• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Daddy Joe

Gap Wedge?

16 posts in this topic

I hit my PING G20 Pitching wedge 125 - 130 yards. I hit my 56* Sand wedge 85 - 90 yards. I need something for those 90 - 110 shots. Any suggestions?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Something in the 50°-52° range. PING makes a matching gap wedge that goes with the G20s (it's the "U" wedge), but that should have come with the set I think (the G20s are sold as 4-UW sets normally). If you don't like that option, all the major wedge manufacturers have a gap wedge that will fill the gap nicely.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the Tom Watson 52* and it fit good with my old irons but not my new ones. It's a little much compared to my PW in my new ones. Thinking of switching to a 54* instead. I hit the 52* about 110 on average.

I hit my PW the same distance and also have a full set of G20 wedges - P thru L.  You can get a Utility Wedge ("U") which fills the gap nicely.  Just need to custom order, my G20 irons only came 5-PW so I ordered the other wedges separately.  Incidentally, the Lob Wedge ("L") is a great club and very controllable for shorter distances.  They make for a great set of wedges.

I'm a newbie, all my more experienced playing partners are staggered by the accuracy of the G20 wedges.  Much more a reflection of the clubs than me...

I had about the same distance gap problem and added a gap wedge to my bag. Problem solved for the most part.

I decided to go the Cleveland route on my wedges because for some reason I didn't care for the I3 Blade SW. Once I got the Cleveland Black Pearl CG14 SW, I added a LW and now a AW (gap @ 52 deg). I love those clubs............very solid and great action.

A 52 degree would fill that gap nicely.  Pick your favorite brand, they all make good stuff.

Agree with others have said, 50-52*, G20 pitching wedge is 45*, PING's gap wedge for the set is called a U wedge

My gap wedge is a Vokey 50. Been a great club for quite a while now. FWIW, my sand wedge and lob wedge are Mizunos. I say that to make the point that your wedges don't necessarily need to be the same manufacturer or line of wedges.

Make sure you pay attention to the bounce on the wedge. I think it's maybe the most important variable of wedges.

I'd vote for the 52 for you. With the yardage you posted, sounds like a good call.

I hit my PING G20 Pitching wedge 125 - 130 yards. I hit my 56* Sand wedge 85 - 90 yards. I need something for those 90 - 110 shots. Any suggestions?

Your PW is 45 degrees I believe, so why not just order the G20 gap wedge that matches your set? It would be 50 degrees. GW is perfect for those distances. I hit my PW just shy of the distances you listed, about 120 - 125 and my GW, which is 50 degrees, is my go to club for those 90 - 110 yard shots. Gets a lot of play and I wouldn't want to play without it.

I have a 50 degree Mizuno JPX Gap Wedge and love it. Had a 100 yard shot last night after a nice drive and got it to 10 feet. Then it was birdie time and I actually made it.

I have a set of jpx wedges as well - totally agree how good they are (and under-rated).  They are a pretty perfect match to the JPX 800 and 800 HD irons.  So much so, I took my CG16 wedges out of the bag.  Also have the G20 5 iron through Lob (L) wedges - they are the perfect wedges for these irons and perform brilliantly.  I guess where I come out is that I prefer to add the continuation wedges for the irons rather than adding different wedges to the iron set.  Just seems a more natural progression in terms of distance and feel.  Both Ping and Mizuno make great wedges that follow on exceptionally well from their GI and SGI iron sets.

Would be interested to hear if others mix and match with their GI/SGI irons (not intending to take the thread in another direction).

Cleveland REG. 588 Gunmetal 51 °. Great club, versatile, and a go-to winner every time.

50* or 52* -- either will work. Either match the brand and model of your irons or match your sand wedges. My current thinking is match your wedges.

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Joe

A 54°.

My setup is 43° (PW), 49°(GW), 54°(SW) and 58°(LW).

PW: 140-150

GW: 110-130

SW:  80-110
LW:  1-80

The yardages look off because these are what I use in the given range that I specified. The higher end is what I'm expecting from a regular grip, ball placement and "full" swing. The lower-end is what I can comfortably pull off without too much risk by choking down, or moving the ball placement.