IGNORED

Molinari

boonecash
Note: This thread is 4214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Without a doubt one of the least sportsmanlike  moves I've seen and I am 60. Making Tiger grind when it means absolutely nada. What an opportunity missed. That is the difference between a class act and someone who is playing for his record in the Cup. Shameful.

I would think it is his job to try to get his team another half a point.

It would have been Olly's job to run on the green and tell him to concede, Nicklaus/Jacklin style if he had thought a tie was as good as a win.

It wasn't as if it was gimme length.

The more intertesting thing is that Woods didn't ask Molinari to putt. That was classy.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

I would think it is his job to try to get his team another half a point.

It would have been Olly's job to run on the green and tell him to concede, Nicklaus/Jacklin style if he had thought a tie was as good as a win.

It wasn't as if it was gimme length.

The more intertesting thing is that Woods didn't ask Molinari to putt. That was classy.

yeah didnt we all get numerous lectures from Olly about sportsmanship ...and how he and Seve were outraged (OUTRAGED I tells ya!) at what happened at the 1991" war by the shore"??

Where the hell was "Mr Sportsmanship" to run on the green, pick up Tigers ball and shake his hand, eh?

What a steaming crock of Euro-rubbish..all this talk of sportsmanship etc...

Olly...teach us all by example!

Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies

yeah didnt we all get numerous lectures from Olly about sportsmanship ...and how he and Seve were outraged (OUTRAGED I tells ya!) at what happened at the 1991" war by the shore"??

Where the hell was "Mr Sportsmanship" to run on the green, pick up Tigers ball and shake his hand, eh?

We gave that up when you danced on the greens, brother. Just wait until France, better bring your troops with you then. We'll make Kuchar putt out from 6 inches to the sound of the Russian national anthem.

lol, dear me.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

I believe Olly wanted to win the Cup outright rather than just retain it since that was still a possibility, had it already been won or lost I think he would have told Molinari to pick up the markers. Before the match started in some of the TV build up we had over here Olly has said that one of the reasons Seve and consequently he loved the Ryder Cup so much was that it was a great arena to prove to the USPGA that the European Tour could compete and win against the best both home and away. In the 70's and early 80's the US won Cup after Cup easily against a GB and Ireland only team enough so that the rest of Europe were added to spice up the competition. Even after his first Masters win Seve said that he felt the US players looked down at him and the European players who played in the US. Rightly or wrongly I think this was in Olly's mind when he asked Molinari to try and win the hole and therefore the match outright rather than just take the draw and rentention.

I had no problem with Kuchar asking Westwood to take a 12 inch putt to win the match as it was exactly that and wins should be earnt. As for Tiger being a class act I agree it was a nice gesture especially given Molinari's short putt yips, but he also said afterwards that the US Team wanted to win the Cup and anything else was pointless, had he said like Nicklaus "I wouldn't have wanted him to miss it" then that would have been true class. Did you think GMac was classy for not trying to hole his putt on 17 and make Zack need to hole his to win the match? Considering the early state of play, it looked like he didn't want to embarrass himself by missing.

However, what I find the most annoying at this and previous recent Ryder Cups and all Majors is this need for wives, girlfriends, kids, parents etc to run on the green after winning. Celebrate sure, hug the caddie sure, but the next thing you do is take off your hat and shake your playing partner or opponents hand and walk off the green and celebrate there. Both teams were guilty in this respect and I'd just like it to be stopped. In the singles especially you had potentially 11 more matches coming through the 17th green and about 40 people were on there patting Donald on the back and trying to interview him.

Anyways had you guys won, I would have said well done you played and putted awesome over the first two days as some of our star players failed to produce and I think you could say the same but in reverse for the Sunday singles. Was a draw a fair result? maybe but it will stick in the craw as much as Brookline does for us and hopefully make 2014 even better!

Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies

Captains had agreed to play out the last matche(s) even if the result was known.

And somebody wrote that Americans did not actually care about RC...

