bother me. In all honesty, I would probably care more if I was there in person and people kept doing it because at that point I paid good money to attend an event in person and it would be in my realm to probably tell them to shut the hell up. At home though, watching it on Tv, it doesn't bother me one bit.

I would be more pissed if I dropped $500-2000 per pass and someone was ruining my time. When I'm sitting outside having a beer and grilling and watching a tournament though, it's hard to let something so small/petty bother me.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!