IGNORED

Molinari

boonecash
Note: This thread is 4215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The bookies apparently lost 650 000 pounds as a result of the last hole. With odds at 33/1 for Europe to win, lots of people made lots of money from those events at the final hole. The best result for the bookies would have been a tie, as very few bet on it. Something good came out of it at least.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Zeph

The bookies apparently lost 650 000 pounds as a result of the last hole. With odds at 33/1 for Europe to win, lots of people made lots of money from those events at the final hole.

The best result for the bookies would have been a tie, as very few bet on it.

Something good came out of it at least.

That's a good point, but professional sportsmen shouldn't be thinking about betting outcomes while playing. The right thing to do was end the match the moment Kaymer holed his putt.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Personally, I would have liked Molinari to have conceded his match in the middle of the 18th fairway. A 14-14 tie would have been fine. No one loses and the Europeans retain the cup. Playing that last hole was one of the most awkward and pointless moments I've seen in sports. There was a huge party going on next to the green, for crying out loud! No one came out of those final moments of the Ryder Cup with any credit.

What a complete load of bollocks. How can the difference between a tie and a win be lost on you? You, personally, that is.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

What a complete load of bollocks.

How can the difference between a tie and a win be lost on you? You, personally, that is.

Well, that noted pundit, Tiger Woods, might have said it best - it's all about who wins the Cup.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Shorty

What a complete load of bollocks.

How can the difference between a tie and a win be lost on you? You, personally, that is.

How can the fact that a draw is the same as a defeat to the US be lost on you? Look no further than Tiger giving that putt to Molinari to show there was absolutely no difference. He quite clearly couldn't give a damn by that stage as the US couldn't get the cup back. It doesn't surprise me that you fail to understand the spirit in which this game should be played.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

How can the fact that a draw is the same as a defeat to the US be lost on you? Look no further than Tiger giving that putt to Molinari to show there was absolutely no difference. He quite clearly couldn't give a damn by that stage as the US couldn't get the cup back. It doesn't surprise me that you fail to understand the spirit in which this game should be played.

well said /\

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Regardless of the US not being able to get the cup back.  Tiger should've made the putt.  Saying he didn't care - thus why he missed it is strange to me.

Actually if you want to look no further, you should cast your eyes to the 16th green and Kuchar not giving Westwood a one footer. We can all throw stones.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Regardless of the US not being able to get the cup back.  Tiger should've made the putt.  Saying he didn't care - thus why he missed it is strange to me.

More like it didn't care, as in it didn't matter.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

I think it mattered.  For me as a fan rooting for the US... I'd rather see a tie - and the Europeans retain the cup.  Than for them to win outright.  Tiger was the anchor of the team... His role was to go out and get a point for the US.  Not a 1/2 point.  He should've bared down and made the putt.

My point exactly.

Originally Posted by Monte the Bear

Actually if you want to look no further, you should cast your eyes to the 16th green and Kuchar not giving Westwood a one footer. We can all throw stones.

I thought that was Dufner not giving Hanson a two footer?

I think it mattered.  For me as a fan rooting for the US... I'd rather see a tie - and the Europeans retain the cup.

Then you should have hit it. As it regarded Tiger, once there was no chance to win the cup, it was over in his mind. Tie = Loss.

Just try to put yourself in his mind for a sec - he's trying as hard as he can all day then poof - it's done, it's over. I totally get conceding the putt. It was irrelevant to the outcome.

My point exactly.

I thought that was Dufner not giving Hanson a two footer?

The US didn't concede many putts all day.  As far as concessions though... It is the Ryder Cup and match play... That is part of the gamesmanship.  I have no issues at all with the way it was handled.  In fact, Tiger made Molinari putt several short putts coming down the stretch that I thought he was/could have conceded.  Again, that is the part of the gamesmanship / strategy.  It came back to bite Tiger in the ass. LOL

He should've bared down and made the putt.

I agree. He is a professional and should have been trying to make that putt regardless. To say he didn't take as much time over it because the US couldn't win the cup is quite frankly ridiculous. If that's how he felt, why didn't he just concede the hole in the middle of the 18th fairway instead of finishing the hole with that attitude?

Then you should have hit it. As it regarded Tiger, once there was no chance to win the cup, it was over in his mind. Tie = Loss.

Just try to put yourself in his mind for a sec - he's trying as hard as he can all day then poof - it's done, it's over. I totally get conceding the putt. It was irrelevant to the outcome.

What do you think Tiger is going to say?  Tiger isn't going to say he tried to make that putt.  That isn't Tiger Woods.

In my mind - if you're the best golfer to ever walk the fairways and greens on planet earth... You bare down and make that putt.

Tiger didn't do that.  Does that mean he isn't the greatest golfer - ever?  No.  I still think he is the greatest.  But the greatest are supposed to make those putts.

The US didn't concede many putts all day.  As far as concessions though... It is the Ryder Cup and match play... That is part of the gamesmanship.  I have no issues at all with the way it was handled.  In fact, Tiger made Molinari putt several short putts coming down the stretch that I thought he was/could have conceded.  Again, that is the part of the gamesmanship / strategy.  It came back to bite Tiger in the ass. LOL

I have absolutely no problem with that. Never give a putt you think someone could miss. I thought it was strange Hanson gave Dufner a funny look after that putt. If your opponent doesn't give you a putt you have to accept their decision and get on with it.

I agree. He is a professional and should have been trying to make that putt regardless. To say he didn't take as much time over it because the US couldn't win the cup is quite frankly ridiculous. If that's how he felt, why didn't he just concede the hole in the middle of the 18th fairway instead of finishing the hole with that attitude?

Well good point. For that matter, Moli & Woods should have just shook hands on the 18th tee, call it a tie, don't even play the hole.

Soon as Kaymer made his putt to clinch it I switched to football & about 10 mins later I just checked back in to the RC & they were on the 18th green, and my first thought was 'Why are they even still playing? '

Agreed. 110%.  It is a 'jackassery' statement to say he didn't care.  If he didn't care - why was he trying to chip in - by having Joey remove the pin on 18?  He nearly jared it.  Which was a sick chip on a slick ass green.  But then he missed the putt.  So it was a moot point.

Zip... To honestly think Tiger didn't care is kind of humourous.  Tiger Woods, not care?  Are you kidding?  He'd play you for a coke on a Sunday round - and try to crush you in doing so.  This wasn't for a coke.  This was for pride - and furthering his Ryder Cup record.  During an event when he was 0'fer.  You think he didn't desperately want to make that putt??

Note: This thread is 4215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!