IGNORED

2012 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Jungles shmungles. We were taking the Pacific Islands one-by-one while (whilst) you guys were camping in the North African desert. :>) Bring .... it.... on

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

Jungles shmungles. We were taking the Pacific Islands one-by-one while (whilst) you guys were camping in the North African desert.

:>)

Bring .... it.... on

Ok, I'll try a different tack and we'll use distraction. Miss World contestants recently visited Gleneagles, we'll ask 'em back.......

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice try old chap, but this might be just what Tiger needs for a return to former glory. Might also induce a militant response by the wives, with unpredictable consequences to both teams. Altogether a high risk strategy.

4-hybrid:

Nice try old chap, but this might be just what Tiger needs for a return to former glory.

Might also induce a militant response by the wives, with unpredictable consequences to both teams. Altogether a high risk strategy.

You're probably right. We may have to have a last ditch plan and play dirty. We've tried actually playing on a golf course making the most of your players fears and introducing what's refered to on our courses as 'rough' you've probably see it on the telly, tried using the fairer sex as a distraction (Lord knows some of your players are easily distracted, no names obviously, that would be indiscreet). If all else fails we may have to use their vices instead. I predict you will indeed go for John Daly as your next captain - that being the case we'll have to reintroduce him to and old flame and break out the single malt. Again a high risk strategy, I'll give you that. Either Rors near drastic lie-in will pale into insignificance next to the US Captain simply not showing all week end..........

......... or we'll run out. Only time will tell.

Look forward to it though.

Pete Iveson

Forgive me, but I haven't read this thread since BEFORE I watched the final day:

Originally Posted by atb5079

Furyk is a complete choke artist. Unbelievable.

Oh, it was believable...especially for those of us who never wanted him on the team to begin with.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Yeah the Furyk pick was stupid after the year he has had.

I wish people were more vocal about this before the match.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

Of course, Love isn't going to say he would do anything different. But the dinosaurs (Mickelson, Furyk and Stricker) took them down and two of them were Captain's picks. I give Mickelson a pass because he got beat by two birdies.

It's a little unfair to blame Mickelson.  He was a part of the reason they had such a big lead to begin with.  But yes, Furyk and Stricker were disappointing.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Gotta think Ricky Fowler and and Hunter Mahan would've done a better job as captain's picks,

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Many of you are castigating Davis Love 111, lets hope his reputation survives as he is one of your classier players.

Sam Snead is one of your legends, but a bit of a pit bull as Ryder Cup Captain, and apparently not respected by his team ( Nicklaus included). heres a bit written after you retained the Cup in 1969.

Snead received a lot of bad press at the time for his management of the team. The Sports Illustrated account of the 1969 Ryder Cup published immediately afterward noted that Snead "... can be a crude, sullen, cantankerous old buzzard, and he is about as capable of leadership as Ebenezer Scrooge. Snead's relationship with the majority of U.S. tournament players has long been one of mutual animosity." Snead benched Nicklaus in two of the six sessions. A PGA of America official on site told Sports Illustrated that "you could say that team morale is just about zero."

While I respect Snead's golfing record, of the two I respect DL 111 as a person. And before you win at all costs merchants have your say, if Justin Rose's improbable putt had not found the 17th hole you would no doubt be giving no thought of Davis Love's captaincy.

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Ok, I'll try a different tack and we'll use distraction. Miss World contestants recently visited Gleneagles, we'll ask 'em back.......

Guarantee that Tiger goes 5-0.

Bill M

How many of you second-guessers seriously believed, after play was over on Saturday, that the Europeans had a strong shot at retaining the cup?  Treat the question as rhetorical because I'm not expecting an honest answer from people who can't be honest about what caused the demise of their beloved team.

I didn't go so far as to predict they would lose, but I DID post something here in this thread about the potential for a role reversal (US shining in team play, and the Euro's making a comeback because they have 4 of the top 5 players in the OGWR).  I believe all 4 of those players won their matches.

Also, I mentioned in another post (just before play started on Sunday) that if the Euro's come back, Poulter will be the player of the weekend.  Just hinting at the possibility of it.

Strong shot?  No, I wouldn't have considered it a strong shot.  However I did get a very big laugh out of all of the "18-10" predictions from Sunday morning's read.

Originally Posted by Vermeer

Many of you are castigating Davis Love 111, lets hope his reputation survives as he is one of your classier players.

Sam Snead is one of your legends, but a bit of a pit bull as Ryder Cup Captain, and apparently not respected by his team ( Nicklaus included). heres a bit written after you retained the Cup in 1969.

Snead received a lot of bad press at the time for his management of the team. The Sports Illustrated account of the 1969 Ryder Cup published immediately afterward noted that Snead "... can be a crude, sullen, cantankerous old buzzard, and he is about as capable of leadership as Ebenezer Scrooge. Snead's relationship with the majority of U.S. tournament players has long been one of mutual animosity." Snead benched Nicklaus in two of the six sessions. A PGA of America official on site told Sports Illustrated that "you could say that team morale is just about zero."

While I respect Snead's golfing record, of the two I respect DL 111 as a person. And before you win at all costs merchants have your say, if Justin Rose's improbable putt had not found the 17th hole you would no doubt be giving no thought of Davis Love's captaincy.

Wow, thanks for that link.

Despite the crowd of 8,000 jamming around the green, the silence was so complete that the unvoiced prayer for a miss was like a wave of heat.

They don't write like that anymore.

Bill M

I agree completely that DL3 is classy, but not sure what that has to do with being a firey leader like we need not another "let the guys decide" manager. The common thread from team Euro players was they wanted to win it for Captain JMO. I didnt hear that from the US team.... more wanted to win for their team mates and for their own pride and records than for the captain....We select RC captains using the good old boy method and failing to use the Presidents cup Captainacy as a good training ground and fail to pick guys that are going to "lead" and motivate the team not manage them!

The Euro's were hot and played great but we cant ignore they showed their best as a team and overall when the pressure was greatest....Sunday! Not an accident! We need to pick Match Play tigers not purely based upon stroke play records....look at guys on the President's cup for good Ryder Cup match players and recognize that Hunter Mahan, with a winning match player record and with fire in his belly, would matter more than form on Sunday when the heat was on.

Davis let Tiger dictate Striker be on the team, if he is going to whimp out to that decision, he shouldnt select Furyk too, go with A younger up and coming player like Hunter, Ricky or even Bo Van Pelt.

We have a classy losing Captain though I agree on that....

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Yeah the Furyk pick was stupid after the year he has had.

I wish people were more vocal about this before the match.

You weren't listening.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Bplewis: fair enough. I can't prove it here but I said to my wife on Sun morning that the notion the U.S. was much stronger in singles was overblown. I also said I was hoping there wouldn't be a walkover because I much prefer matters to be decided late, for the sake of the game as a whole. But no, this was not the result I was looking for.

4-hybrid:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

You weren't listening.

I saw a thread about the Captain's Picks and some discussion about Furyk, but as far as I could remain interested in the thread, it appeared that the discussion ended with the stats showing Furyk was no worse in Ryder Cup play than most other Americans.  Perhaps the debate went much further than that, but like I said I got bored even with the discussion of Furyk.  He should not have been included.  Stricker I am/was fine with.

The old Tiger would have been 12-0. Will he ever get his game back to where it was? I guess he just can't do 2 foursomes in one day like the old times.....

Guarantee that Tiger goes 5-0.

• Upvote 1

Which would be belied by his 7:09 tee time at TPC Summerlin tomorrow .

Sponsor's exemption.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Note: This thread is 4238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!