Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mvmac

Johnny Miller on Davis Love's pics: "Historically we suck in The Ryder Cup"

30 posts in this topic

Johnny Miller today on the NBC/Golf Channel conference call shared his opinion regarding Captain Davis Love's captain's picks.  Basically focusing on Furyk without actually saying his name.  I think Johnny makes a good point in terms of not having guys with"losing experience", I think Davis made a bad pic with Furyk and should have gone with Bo Van Pelt.  I disagree that the last time the US played well was '08, the team didn't play badly in 2010, the Cup did come down to the last match against a very tough Euro team.

Quote:
I'm not a big believer in doing anything historical, because historically, we suck in The Ryder Cup.  I like new blood.  The bottom line is it shouldn't always be, you know, the ones ‑‑ I would say obviously Tiger and Stricker are really good, but besides that, you ought to just go with your gut feeling.  The U.S. just has not played well except for 2008.

I don't know if you can do anything historically.  People say, you have to pick people with experience; I don't want a guy on my team with losing experience.  I'd rather have a guy that's fresh and says I'm going to win.

I like the young blood personally.  I like it when the young guys sometimes get paired together instead of throwing them in with a veteran that's lost five straight Ryder Cups.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Agree and disagree: Recent history 1979 to current time (since it's been all of Europe in the competition) USA 7 wins Europe 8 wins One tie: wouldn't call that sucking, I'd say evenly matched. Agree: When teams are evenly matched, strategy and the leader are more important. Furyk was a risky pick imo. going into the match, I'd say it's best to show positive support for the leader and his/her strategy. The captain picks have been selected, so the focus should be on how to best utilize the team. The proof is in the pudding; we will find out if his selections and strategy were wise at the end of the event.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Johnny Miller today on the NBC/Golf Channel conference call shared his opinion regarding Captain Davis Love's captain's picks.  Basically focusing on Furyk without actually saying his name.  I think Johnny makes a good point in terms of not having guys with"losing experience", I think Davis made a bad pic with Furyk and should have gone with Bo Van Pelt.  I disagree that the last time the US played well was '08, the team didn't play badly in 2010, the Cup did come down to the last match against a very tough Euro team.

Quote:
I'm not a big believer in doing anything historical, because historically, we suck in The Ryder Cup.  I like new blood.  The bottom line is it shouldn't always be, you know, the ones ‑‑ I would say obviously Tiger and Stricker are really good, but besides that, you ought to just go with your gut feeling.  The U.S. just has not played well except for 2008.

I don't know if you can do anything historically.  People say, you have to pick people with experience; I don't want a guy on my team with losing experience.  I'd rather have a guy that's fresh and says I'm going to win.

I like the young blood personally.  I like it when the young guys sometimes get paired together instead of throwing them in with a veteran that's lost five straight Ryder Cups.

If the goal is to finish in the top 10, then Bo's your man. He has how many career PGA Tour wins now?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by uttexas

Agree and disagree:

Recent history 1979 to current time (since it's been all of Europe in the competition)

USA 7 wins Europe 8 wins One tie: wouldn't call that sucking, I'd say evenly matched.

Well, more relevant to Johnny Miller's point is how well have THESE players done in the past.  No one who was on the 1979 Ryder Cup will be playing in this year's Cup.

Going back to 1995, which was the first year Phil played on the US Ryder Cup team, Europe has 6 Cup wins and we have 2.  4 cups were decided by 1 point.  From 2002 to 2006 we were beaten in 3 straight cups by a total of 21 points.

Those are the Cups these players remember.  Those are the Cups in which we most definitely sucked.

Interestingly enough, the only Cup during that stretch which we dominated was 2008 at Valhalla.  There were 6 rookies on that team:  Anthony Kim, Hunter Mahan, Ben Curtis, Boo Weekley, JB Holmes, Steve Stricker.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Win or lose I doubt it will come down to JF.

