IGNORED

125 mph Swing Speed Driver Help!

Note: This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess what I'm saying is a lot of people have no friggin' idea what a "125 mph" swing looks like in person.

Sure, that's really fast.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It isn't the look so much as the sound in my experience.

Swinging fast and being good at golf are not really related.  Go see a boys HS football or baseball team at the driving range some time.  You see some big guys that can generate power to swing the club fast. They also hit the ball all over the face. They are not breaking 100 even if they drive the ball 330.

As other people pointed out, when you can swing 120+mph, you can afford to give up distance by using shorter and heavier shafts.  Driving the ball 330 instead of 350 will not cost you a lot of strokes.

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

I guess what I'm saying is a lot of people have no friggin' idea what a "125 mph" swing looks like in person.

It isn't the look so much as the sound in my experience.  Swinging fast and being good at golf are not really related.  Go see a boys HS football or baseball team at the driving range some time.  You see some big guys that can generate power to swing the club fast. They also hit the ball all over the face. They are not breaking 100 even if they drive the ball 330.  As other people pointed out, when you can swing 120+mph, you can afford to give up distance by using shorter and heavier shafts.  Driving the ball 330 instead of 350 will not cost you a lot of strokes.

330 instead of 350? Have you seen the guy's swing? More like 250 instead of 275.

Club head speed is just 1 smaaall variable when it comes to fitting. There are PLENTY of affordable shafts out there for that smaaall variable.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I'm never one to jump on the wagon of hating on guys who claim big distance here as internet liars.  But with a true 125 mph driver swing speed and a 20+ handicap, I will agree that the OP should be dialing his swing WAY back instead of looking for a driver setup for a 125 mph swing speed.

I sympathize with the desire not to do that.  But in your case, even if you dial it WAY back, you're going to go from being a ridiculously out of this world long hitter (average 330+ carry+roll?) to a VERY long hitter (say average 300+ carry+roll).  If you can average 305 total yard drives with dispersion generally small enough that you're in the fairway or at least have a look at your approach from the rough, rather than just a recovery shot, you still have a huge distance advantage over even the average hypothetical scratch player used to rate courses, and will still be hitting PW or less into pretty much every par 4.

If that doesn't convince you, look at the pros.  Have you ever watched DJ or Bubba or one of the other big hitters at the long drive comps on Wednesday at one of the pro-ams?  Those guys are capable of hitting drives with carry+roll out to 360-380 or even longer.  When they hit driver on the course, they're hitting it more like 320-330 carry+roll.  Unless going after it means you can hit your driver 360+, and hitting it 320-330 total is already toning it down and smoothing it out, take a note from the pros and aim to hit tons of fairways sitting 305 yards from the tee.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I don't post much but i will give my experences so far as i had a similar issue to the op. I am 6'2" 210 lbs. If i rip on a swing i can reach 118/119 mph swing speed but with controll, after fitting and some guidance 115 mph is ideal. After many different fittings it was determined for me that the Aldila Beta Rip 70g 2.8 Xstiff 45" with the R11 8degree head was suited for me. I tried off the shelf drivers and they were horrible. I have had this driver setup for a year now it works great. I am a 6 handicap. I hit 290 in the air and rollout gives me 305/310 somtimes ferther depending. But i hit the fairway 90 percent of the time. My set up is not in your price range but i was glad i spent the money for myself. Confidence in hitting off the tee "priceless" Spend some money and get the correct setup for you!

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

330 instead of 350? Have you seen the guy's swing? More like 250 instead of 275.

DO you have radar vision?  I don't know how you tell how fast he is swinging.  How fast is this guy swinging?

Originally Posted by Bonesaw

DO you have radar vision?  I don't know how you tell how fast he is swinging.  How fast is this guy swinging?

Just a guess but I'd say you're swinging at about 107 to 112 there. Maybe less maybe more, but about the same at the thread starter with better impact.

that is not me.  That is a video from Monte Scheinblum's blog.  He was long drive champion in 1992.  He put up 3 drives over 400 yards this last weekend in the competition in the senior division.  He is a similar sized person to the OP and that swing was around 130 mph from what I gather from his blog.

that is not me.  That is a video from Monte Scheinblum's blog.  He was long drive champion in 1992.  He put up 3 drives over 400 yards this last weekend in the competition in the senior division.  He is a similar sized person to the OP and that swing was around 130 mph from what I gather from his blog.