Nada? Obviously they aren't going to cut the cup in half in the case of a tie so they they let the previous winners retain possesion but no true competitors believe that a tie is as good as a win. like kissing your sister...

Let's judge a guy by a single act that meant nothing at all.... As far as I'm concerned, they could've gotten rid of the entire conceeded putt concept.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Euro Captain was the victim of the 1998? Brookline Justin Leonard putt and resulting celebration. Apparently, a Spaniard never forgets an insult. He'd waited 14 years for revenge and wanted to win the Cup outright and stick it to Team USA. He would not allow Molinari to concede the match, so Tiger lost the hole. When he lined up for that putt, you could tell he had aimed left - he did not care.

So the Spaniard gets his revenge.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

The Euro Captain was the victim of the 1998? Brookline Justin Leonard putt and resulting celebration. Apparently, a Spaniard never forgets an insult. He'd waited 14 years for revenge and wanted to win the Cup outright and stick it to Team USA. He would not allow Molinari to concede the match, so Tiger lost the hole. When he lined up for that putt, you could tell he had aimed left - he did not care.

So the Spaniard gets his revenge.

Sure did. See you in two years.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Originally Posted by VOX

Nada? Obviously they aren't going to cut the cup in half in the case of a tie so they they let the previous winners retain possesion but no true competitors believe that a tie is as good as a win. like kissing your sister...

have you seen my sister?  hawt....lol...

Colin P.

Originally Posted by Monte the Bear

Sure did. See you in two years.

At the same time, Jose's behavior seemed calculating, as if he needed revenge. The American behavior in Brookline was spontaneous. Leonard's putt was an unexpected bomb that basically earned them the cup.

And I think Jose showed himself to be small in that respect yesterday. Since the Euros had won the cup, Tiger expected the customary let's halve the hole. Johnny even mentioned it.

I mean, Seve did the same thing, went too far with RC competition - I think a couple of instances were detailed. Love the competitor, but sometimes the competitor can get the best of you.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

At the same time, Jose's behavior seemed calculating, as if he needed revenge. The American behavior in Brookline was spontaneous. Leonard's putt was an unexpected bomb that basically earned them the cup.

And I think Jose showed himself to be small in that respect yesterday. Since the Euros had won the cup, Tiger expected the customary let's halve the hole. Johnny even mentioned it.

I mean, Seve did the same thing, went too far with RC competition - I think a couple of instances were detailed. Love the competitor, but sometimes the competitor can get the best of you.

i agree with this, bottom line is it really doesn't matter. if Jose thinks this was revenge...well i would have given him more credit then that. it wasn't revenge, it was stupid. If Molinari had time to give it the proper thought he would have intentionally missed the putt but i don't hold him to blame.

at the end of the day it is a non story in my opinion. Unless Tiger wants to use it as fuel - if that is the case fine but i don't believe for a minute that will happen.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Let's not forget that when Molinari failed to give Tiger the four foot putt Tiger had not given Molinary his two foot putt. If we want someone to be magnanimus, Tiger could have given him the putt rather than making him mark it. Tiger did not give him the putt until after Tiger had missed.

This whole thread smacks of hubris of the defeated. The Woods/Molinari match was moot soon as Kaymer made his putt. Moli could have conceded the hole to Tiger on the freekin' 18th tee & it wouldn't have mattered.

I think Molinari was a bit confused about what it all meant (Tiger said as much in the presser) and I believe it was incumbent on Olazabel to go out and declare "good-good". But Olazabel does not have that in him.

Bill M

Personally, I would have liked Molinari to have conceded his match in the middle of the 18th fairway. A 14-14 tie would have been fine. No one loses and the Europeans retain the cup. Playing that last hole was one of the most awkward and pointless moments I've seen in sports. There was a huge party going on next to the green, for crying out loud! No one came out of those final moments of the Ryder Cup with any credit.

• Upvote 2

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Note: This thread is 4214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!