IGNORED

2012 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Source anyone? I know Hunter Mahan, who I contend should have been an RC pick, has a 10-4 match play record at the WGC Accenture event he won earlier this year. Where can I find the rest of the players combined record at this event? Wonder did DW3 and his brain trust consult these stats in picking his 4 adds to the team?

And yet Lee Westwood, Rory McIlroy and Charl Are all still full members on the European tour this year and play just as many tournaments on our tour as yours. Think each tour requires about 12 tournaments are played to retain full membership but not entirely sure of the number now. Look guys this is a wholely pointless debate. Your opinion is the PGA tour is superior to the European Tour. I don't think it is but if you want to think so, fine. Golf wise, USA against Europe you just had your chance to prove your point, you need to wait a couple of years to have another go. Fair comment, I hope you'll agree.

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe both of those players changed their schedules significantly this year, right?

Yep, now pretty much 50/50. Think ( but will have to check) Rory is more on the PGA by a tournament or two, Lee more on the European, or pretty close to even. Obviously taking Majors and WGC as on both, which they are.

Pete Iveson

Originally Posted by dsc123

You started by saying that the Euro Tour is not inferior and my last sentence said that it was.  So yeah, if your point was the opposite of what you said, then sure, I probably did state your point more eloquently than you.

Right, "product of."  Like how Nosevi mentioned how often Rory and Westwood played in Europe last year.  They've both since moved to the US and joined the PGA Tour.  Like how Peyton Manning is a "product of" Tennessee, and now plays in the NFL. Or how Evan Longoria is a "product of" the Devil Ray's farm system.  They start in one place, and graduate to the bigger stage.

Charl Schwartzl is not European.  Also, he is a full member of the PGA Tour.  He played four events in Europe this year, and 16 in the US (some of those are WGC).

That's right. 'product of'. And yes, they have moved to a bigger stage, or at least, one with more money. Thank you for pointing out Charl Schwartzl is South African - I would never have known, having watched him for several years on the European Tour before you did. Thanks.

Look, Jeez, no-one doubts that US Tour is bigger, better and more competitive. But to say that there is a lack of talent in Europe is just not right. You guys need to get out more. There's a former PGA pro called Rich Beem who is playing over here right now - he's playing tournaments in Europe and Asia, he's doing OK, not lighting up but having fun. He was interviewed the other day and he said that his aim was to get back to the PGA because it's easier. When pressed on this, he said that little things like the fairways were better, the greens were a bit quicker, the language, the travel. And he said something real interesting...it went (and I am paraphrasing as I do not remember the exact words)..."on the PGA Tour, you stay at a hotel by yourself or with your caddy and you stay in your room and just do nothing. Then you get in a courtesy car and are driven to the course. Then you get driven back again, and it's like that all week, until you leave and go to the airport, where it then all starts again. In Europe, no courtesy cars. All the players and caddies get in a courtesy bus and live in the same hotel, and then they kinda hang out with each other. It's pretty cool, actually''.

This is what the European 'experience' is like. It's a bit of a grind but it grounds players...what we would call an apprenticeship - only the best and most dedicated stick with it. Whereas our impression of the college - web.com - pga path seems..like it could produce some diva's.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Originally Posted by jamo

You've proven two things: that the European Tour has many good future players, and that there are many world-class players that currently play both tours. Two things that no one is disputing. Congrats?

Thanks. It's the internet, no-one ever wins, my friend.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Originally Posted by JaxGolfer1

It's amazing to me that Hunter Mahan had as many points as captain's pick Steve Stricker in this edition of the Ryder Cup. Stricker and Furyk were miserable.

Please clarify your question or point, I am not sure I understand it. Thanks

Originally Posted by Johnhw2

Please clarify your question or point, I am not sure I understand it. Thanks

When the captains picks were made, Hunter had more points than anyone chosen by DL3. He also has a match play winning record from 2-RC's played, 3 Prsidents cups played. He has a winning match play record inthe WGC match play event. He wasnt in good form for the past several months which is why he wasnt picked. Also his putting stats were way off during this off form period. That said, I contend he should hae been chosen based upon his match play record. Current form means something but if its all important then why have the points to auto matically qualify for RC be based upon the past two years not the past 3 months?

Originally Posted by JaxGolfer1

Stricker and Furyk were miserable.

You wouldn't have said that if Furyk and/or Stricker had holed one of the putts on the last couple of holes that looked in for all money.

Jesus H. Christ!!!!MOVE ON>>>>>>

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

You wouldn't have said that if Furyk and/or Stricker had holed one of the putts on the last couple of holes that looked in for all money.

Moving on without understanding what we need to change the outcome is not wise..... why did we pick these two and see them perform poorly under the gun? Just luck so change nothing and count on luck helping us win next RC despite our tendancy to lose rather than win? We need some hope and change .....much change is needed...  many posts above propose change... you can move on and keep on doing the same.. some of us vote for change next time

I don't know why I never noticed this fire in Poulter.  Maybe the crazy outfits he wore led me to pay less attention or take him less seriously.  Whatever the case, I have a new found respect for the guy and anyone else that goes out and performs with the intensity he did on a international stage like the RC.

