IGNORED

Has anyone ever played a course with a Par 6?

Stewie007
Note: This thread is 4246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by zipazoid

There's a hole at Brandywine Golf Club in Peninsula, Ohio - the 16th, which is now a par-5 but for a long time was played as a par 6. It's 575 yards, but it' a double-dogleg that has no opportunity for cutting any corners. It sits at the floor of a ravine, with heavy woods bordering the entire hole. The drive has to be about 240y to even see the next leg, then you have to hit it at least 250y to see the green. If you pull both those off, you're left with about a 100y clear shot to the green, but miss either the drive or the second and there's no way to hit the green.

Here's a pic from about 240 off the tee, what faces you on the 2nd shot -

I remember that hole.. I call it the Z hole.. I played it 5 iron off the tee, hybrid down the middle with a short iron to the green..  No short cuts here..  Black Diamond in Millersburg has a par 6, and plays over 700 from the tips..

Originally Posted by luu5

From USGA HC manual:

Apparently the people at Olympic Club beg to differ with the par 4 definition... It was something like 510 yards on the opening hole Sunday, if I remember correctly. I haven't played a par 6 ever myself, but I have played a 680 yard par 5, thankfully it was all downhill though.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

Originally Posted by JaxGolfer1

Boom!

I'm gonna get one of those when I go there. :)

Originally Posted by Audaxi

Apparently the people at Olympic Club beg to differ with the par 4 definition... It was something like 510 yards on the opening hole Sunday, if I remember correctly. I haven't played a par 6 ever myself, but I have played a 680 yard par 5, thankfully it was all downhill though.

I've played a course where they had a 497 yard Par 4. They changed that this year, though. Now its listed as a Par 5.

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Originally Posted by Stewie007

I'm gonna get one of those when I go there. :)

I've played a course where they had a 497 yard Par 4. They changed that this year, though. Now its listed as a Par 5.

I played a 485 yard par 4, but it was all downhill. Funnily enough, the adjacent hole was a par 5 up the hill that was only 480 yards

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

played apple mountain a few weeks ago that has a par 6 ~ 660 yards. hit the second shot on the green about 12 feet from the cup, two putts for an eagle. its actually quite easy if you hit it over some trees on the first shot.

^^ yep, Apple Mtn, NJ came to mind & has a par 6 - actually pretty easy to par due to the layout.   You must have hit a monster 2nd shot to make the green - I would have liked to see that.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The 18 at Cherry Creek as mentioned before- but I think it was more of a gimmicky sales pitch than anything else. When it first opened there were few if any trees that caused an issue. It was kind of like that commercial when the guy says he "used to go over that tree when I was your age" but back then it was only 12 feet high. A few of those trees have filled in over the last 15 years and have given that hole a bit more definition and made it bit more difficult if you stick too far right. I think it was given a 6 because of the slight dogleg left at about 230 out. MOST people would tend to slice off to the right which meant there was little hope for an average golfer to get anywhere NEAR the green in 3, especially with the last 150 yards being uphill. So if you hit a weak 200yd slice off the tee, you might hit a 200 yd second, then need another to get even close. That added stoke would allow an average guy the chance to hit that 200yd second, then get to a layup yardage and on in 4, 2 putt for a 6 and be able to say "hey, I parred a par 6". When in reality it is a solid par 5 if you can get your drive to draw a bit around the lone tree that sits on the edge of the gorge(water collection pit) on the left side of the fairway, a decent fairway wood to about 130 and make your approach to that uphill green that slopes pretty solid from back to front. I'm usually a bit disappointed if I take a 6 even if it is par. After the first time I played there, I just play it as a 5 because as a five it's a good hole. As a six it's just giving my friends an excuse to get a stroke back because "it's a par 6, it must be a hard hole and we should get a stroke here". Now having said that- playing in the summer, the wind is usually at your back and shortens the hole quite a bit if it's blowing. In April and later in Oct/Nov the wind might be in your face for 600 yards... THEN it's a tough hole.

Here is the link to the golf course ,  beautiful and scenic !

http://www.ljxsgolf.com/English/main.asp

I played here a bout 7 years ago . The longest hole is 711 yards and not 845 y . Sorry .

What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Originally Posted by RayG

It was kind of like that commercial when the guy says he "used to go over that tree when I was your age" but back then it was only 12 feet high.