It all depends on if he can make his 5HE last through the weekend.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol...

well, i think when it comes to the Ryder Cup it doesnt matter how well the americans have been playing.  i think europe wins because they care more about it and get more amped up.  its simply more important to them than it is to the americans.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anyone got any idea whether Tiger's latest bout of limping will affect his ability to play up to 36 holes a day? I know he'll want to do it, is he upto it though?
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

It all depends on if he can make his 5HE last through the weekend.

He has more energy, he's more energetic, and he's not as tired.

I think Miller is on to something though.  Most of these veteran players know how to lose the Ryder Cup.  It must bring a bad vibe to the locker room.  Incidentally, I bought into the line about Tiger's Ryder Cup record being poor until I saw the other American player's records.  Considering he has only been on one winning team (1999) it is amazing he is basically batting .500.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Anyone got any idea whether Tiger's latest bout of limping will affect his ability to play up to 36 holes a day?

I know he'll want to do it, is he upto it though?

Depends on how he's playing. Playing well, no limp. Playing badly, he won't be able to walk. Right out of the Michelle Wie excuse handbook...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by sean_miller

If the goal is to finish in the top 10, then Bo's your man. He has how many career PGA Tour wins now?

For a match play competition like the Ryder Cup, I would rather have a guy who plays well enough each day to be Top 10 in a regular tour event (aka beating approximately 130 pros while losing to less than 10) rather than a guy who plays well enough to win a PGA Tour event one day and bad enough to miss the cut the next.

Luke Donald has been criticized in the past for not winning enough, but look at his match play record.  Assuming that they don`t have a propensity for choking, a consistently good player will do better in match play than a guy who fluctuates from great to ok/poor.

I wouldn`t have picked JF, but it is good that he has posted top 13s the past two weeks.  I like the USA`s chances but both teams are playing relatively good right now so it could certainly go either way.  Happy to see that Phil has found some form lately.

I`ll be interested to see how Keegan does.  He strikes me as a very good competitor but since the Masters, he has 6 finishes outside the top 58 (including 4 missed cuts) to go along with a win a t3 and 4 total top 25s in 14 events.  Seems like he closes well when he is on, but has a lot of off weeks.  Still, he has improved over last year when he missed 10 cuts.  His most consistent stretch this year was before the Masters when he had 9 straight top 25s including 3 top 10s and a t17 at the Match Play event (meaning he lost in the 2nd round).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by MEfree

For a match play competition like the Ryder Cup, I would rather have a guy who plays well enough each day to be Top 10 in a regular tour event (aka beating approximately 130 pros while losing to less than 10) rather than a guy who plays well enough to win a PGA Tour event one day and bad enough to miss the cut the next.

Luke Donald has been criticized in the past for not winning enough, but look at his match play record.  Assuming that they don`t have a propensity for choking, a consistently good player will do better in match play than a guy who fluctuates from great to ok/poor.

I wouldn`t have picked JF, but it is good that he has posted top 13s the past two weeks.  I like the USA`s chances but both teams are playing relatively good right now so it could certainly go either way.  Happy to see that Phil has found some form lately.

I`ll be interested to see how Keegan does.  He strikes me as a very good competitor but since the Masters, he has 6 finishes outside the top 58 (including 4 missed cuts) to go along with a win a t3 and 4 total top 25s in 14 events.  Seems like he closes well when he is on, but has a lot of off weeks.  Still, he has improved over last year when he missed 10 cuts.  His most consistent stretch this year was before the Masters when he had 9 straight top 25s including 3 top 10s and a t17 at the Match Play event (meaning he lost in the 2nd round).

Luke Donald is a great match player because he's a great putter, and he knows that he has a great chance to get down in 2 from anywhere within 100 yards.  It can be demoralizing for a bomber to outdrive your opponent by 50 yards on every hole, but still have a longer putt.

Keegan will simply annoy the hell out of his opponent with his twitching and spitting.  How can anyone maintain concentration playing with that dude?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by k-troop

Luke Donald is a great match player because he's a great putter, and he knows that he has a great chance to get down in 2 from anywhere within 100 yards.  It can be demoralizing for a bomber to outdrive your opponent by 50 yards on every hole, but still have a longer putt.

