Jump to content
IGNORED

Molinari


Note: This thread is 3179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

The bookies apparently lost 650 000 pounds as a result of the last hole. With odds at 33/1 for Europe to win, lots of people made lots of money from those events at the final hole. The best result for the bookies would have been a tie, as very few bet on it. Something good came out of it at least.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I would have liked Molinari to have conceded his match in the middle of the 18th fairway. A 14-14 tie would have been fine. No one loses and the Europeans retain the cup. Playing that last

Well, that noted pundit, Tiger Woods, might have said it best - it's all about who wins the Cup.

I think that's a shallow take. If you watched him on the course this past weekend it was quite clear that he was very into these matches and wanted to as always play his very best. I don't see any ind

Originally Posted by Zeph

The bookies apparently lost 650 000 pounds as a result of the last hole. With odds at 33/1 for Europe to win, lots of people made lots of money from those events at the final hole.

The best result for the bookies would have been a tie, as very few bet on it.

Something good came out of it at least.

That's a good point, but professional sportsmen shouldn't be thinking about betting outcomes while playing. The right thing to do was end the match the moment Kaymer holed his putt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I would have liked Molinari to have conceded his match in the middle of the 18th fairway. A 14-14 tie would have been fine. No one loses and the Europeans retain the cup. Playing that last hole was one of the most awkward and pointless moments I've seen in sports. There was a huge party going on next to the green, for crying out loud! No one came out of those final moments of the Ryder Cup with any credit.

What a complete load of bollocks. How can the difference between a tie and a win be lost on you? You, personally, that is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Shorty

What a complete load of bollocks.

How can the difference between a tie and a win be lost on you? You, personally, that is.

Well, that noted pundit, Tiger Woods, might have said it best - it's all about who wins the Cup.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Shorty

What a complete load of bollocks.

How can the difference between a tie and a win be lost on you? You, personally, that is.

How can the fact that a draw is the same as a defeat to the US be lost on you? Look no further than Tiger giving that putt to Molinari to show there was absolutely no difference. He quite clearly couldn't give a damn by that stage as the US couldn't get the cup back. It doesn't surprise me that you fail to understand the spirit in which this game should be played.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

How can the fact that a draw is the same as a defeat to the US be lost on you? Look no further than Tiger giving that putt to Molinari to show there was absolutely no difference. He quite clearly couldn't give a damn by that stage as the US couldn't get the cup back. It doesn't surprise me that you fail to understand the spirit in which this game should be played.

well said /\

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of the US not being able to get the cup back.  Tiger should've made the putt.  Saying he didn't care - thus why he missed it is strange to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

How can the fact that a draw is the same as a defeat to the US be lost on you? Look no further than Tiger giving that putt to Molinari to show there was absolutely no difference. He quite clearly couldn't give a damn by that stage as the US couldn't get the cup back. It doesn't surprise me that you fail to understand the spirit in which this game should be played.

Actually if you want to look no further, you should cast your eyes to the 16th green and Kuchar not giving Westwood a one footer. We can all throw stones.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Regardless of the US not being able to get the cup back.  Tiger should've made the putt.  Saying he didn't care - thus why he missed it is strange to me.

More like it didn't care, as in it didn't matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by zipazoid

More like it didn't care, as in it didn't matter.

I think it mattered.  For me as a fan rooting for the US... I'd rather see a tie - and the Europeans retain the cup.  Than for them to win outright.  Tiger was the anchor of the team... His role was to go out and get a point for the US.  Not a 1/2 point.  He should've bared down and made the putt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by zipazoid

More like it didn't care, as in it didn't matter.

My point exactly.

Originally Posted by Monte the Bear

Actually if you want to look no further, you should cast your eyes to the 16th green and Kuchar not giving Westwood a one footer. We can all throw stones.

I thought that was Dufner not giving Hanson a two footer?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I think it mattered.  For me as a fan rooting for the US... I'd rather see a tie - and the Europeans retain the cup.

Then you should have hit it. As it regarded Tiger, once there was no chance to win the cup, it was over in his mind. Tie = Loss.

Just try to put yourself in his mind for a sec - he's trying as hard as he can all day then poof - it's done, it's over. I totally get conceding the putt. It was irrelevant to the outcome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

My point exactly.

I thought that was Dufner not giving Hanson a two footer?

The US didn't concede many putts all day.  As far as concessions though... It is the Ryder Cup and match play... That is part of the gamesmanship.  I have no issues at all with the way it was handled.  In fact, Tiger made Molinari putt several short putts coming down the stretch that I thought he was/could have conceded.  Again, that is the part of the gamesmanship / strategy.  It came back to bite Tiger in the ass. LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

He should've bared down and made the putt.

I agree. He is a professional and should have been trying to make that putt regardless. To say he didn't take as much time over it because the US couldn't win the cup is quite frankly ridiculous. If that's how he felt, why didn't he just concede the hole in the middle of the 18th fairway instead of finishing the hole with that attitude?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Then you should have hit it. As it regarded Tiger, once there was no chance to win the cup, it was over in his mind. Tie = Loss.

Just try to put yourself in his mind for a sec - he's trying as hard as he can all day then poof - it's done, it's over. I totally get conceding the putt. It was irrelevant to the outcome.

What do you think Tiger is going to say?  Tiger isn't going to say he tried to make that putt.  That isn't Tiger Woods.

In my mind - if you're the best golfer to ever walk the fairways and greens on planet earth... You bare down and make that putt.

Tiger didn't do that.  Does that mean he isn't the greatest golfer - ever?  No.  I still think he is the greatest.  But the greatest are supposed to make those putts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

The US didn't concede many putts all day.  As far as concessions though... It is the Ryder Cup and match play... That is part of the gamesmanship.  I have no issues at all with the way it was handled.  In fact, Tiger made Molinari putt several short putts coming down the stretch that I thought he was/could have conceded.  Again, that is the part of the gamesmanship / strategy.  It came back to bite Tiger in the ass. LOL

I have absolutely no problem with that. Never give a putt you think someone could miss. I thought it was strange Hanson gave Dufner a funny look after that putt. If your opponent doesn't give you a putt you have to accept their decision and get on with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

I agree. He is a professional and should have been trying to make that putt regardless. To say he didn't take as much time over it because the US couldn't win the cup is quite frankly ridiculous. If that's how he felt, why didn't he just concede the hole in the middle of the 18th fairway instead of finishing the hole with that attitude?

Well good point. For that matter, Moli & Woods should have just shook hands on the 18th tee, call it a tie, don't even play the hole.

Soon as Kaymer made his putt to clinch it I switched to football & about 10 mins later I just checked back in to the RC & they were on the 18th green, and my first thought was 'Why are they even still playing? '

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

I agree. He is a professional and should have been trying to make that putt regardless. To say he didn't take as much time over it because the US couldn't win the cup is quite frankly ridiculous. If that's how he felt, why didn't he just concede the hole in the middle of the 18th fairway instead of finishing the hole with that attitude?

Agreed. 110%.  It is a 'jackassery' statement to say he didn't care.  If he didn't care - why was he trying to chip in - by having Joey remove the pin on 18?  He nearly jared it.  Which was a sick chip on a slick ass green.  But then he missed the putt.  So it was a moot point.

Zip... To honestly think Tiger didn't care is kind of humourous.  Tiger Woods, not care?  Are you kidding?  He'd play you for a coke on a Sunday round - and try to crush you in doing so.  This wasn't for a coke.  This was for pride - and furthering his Ryder Cup record.  During an event when he was 0'fer.  You think he didn't desperately want to make that putt??

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...