IGNORED

Augusta National admits two female members

LSU_justin
Note: This thread is 3455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How interesting that this topic comes up in the interview, prior to her membership.

Augusta National Golf Club. The ideal of freedom of association allows single-sex clubs in America. But do you feel in any sense that as a very influential, highly public body, Augusta has an obligation to set a better example by being a mixed club?

No. I actually don't. These are issues for the membership. I've got a lot of good friends at Augusta who are really good people. And it's really up to them. Obviously I don't believe that you can have racial discrimination. That is something that is not only illegal but immoral. But there are women-only associations and men-only associations, and these are things that we need to leave to people to sort out. The face of America is changing, the face of golf is changing. All of this will change. You know, who would have thought that we'd be sitting here in 2011 with a black president and a female Secretary of State at the same time? Or that in 2001 we'd have a black Secretary of State and a black National Security Advisor at the same time? America's changing.

You've been suggested as being an ideal first female member of Augusta National. Do you have any comment on that?

I don't.

That doesn't surprise me. How was playing Augusta as a guest?

It was great. It was really something. I did not break 100 the first time. The second time I did; I think I had a 98. Mostly because I played Amen Corner in three over. I was very happy with that.

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

Originally Posted by turtleback

I don't think they caved at all.  I think they waited until there was no public pressure.  Doing it on their own terms and NOT being seen as bowing to public pressure is what was important to them.  That Burke woman probably delayed the admittance of the first woman member by 5 years.

Doing it 5 months after their tournament, 7 months before the next - brings less media hype.  I'd still view it as caving for the simple fact that they made the change.  Not that I disagree with their decision...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sam004

Augusta National Golf Club. The ideal of freedom of association allows single-sex clubs in America. But do you feel in any sense that as a very influential, highly public body, Augusta has an obligation to set a better example by being a mixed club?

No. I actually don't. These are issues for the membership. I've got a lot of good friends at Augusta who are really good people. And it's really up to them. Obviously I don't believe that you can have racial discrimination. That is something that is not only illegal but immoral. But there are women-only associations and men-only associations, and these are things that we need to leave to people to sort out. The face of America is changing, the face of golf is changing. All of this will change. You know, who would have thought that we'd be sitting here in 2011 with a black president and a female Secretary of State at the same time? Or that in 2001 we'd have a black Secretary of State and a black National

Thanks for sharing.  This is just the sort of thing I would expect her to say - what a marvel that woman is.  A superb choice imo.

Does anyone know if there was a vote or some other kind of assessment of members' views prior to the decision?

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Hopefully this sparks a change in all those small-minded, hate-spawning, bigoted women's only health clubs. I'm sure that Martha Burk will be out in front of them protesting with a mega-phone.

Wait...It's only small-minded if it is Augusta. If women want a women only club, then it's a-OK.

Originally Posted by bamagrad03

Hopefully this sparks a change in all those small-minded, hate-spawning, bigoted women's only health clubs. I'm sure that Martha Burk will be out in front of them protesting with a mega-phone.

Wait...It's only small-minded if it is Augusta. If women want a women only club, then it's a-OK.

There's a big difference between discrimination and providing a place for women to work out without being leered at or feeling self-conscious when there are a million places men can work out.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by bamagrad03

I'm picketing outside the local 'Curves' as I type this.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Shorty

There's a big difference between discrimination and providing a place for women to work out without being leered at or feeling self-conscious when there are a million places men can work out.

Discrimination? Spare me.

People need to stop turning everything into a cause. Men aren't allowed to feel self-conscious? Why are only women granted that concession? For the record, I see NO problem with all-women health clubs. But I think it is absolutely ludicrous that the thought of men wanting a club just for men is in any way backed by hate or discrimination.

Why is it the end of the world if guys just want a place they can escape to (in the same manner women are rightfully afforded)? Tired of double standards.

Everyone is so damn touchy-feely these days. Instead of making everything a cause, why can't we use a little common sense?

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I'm picketing outside the local 'Curves' as I type this.

If they let you in will you Zumba?

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

Some reactions from today:

Martha Burk , quoted in an updated version of Doug Ferguson's story :

"Oh my God. We won," Burk said. "It's about 10 years too late for the boys to come into the 20th century, never mind the 21st century. But it's a milestone for women in business."

Colin Cowherd interviewed Martha Burk on ESPN radio.

Deadspin was less impressed, sporting this headline : "Rich Old Cracker Says Incompetent Woman Can Play Golf At His Stupid Club"

Christine Brennan in the USA Today may need an oxygen mask after this bluster:

Today, one of the last bastions of male supremacy is no more. Today, Augusta National has made a crucial statement to every girl and woman who has thought about picking up a golf club. The message is simple: You are welcome.

That same message is being sent to every girl and woman who has even thought about trying to enter a sport or a field of study or a job that boys and men have dominated. If Augusta National can bring in women, then anyone can.

That's how big of a deal this is.

Gary Player tweeted that it was "great news" the club was admitting its first female members "in 80 years."

Tim Finchem issued a statement,

"The PGA TOUR commends Augusta National Golf Club on the news that it has invited Condolezza Rice and Darla Moore to become its first women members. At a time when women represent one of the fastest growing segments in both playing and following the game of golf, this sends a positive and inclusive message for our sport."

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Will Augusta still be allowed to have mens locker rooms or do they need to let the women in there too?

Excuse me Condi... Can you hand me my towel?

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Excuse me Condi... Can you hand me my towel?

Condi you dropped your soap. Do you want to pick it up or shall I ?

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

Now is too far fetched to see Augusta National announce a womens tournament? Wich one of the LPGA's majors would get the boot for a "womens masters"?

Rosie always qualified

Originally Posted by Snakey

I've heard Rosie ODonnell and Ellen Degeneres have applied too, sorta split the difference.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!