I agree that is part of it, but if he was inconsistent, he would not have as good a record.  Also, I would imagine that there are some bombing pros out there with the mental toughness to just play their own game.  Of course, a lot of the bombers are more inconsistent- if the PGA played 5 consecutive events at course set up for bombers in 2011 when he was hot, my guess is that a different bomber would win each week while Luke may have still posted the lowest overall score for the 20 rounds (with some of the winners missing the cut in the other events).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by MEfree

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

If the goal is to finish in the top 10, then Bo's your man. He has how many career PGA Tour wins now?

For a match play competition like the Ryder Cup, I would rather have a guy who plays well enough each day to be Top 10 in a regular tour event (aka beating approximately 130 pros while losing to less than 10) rather than a guy who plays well enough to win a PGA Tour event one day and bad enough to miss the cut the next.

Luke Donald has been criticized in the past for not winning enough, but look at his match play record.  Assuming that they don`t have a propensity for choking, a consistently good player will do better in match play than a guy who fluctuates from great to ok/poor.

I wouldn`t have picked JF, but it is good that he has posted top 13s the past two weeks.  I like the USA`s chances but both teams are playing relatively good right now so it could certainly go either way.  Happy to see that Phil has found some form lately.

I`ll be interested to see how Keegan does.  He strikes me as a very good competitor but since the Masters, he has 6 finishes outside the top 58 (including 4 missed cuts) to go along with a win a t3 and 4 total top 25s in 14 events.  Seems like he closes well when he is on, but has a lot of off weeks.  Still, he has improved over last year when he missed 10 cuts.  His most consistent stretch this year was before the Masters when he had 9 straight top 25s including 3 top 10s and a t17 at the Match Play event (meaning he lost in the 2nd round).

Using Luke Donald as an example of someone cosistently in the top 10 versus someone who consistently wins is like having your cake and eating it too. Bo Van Pelt is no Luke Donald.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Using Luke Donald as an example of someone cosistently in the top 10 versus someone who consistently wins is like having your cake and eating it too. Bo Van Pelt is no Luke Donald.

I agree that Luke is a better player, but think that consistency does mean something when it comes to match play.  When it comes to Captain`s picks, you don`t often have a chance to pick a world #3.  At this pint, JF isn`t a Luke Donald either.

Since the last Ryder Cup, JF and BVP have combined for 0 offcial PGA Tour wins (with Bo winning 1.3 M for his unofficial Asia win last fall).  I would have picked BVP over JF because he had 9 top 10s, 15 top 25s and 3 missed cuts in 2012 compared to 6/12/4 for JF.

With Jim currently ranked #28 and Bo #25, it is a very close call, but hey, we are all entitled to opinions.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by MEfree

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Using Luke Donald as an example of someone cosistently in the top 10 versus someone who consistently wins is like having your cake and eating it too. Bo Van Pelt is no Luke Donald.

I agree that Luke is a better player, but think that consistency does mean something when it comes to match play.  When it comes to Captain`s picks, you don`t often have a chance to pick a world #3.  At this pint, JF isn`t a Luke Donald either.

Since the last Ryder Cup, JF and BVP have combined for 0 offcial PGA Tour wins (with Bo winning 1.3 M for his unofficial Asia win last fall).  I would have picked BVP over JF because he had 9 top 10s, 15 top 25s and 3 missed cuts in 2012 compared to 6/12/4 for JF.

With Jim currently ranked #28 and Bo #25, it is a very close call, but hey, we are all entitled to opinions.

I guess my original point was that someone "like" Bo Van Pelt would be less desirable TO ME than someone "like" Hunter Mahan.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I guess my original point was that someone "like" Bo Van Pelt would be less desirable TO ME than someone "like" Hunter Mahan.

