IGNORED

Golfing Idioms and Quotes

tdinneen
Note: This thread is 5843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently read a nice golfing term called a DeVito for tricky little 5 footers Any other essential golfing diction I should know about.

Also, if anyone has good quotes as well. I like these

"Golf is a good walk ruined." - Mark Twain
“If you’re caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron.” - Lee Trevino

Mizuno F-50 3W DS S300
Titleist 906F2 5W UST V2
Titleist 585.H 21 DG S300
Mizuno MP-FLIHI 4 DG S300
Mizuno MP-32 5-PW DG S300Mizuno MP-R 52.07 DG Wedge FlexMizuno MP-R 56.13 DG Wedge FlexTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 60.04 DG Wedge FlexScotty Cameron Studio Newport 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The more I practice, the luckier I get." Gary Player

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10degree
3 Wood: TaylorMade R7 Draw
5 Wood: Callaway BB
Hybrid: TaylorMade R7 Draw 19D
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 4- AWWedge Cleveland CG10Putter: Oddessy 2 BallBall: Bridgestone E5/E6

tdinneen I like the Devito one!

In the Grom Bag:

Driver: 905R 9.5* Aldila NV Stiff
3 Wood: 904F 15* Stock Speeder Stiff
Hybrid: Idea Pro Hybrid 18* Aldila VS ProtoIrons: PI5 4-PWWedges: CG11 52* Rac TP 56* Vokey Spin Milled 60*Putter: XG #9

A quote I shared with my friend a few days ago, as he was preparing to hit over a lake: "You can either hit one more club or one more ball."

He ended up hitting two more balls. =)

Driver: SasQuatch 10.5°, Stiff Flex
Woods: Grand Slam 3-wood & 5-wood
Irons: TPS 7.0 3I-PW
Wedges: 56° sand wedge & 60° lob wedge
Putter: White Hot #6

• Administrator
I've always liked, by way of insult to a friend, "your problem is that you're standing too close to the ball.......... after you hit it."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When a put lips or rims out, I've heard it called a Lewinsky.

Driver: Superquad 9.5° - XS
3 Wood: Big Bertha II 15° - S
Irons: Mizuno MX-20
Wedges: Mizuno 50-06, 56-11, 60-05
Putter: Hog Mallet

After a playing partner hits a bad shot: "Don't worry - it happens to the best of us..... and you."

Driver: SasQuatch 10.5°, Stiff Flex
Woods: Grand Slam 3-wood & 5-wood
Irons: TPS 7.0 3I-PW
Wedges: 56° sand wedge & 60° lob wedge
Putter: White Hot #6

"looks like you got a Sadaam there pal" = a shot buried in a trap

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

"Fifty years ago, 100 white men chasing one black man across a field was called the Ku Klux Klan. Today it's called the PGA Tour." ~Author Unknown
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

"The person with the fastest golf cart will always have the best lie."

Eric Richardson

VP of Real Estate Agent Sales

What's in the bag:Driver: 9.5 R93Wood: 15.0Irons: 4-SW BurnerPutter:Ball: with the occasional found ProV1 Home courses: Coffee Creek and Rose Creek

A "Ted Kennedy" is when you fail to drive it over the water.

Your friends' scores are usually aardvarks - bizarre beyond belief. Unlike some other animals, these aren't predefined.

If you beat someone to death with a golf club, and the policeman asks you how many times you hit him, give an honest answer, and then ask that he puts you down for one fewer.

Any nasty slice can be attributed to O.J. Simpson

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Technological improvement over the caddy: the golf cart. It can't count or critisize.

You can hit a two-inch branch 90 percent of the time, and a two-acre fairway 10 percent of the time.

New balls from their sleeves tend to follow one another - out of bounds.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

My boss and the coach at Western Illinois University told me one time, "It's not the arrows in the quiver, it's the indian shooting the bow."

The only other ones I can think of are a couple things my grandpa says all the time.

"It's a dumb game, but I love it" and if I hit a putt way short, he says "Hit the ball, Sally!" or if I'm way long he says "Whoa, Dolly!"

Good post!
Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

"It's a dumb game, but I love it" and if I hit a putt way short, he says "Hit the ball, Sally!" or if I'm way long he says "Whoa, Dolly!"

We have a similar expression in my groups, only we use the name "Alice." After a bad and short shot, we can preempt the teasing and prevent it by saying something to the effect of, "that was a great shot; my husband would be proud."

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

If a golfer chooses to compete, he must choose to believe he can win. Winners and Losers in life are completely self determined, but only the winners are willing to admit it.

The correlation between thinking well and making successful shots is not 100 percent. But the correlation between thinking poorly and unsuccessful shots id much higher.

A person with great dreams can achieve great things. A person with small dreams, or a person without the confidence to persue his or her dreams has consigned himself to a life of frustration and mediocrity.

No matter what happens when you hit a shot, accept it. Acceptance is the last step in a sound routine.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver:
3 Wood:
Hybrid:
3-PW: Wedges: Putter: Ball:

It is more important to be decisive than to be correct when preparing to play any golf shot, particularly a putt.
- Bob Rotella
When I ask you to take an aspirin, please don't take the whole bottle.
- Harvey Penick on integrating swing changes
And pretty much every golfer/writer has shared the same directive to "play to a specific target". Mr. Penick says it best:

Take dead aim.
Cleveland - HiBore XL (9.5* Fuji Fit-On Gold Stiff)
Bobby Jones/Jesse Ortiz - 3W & 21* H3 (Stock Stiff)
Ben Hogan - Apex FTX 4-FW (Apex 4 shafts)
TaylorMade - rac TP 56.12 satin & 60.6 black
Scotty Cameron - Mil-Spec Newport 2 (33" standard)

I was golfing with a guy I was trying to impress in the work arena a couple weeks ago (must not have worked BTW) and hit a bad shot on a 150 yard par-3. He was going to try and console me and asked, "Well Norm, you know what they say?" I responded, "f&*$ing Golf". Crude, but it got tons of laughs.

"Stop trying to hit the ball, and hit the ball"
my golf coach

In My Bag
Driver: TaylorMade R11 9*

3-Wood: Ping Anser 14.5*
Hybrid: TaylorMade Superfast Burner 18*
Irons: Ping i20 PW - 4

Wedges: Ping Tour Pro Rusty 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Ping Anser

Balls: Titleist Pro-V1s

Sunglasses: Oakley Flak Jacket (golf specific)

Bag: Ping Hoofer

Course: Alliance Country Club

Note: This thread is 5843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!