I agree Hunter has some of that fire too, unfortunately I think he hit a slump at the wrong time and became a victim of politics.   If I was DL3 I'd want the guy that won the only match play tournament on our Tour to be part of the team, but what do I know.

Originally Posted by Chas

A small point perhaps but this is surprising to read. Poults should be very familiar to golf fans here in the U.S. and what he did this year at the RC should NOT come as such a surprise imho. He has that slightly nutty hyper-competitive streak which he's shown american viewers before.

And I'm thinking we' ll be seeing it again ....

IMO Hunter Mahan has that kind of fortitude (aka bottle) as well, in his own way. What really pi**es me off about some of the duller TV commentators/editors here is that they so often show his chunked chip when discussing the guy, as if that defined him in any meaningful way. Actually, it's the exception that proves the rule more than it's the opposite. The irony is lost on many I daresay. But that's the low-grade media we have to suffer - I suspect we can all agree on that.

Picking a RC team is not just about strokeplay stats over a long period of time. I'm no frikkin expert but even I know that much.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Johnhw2

Moving on without understanding what we need to change the outcome is not wise..... why did we pick these two and see them perform poorly under the gun? Just luck so change nothing and count on luck helping us win next RC despite our tendancy to lose rather than win? We need some hope and change .....much change is needed...  many posts above propose change... you can move on and keep on doing the same.. some of us vote for change next time

Agreed.

IMO, the best way to correct the problem is for the Americans to do away with picking a PGA star (in the twilight of their career) to be the captain.
Maybe choose whomever is one of the winningest coaches in the NCAA. With the task of “just winning” that person would have no personal connection when picking the team and the lineups.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I like Monte's suggestion, let Larry Nelson captain the next RC team.

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

Agreed.

IMO, the best way to correct the problem is for the Americans to do away with picking a PGA star (in the twilight of their career) to be the captain.

Maybe choose whomever is one of the winningest coaches in the NCAA. With the task of “just winning” that person would have no personal connection when picking the team and the lineups.

Joe Paradiso

Many posts are either slamming or defending Phil Mickelson. This was a huge point and IMO gave momemtum to the Euro team. Did it cost us the match would only be conjecture. Can't honestly say him applauding  his opponent (after JR sunk a 6 ft. on putt or on 16 or the great putt on 17) I just never seen that in Ryder play or tournament play.

Many people say he just got beat by 3 tremendous putts from Justing Rose. Yes he made some pressure putts, but let's review the last 4 holes.

1) On 15 when Phil missed a 5-6 footer to go two up. This would have been huge if he made it.

2) On 16 Rose's putt was closer than Phil's, 5 footer, definately not spectacular. Phil applauded.

2) On Seventeen Phil made a great chip. Unfortunately it was right on JR's put line and he got a good read and nailed it.

3) On 18 his second shot from about 170 or shorter he shanked and it almost went into the water. Rose made 6-7 footer, not spectacular.

Not going to get into him demanding he and Keegan couldn't play Sat afternoon. Only comment they keep extressing playing as a team and doing whatever DL3 wants from us. Was that supporting team?

Below is some comments from Colin Montgomery that are interesting. BTW, nothing but respect for Colin, true gentlemen and proven winner. Can we get him for USA captain, I wish.

In a column penned Wednesday for The Telgraph (UK) , Colin Montgomerie opined that if Tiger Woods is to be part of a winning Ryder Cup team for the first time this century, then “it is time for Woods to be entrusted to take a young player under his wing.”

Forty-two-year-old Phil Mickelson , who was just 3-12-3 in his last four Ryder Cups entering last week’s matches at Medinah, seemed rejuvenated by the emotional play of rookie Keegan Bradley . The duo went 3-0 together in team play, and their chemistry was so apparent, captain Davis Love III drew criticism for sitting them in Saturday afternoon fourballs.

Monty, the European team’s winning captain in 2010, thinks that Woods, 36, could use a similarly youthful, exuberant partner in the biennial matches – even suggesting a player such as Rickie Fowler . With partner Steve Stricker , Woods went 0-3 in team play at Medinah.

I don't know why I never noticed this fire in Poulter.  Maybe the crazy outfits he wore led me to pay less attention or take him less seriously.  Whatever the case, I have a new found respect for the guy and anyone else that goes out and performs with the intensity he did on a international stage like the RC.

Well I agree about his clothes, a bit off-putting at times. Took me a while to appreciate what the guy brings to the game myself, partly for that reason. And his swing isn't particularly elegant. I've read a bit about his early days and recommend you do the same if you want to understand him better. He is a brassy, hard-scrabble sort of guy, with a strong anti-establishment streak (in the splendid british tradition of course). He comes from a rather humble background, a nondescript sort of town a bit north of London, in a country where golf still has more of a 'country club' association than here in the U.S. He loves 'taking the mick", i.e. poking fun at people, and "pulling their chains" as we used to say when I lived over there [do they still say that I wonder?] His accent fits the bill nicely - unreconstructed working class London, gotta love it. That guy has fought long and hard to claw his way up to where he is, against almost all expectations really. I think this explains his phenomenal tough-mindedness and self-confidence, bordering on delusional according to some. More power to 'im! Where he gets that extreme intensity from I wouldn't know. Neuronal architecture?

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Shorty

Please don't use the lords name in vain.

Note: This thread is 4217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!