Those two have played pretty similar schedules this season.  In the first 11 events that they both played, HM did better in 6 (including winning the Match Play event, which I do value) and BVP did better in 5.  In the last 8 events, Bo had a higher finish 7 times.  Seems like Bo is playing the better golf currently.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mahan has a better Ryder Cup record than anyone on this year's team.  It's a shame that all folks remember is the duffed chip.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • I used to play all the time as a single (not as much anymore). I never had problems like the ones you describe. I've had the occasional group not let me play through, and an occasional three-ball who didn't invite me to play with them, but nothing like this. I've found more issues when I'm walking. People assume you are going to be slow, or hit into you because they don't see a cart...stuff like that.  
    • My advice is play w what you are comfortable w and what you like the most. I almost didn't get my ap2 irons last year because I was scared into thinking it was more of a better players club. I hit them fine and love the way they fee and look and might end up getting a set of muscle back titleists next year when they release new ones. 
    • I have had somewhat similar issues with league people a time or two. Basically I walked in to the club house, they gave me a tee time that was after their league started, let me know I wouldn't be able to start until around 5 pm. I was fine with that as I just used the time to hit the range first which was by the first tee. I even gave a good buffer after the group before me teed off to just try to give myself extra room before I would catch up by finishing out the bucket of balls I had purchased. As I was getting ready to go over to the tee box which was right next to the range I see two carts pull up and people teed off. I thought I had screwed up by waiting and that another group had come in and gotten the tee time after me. No big deal, my fault I'll deal with it. I let them play up to the green before teeing off, I hit a good drive down the middle, drive up to it and proceed to sit in my cart for probably 10 minutes waiting for them to putt out. Hit the green on the next shot and putt out. As I finish putting the flag in I see they are still not off the next tee which is a par 3. Rinse and repeat the extra long wait on that hole. Then the third hole. Somehow I was actually playing pretty well even with the waiting so I wasn't bothered too much. After finishing up on the third hole and driving over to the tee on the fourth one of the guys in the group turns and tells me "we're in a league so it's going to be slow buddy". I responded that it was fine, I didn't mind. But the problem wasn't that they were in a league, it was that they were just slow players. There was at least two complete holes in front of the one they were on that were open, unfortunately it would have done me no good to jump ahead because then I would have just gotten stuck behind the rest of the league anyway. The wait got so long behind these people that I literally laid down on a couple of the tees and took some mini-naps. Needless to say, eventually it screwed up my game and my score tanked. Good thing the scored didn't count for anything. That's a bit strange that they guy caught up to you but somehow you ended up having to wait on him after that.... I can tell you right now if you let me through I'll typically be off the green before you even get ready to play your extra shot and you end up waiting very little time overall compared to how much time I'll have to wait on your group.  I never ask to play through and sometimes I'll even refuse the offer, especially since my single rounds don't count for handicap anymore. As for your last comment, well I'll just have to disagree there because I have just as much right to be on the course as any group out there. Please see the following comment: So yeah, a single has just as much standing on the course as everyone else. Never the right thing to do, though I admit to having the idea cross my mind a time or two I never actually do it.
    • drmevo, do you mind if I ask where you live (just a general idea)?  I live in northern Minnesota, and play all over the state and in Wisconsin, quite often as a single.  I have had no issues I can remember about either being allowed to play through, or asked if I want to join if it is 3 or less in the group.  I do walk often, using a push cart, or sometimes carrying if I am only playing 9.
    • http://www.gamegolf.com/player/billchao/round/1080660 Could have scored better, but couldn't buy a putt. Burned the edges of more than a few, didn't really get the greenside shots to tap-in distance either which didn't help. Ended up with 39 putts and 0% scrambling. Funny, at the time of the round, I thought I was hitting it pretty poorly since I didn't put any pars on the board until the back. I struggled some off the tee but how bad could I have possibly been hitting it with 7 GIR? Just want to add that the greens were slow and didn't break much, which threw me off all day. Not sure if it is due to all the rain recently or the greens just are slow here, but my partners did mention this course typically has slower greens compared to the rest of the county. Not a fan.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. CrappyGolfer
      CrappyGolfer
      (63 years old)
    2. Jacob Vance
      Jacob Vance
      (20 years old)
    3. jaytee31
      jaytee31
      (47 years old)
  • Blog Entries