Is this with a 48" or 52" driver? That swing with a regulation driver would probably be around 115 at most.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Is this with a 48" or 52" driver? That swing with a regulation driver would probably be around 115 at most.

I don't know how long his driver is or how it is measured.  I think its 48 or 50.  I'm pretty sure he swings 120+ when playing competitive golf.  I was trying to make the point that you have no clue how fast a guy is swinging based on an internet video.

Yes the OP has major swing flaws.  Obviously he could gain more through lessons and practice but so could any amateur golfer.  Why does anyone care if he actually swings 125 or not. Fact is performance gains can be made through equipment.  The OP wants to buy a $200 driver that will fit a 125 mph swing so he asked for some advice.  He is not marrying this shaft.  If he makes a swing change he can buy a new shaft to fit his new swing.

Originally Posted by Lihu

It's quite possible for many people to have a swing speed of 125 or more

Really?  I actually don't think "many" is possible.

I don't know how long his driver is or how it is measured.  I think its 48 or 50.  I'm pretty sure he swings 120+ when playing competitive golf.  I was trying to make the point that you have no clue how fast a guy is swinging based on an internet video.

I would disagree.  I'd say you can have a clue about swing speed based on a video.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Really?  I actually don't think "many" is possible.  I would disagree.  I'd say you can have a clue about swing speed based on a video.

In the world there might be 100,000 of 7,000,000,000 people. I count that as many. I agree that the percentage is pretty small. However, where do most of them end up? So. Cal.? USC? Florida? We have a good percentage of them here, so I see one or more almost every time I go to the range (weekday evenings). There are only a handful of times when I have been the long hitter, and I'm not a sluffy hitter at 220+ carry with range balls. I agree with your second point. Especially, if you look frame by frame.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Why do these threads always devolve into a pissing match.  Who cares if it's possible, or not possible, or if you think the guy is full of BS.  Just move along, or help answer the question.

Yeah, I don't swing 125mph either, wish I did...but I'm not going to let that realization push me to say it can't be done by anyone not on tour.   I've seen a dumpy looking 5'10"ish guy wing it 124-125 on a monitor, as well as a college age "looks like a golfer" type.  There guys out there in the general public that can do it.

I'd say pretty simple, look in the WITB on longer guys on tour.  Tour AD DI 7 or 8, RIP Alpha, Whiteboard, etc...all the usual suspects.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

I didn't know you had a swing video up (and it's pretty recent too).  I double down on my comment above.  It looks to me like you're basically trying to make a swing with the goal 100% to max out swing speed and crush the ball.

I myself am a former baseball college baseball player and have experimented with lifting the front heel to let me make a powerful swing in a more natural feeling way, so I'm not against that approach generally.  But to me it looks like you're using the super strong grip and well forward ball placement to try to cheat your way around the fact that you're basically using a baseball style spin/rotation drive of the hips into a posted up front leg to get power, and it's going to be all but impossible to play consistent golf that way.  Look at all of second 4 in the second video in your original post in your my swing thread.  You've spun so hard into a posted front leg that your front toe is pointing at the target and your weight has stayed essentially centered, and you're standing essentially straight up.  It looks like you just crushed a c**k shot to center-left-center, not like you just hit a drive.

As I myself have found through years of trying to become a good golfer (which I'm not still), there are similarities between the two swings, but both the actual mechanics and the feel of the power move with the hips and body is very different between the two swings, and unless your experience will be much different than mine, it's going to be VERY hard to make the switch if you insist of never toning it down a bit and concentrating first on making the switch, then on how to make that really aggressive push and snap you want to make while staying with the golf swing instead of the baseball swing.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by chilly

Why do these threads always devolve into a pissing match.  Who cares if it's possible, or not possible, or if you think the guy is full of BS.  Just move along, or help answer the question.

Sage advice - thanks!

Originally Posted by chilly

Why do you care if somebody points out that something impossible isn't possible?

It's a got damn forum for discussion, if I want to partake in the discussion of the possibility of something (which is a funking matter of fact), then I will do so.  If somebody wants to proclaim that somebody is full of BS, why shouldn't they?  What skin is it off of your back?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!