IGNORED

Purchasing my first 60* Wedge.. Wish Me Luck

Note: This thread is 4248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10813075&lmdn;=Brand

This is the one. Any opinions? $30 seems like a steal! And I'm tired of failing near the green.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

Good for you!  Looks like your highest lofted wedge right now is a gap wedge, so you could use a sand or lob wedge.  It took me a while to get used to my lob wedge as I was afraid to swing that hard near the green, but once you figure it out they can be fun.

Driver: Titleist TSR1 12*

3 Wood: Titleist TSR1 15*

4 Hybrid: Titleist TSR1 20*

Irons: Titleist T350 5-W2 23*-53*

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50.12F, 56.14F

Putter: Titleist SC Super Select Newport 2

So far I've been having to deal with little japs with my GW to get me by.. it has been a drag. I'm looking forward to it!

What's In My  Stand Bag

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

Ok I wish you luck.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

Ok

I wish you luck.

This will take me to the next level and become a wedge god. Thank you.

What's In My  Stand Bag

[INDENT][/INDENT][quote name="Goonsidious" url="/t/61796/purchasing-my-first-60-wedge-wish-me-luck#post_763753"]This will take me to the next level and become a wedge god. Thank you. [/quote] I should have added, "you'll need it". In all likelihood, a 60* wedge will add several strokes too your round whenever you use it. But again, good luck.

In David's bag....

Well.. what's the best wedge for 70 yards and in when I just want to lift it onto the green and stop on a dime.

I thought 60 would be that club for me.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Well.. what's the best wedge for 70 yards and in when I just want to lift it onto the green and stop on a dime.

What makes you say that?

In David's bag....

It's a question. I'm not saying IT IS the best club to use.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Originally Posted by Goonsidious

I thought 60 would be that club for me.

Guess it depends on what type of swing you have..for me I use a 58..but it doesn't stop but trickle.

It's a question. I'm not saying IT IS the best club to use.

The one that your skill level allows you to hit most consistently. The higher lofted lob wedges tend to be very difficult for less skilled golfers to hit consistently. They're very easy to hit either heavy or thin? As a result, I tend to recommend that most mid/high handicappers learn to play a partial shot with a less lofted pitching or gap wedge. Most will find the results much better....

In David's bag....

Maybe I'll grab the 58* . I've used the GW enough.. tired of the bump and run.. and not having the right tools in my bag for the right situations.

What's In My  Stand Bag

I snagged a 60* from academy for $7.88 a while back just to try it out. I had played one round with a few of my wife's brothers and they all had a much easier time around the green than I did with my GI set. Looking back, I think 60* was a little too high of loft, whenever I would try a small chip it would stop instead of releasing. The good side is that I've learned how to hit a flop shot and I'm pretty comfortable with it.

I lost my old Cleveland 60 deg wedge, which I really liked.

I replaced it with one of these, because I didn't want to spend a lot ($19.95).

http://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/golf-clubs/wedges/pinemeadow.wedge

I can hit it pretty well and use it to loft a ball over bunkers and such on to the green from inside about 40 yards. I like it. It has a 12 deg. bounce which I think makes it easier for me to hit than some others. Most people like a lower bounce on their lob wedge, but I found they dig in too much and I muffed a lot of shots with a lower bounce.YMMV.

Coming from a high handicapper, I was using an old Dunlop 58° and it was a nice little club. When I upgraded to better wedges, I got a 60° and 56° combo. The 60° is very hard to hit distances with accuracy.  The old 58° was much more accurate when it came to distance. I had no idea the 60° would be that much harder to hit then the 58°, but there is a noticeable difference. I wish I had purchased the 58° and 54° combo, filling the gap with a 50° in the future.

I really am having a hard time with the 60°. It comes up short for me a lot. I would say its costing me 1-2 strokes per round compared to my old 58°. I'm going to tough it out with the 60° though. Something about the higher loft is appealing to me.

Sincerely, Jim

A 60* wedge was the first individual club I bought after I purchased a full starter set. (It only went down to PW) It does have a little bit of a learning curve, at first you are going to catch some thin and even more fat, you will leave a lot of short chips on the fringe, just full disclosure. BUT, I said all that to say this; after you spend some time working with the club and realizing how much of a full swing you can take from surprisingly short distances you will fall in love with it. Unless I am just barely off the green with a lot of green to work with, this is my go to club around the greens. You will eventually learn how to land it with some roll out or stop it on a dime and it will become a very useful club for you. Up until recently I always struggled off the tee, so I had to really rely on my short game, my 60* attributes a lot to that. Just dont try to flop everything...dont forget about the good ol bump and run when you have a lot of green to work with. Good luck!

Why dont you just buy a 56 and hold off on the 60 for now? Got rid of my LW and I dont miss it one bit. Thats one moody

B!#$H!

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I recommend watching Phil's DVD "Secrets of the Short Game" for a little insight on hitting a 60.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 4248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!