LOL...Do you know where that line came from?   None other than the legendary Slammin' Sammy!

The legend of the story::

Snead when he was in his 60's or 70's was playing in a practice round before The Masters with some young pro's. While playing a dogleg par4,  Sam says..... "I used to hit the ball right over those trees in the corner of the dogleg when I was your age ".  The young pro's take the bait and try to cut the corner....(all fail)   Then Snead says.......... .'Of course, when I was your age, those trees were a lot shorter.'

Good stuff....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

The American Legion Course in Mount Union, PA has a par 6....638 yds.  It plays longer because the green is elevated very high.  If you're sitting at the 100 yd marker the shot plays like 125 or so.

I've never played a par6...........

With that said, any par6 under 700yds= 460yd par5.  That is my 2 cents on the subject.........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

At one time Chocolay Downs in Marquette, MI claimed the “Longest Golf Hole in the World” at 1007 yards (Par 6). Northern Michigan University bought the course some years ago and redesigned the 6th hole to 440 yards. I could hit driver 4 times and still have a wedge in.

Originally Posted by Roblar

Lake Chabot, Oakland CA.

18th hole is a par 6 --- 673 yards, and almost all of it downhill.

I was just gonna bring this one up. Havent played the course yet but my brother in law loves this place.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Although, when I get a chance I'm going to hike on over to Black Mountain and play it. However, I have a feeling that an 847 yard hole will just feel like a tedious extension of a Par 5 that I'll eventually get sick of.... There's a reason most stop at 5, eh?

hehe

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

I was just gonna bring this one up. Havent played the course yet but my brother in law loves this place.

You've got to play it!  I'm out visiting the in-laws, so I played Chabot today, and I managed a slicey par on the 18th. (...want to play it with me on Thursday? I might be able to sneak away... no promises though - I've got an 8-week old and a 2-year old I'm supposedly helping to look after...)

First shot: 240yd drive; sliced, but the slope took it back to the fringe. 447 to go.  (Yes Buckeye - a 450 yd par 5... and still mostly downhill.)

Second shot: 220yd 5-iron; sliced, but I hit a felled tree, and bounced back into play. :) Probably got about 20 yards of roll after hitting the tree trunk.

Third shot: 230 yard 3-wood; sliced, hit low under some tree branches, and sliced it 20 yds to the right of the green - 50 yards right of where I lined up...

4th: chipped on.

5th: 15' putt to 4 feet (about 7 feet of break - the green is substantially sloped!).

6th: 4' putt for par.

There is a course in Elsberry, MO that has a par 6.   It's 720yds from the back tees.   I've played it once so far (from the whites) and am playing it again Saturday.  Pretty humbling experience the first time I tried it.    There are two creeks and a big tree to deal with on the tee shot and then it is all uphill from the 2nd shot on.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by plum

played apple mountain a few weeks ago that has a par 6 ~ 660 yards. hit the second shot on the green about 12 feet from the cup, two putts for an eagle. its actually quite easy if you hit it over some trees on the first shot.

I've played this one and the afore mentioned Farmstead course in NC/SC.    I think apple mountain needs to update this for more modern times.   I didn't play the full 660, but I hit my drive down the hill (it's a dog leg left, 90 degrees) and was even with the green on my drive.  I hit a hybrid and was about 10 yards short.  Giving me 4 shots from there for par.  I made "eagle" , but it plays as a 5 except for the back tee area.

Farmstead was a really funny course.   I hit 7-iron for my third shot into the 18th par 6.  But that entire course was 10% distance inflation.   All day my group was hitting over and we figured either we teleported to a higher altitude, or the course was about 10-15 yards shorter on every hole.

What makes both of those holes candidates for being a par 6 is that they both have plenty of places to land the ball where it will take you an extra shot to get to the green.   There was a par 5 on the Hershey South course (now RIP) like that.  You could easily hit 2-iron, 5-iron and be on the green.  But it was so tight and bendy that it was better to play as a 5.

Driver:  TaylorMade Burner 9.5 degree R Flex

3-Wood:  TaylorMade RocketBallz 15 Stiff flex

Hybrid:  Cobra Baffler 19 degree

Irons:  Cobra S2 irons  4-PW

Wedges:  52.08 Hogan, 56.14 Vokey and 60.07 Vokey

Putter:  1967 Muirfield Blade putter

Note: This thread is 4246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!