IGNORED

Golfing Idioms and Quotes

tdinneen
Note: This thread is 5843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I pull a shot, I yell: "get left! get left!" ...same with a push.
Leaving a putt short: "got the club stuck in your dress?" "got the club stuck in your bra strap?"
When you're playing and someone says to you "nice shot!" you say "I know."
There's a bunch of them...

In my bag:
Driver: Launcher COMP 9.5* (Aldila NV 65S 350)
Fairway wood: Warbird 4-wood
Irons: X-18 Pro Series (3-PW)
Wedges: Vokey 252.08 and SM58.12Ball: Pro V1

• 10 months later...
Rather than start a new post, I'll just top this old one!

Golf is a game in which you yell "fore," shoot six, and write down five. ~Paul Harvey
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

"What a terrible round. I only hit two good balls all day and that was when I stepped on a rake in a bunker." — Lee Trevino

"Get there." - Swingers [For those who haven't seen the movie, this is a really funny scene. I use this one whenever I chip way short and it's obvious that the ball has no chance of running where I want it. Also funny when you overshoot.]

"Be the ball" - Ty Webb
"Sex and golf are the two things you can enjoy even if you're not good at them." - Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy

In my Grom:

HiBore XLS 10.5 / ProLaunch Blue
Ti Great Big Bertha Warbird 3 Wood
Killer Whale 5 WoodPinemeadow Command 3 Hy Eye 2 + 4-9 Irons 588 RTG 49 "Special", Gunmetal 56, RTG 60 White Hot #5 Tour B330-RXEpoch Tees Royal Oaks Golf Club

Random 4th after putting out- "Geez, another falcon."
Me - "Huh?"
4th -"Friggin' Maltese Falcon. Had a birdie putt, wound up with a bogie."

I try to use it as little as possible.

Golf, like the measles, should be caught young, for, if postponed to riper years, the results may be serious. ~P.G. Wodehouse

You are meant to play the ball as it lies, a fact that may help to touch on your own objective approach to life. ~Grantland Rice

In my bag todayâ¦.

I read this in a magazine or heard it in an interview, and I think it was Tiger that said it but I could be wrong. Anytime you outdrive your playing partner by a bunch -

"Did you hear about the new (insert large building here ~ Wal-Mart, Sears, hotel, etc.) that their building in town?"

"No, where?"

"There building it in-between your ball and my ball."

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

As long as we're appending, I'll remind everyone of the Peter Pan rule: "Think happy thoughts." I said that Monday on the 17th and caused a playing partner to laugh up to and including when he hit his par putt, which he sank.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you drink, don't drive. Don't even putt. ~Dean Martin

In my bag todayâ¦.

Ones I use all the time (Thanks, Happy Gilmore!)

Just give it a little tappy

Why wont you go to your home!

Non-Happy favorite... on a shorted putt: Nice shot... next time, though, try using your putter instead of your purse.

In the Ogio stand bag

909 D2 w/ VooDoo S
15.5* 906F4 w/ Aldila VS Proto 80S
3DX DC 3 HybridFP 4-GW56* and 60* Vokey SM wedgeSophia putter

A golf ball is like a clock. Always hit it at 6 o'clock and make it go toward 12 o'clock. But make sure you're in the same time zone. ~Chi Chi Rodriguez

In my bag todayâ¦.

A guy I played with on Wednesday. He hits his tee shot and it rolls through the fairway into a stream on the right. He manages to find his ball gets it, drops it and hits on and putts out. My friend asks if he got a 5. He said "no a 3, they should've never put that water there, its unfair."

Hahaha, I love it!

Dave

These greens are so fast I have to hold my putter over the ball and hit it with the shadow. ~Sam Snead

In my bag todayâ¦.

My golf league partner(super funny guy) came up with a couple yesterday while playing league.

1) A 3-4ft putt that lips out and rolls 3-4ft past the hole is refered to as a "sergio".

2) Hitting a great drive in the fairway, then hitting the GIR to within 20ft... and three putting for a bogey 5 is refered to as a "garcia".

He had me laughing so hard I could hardly play.

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

"Hmm....what kept that one out?" - I've heard plenty of this one.
"Line is important, but speed is key" - putt that is on line but comes up short or is blasted past the hole.
or
"Speed is important, but the line is key" - putt that has good speed/distance but is way off line.

Through years of experience I have found that air offers less resistance than dirt. ~Jack Nicklaus, on why he tees his ball high.

In my bag todayâ¦.

Note: This thread is 5843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!