IGNORED

Nike Vr Covert Driver - What do you think?

Casey
Note: This thread is 3935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like watching his video, but a lot of his reviews are mostly that he likes them or he thinks they're good - not too many bad reviews. Most of the negative aspects of his reviews pertain to sound, looks, or feel, which is mostly subjective anyway and should be judged by the golfers themselves. Nothing against Mark, but I would consider his "reviews" just him giving his 2 cents or just getting the opportunity to watch someone hit a new club.

Originally Posted by cooke119

If you want to see the Covert driver demo'ed go to YouTube and search on 'mark crossfield covert driver'. He does a really good review.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I agree about Mark. There's some decent reviews but quite biased. He had one last year for the Callaway RAZR FIT and just because they wouldn't give him a demo model he got it in his head that they were trying to hide it from him. The whole of the rest of the video you could tell how good he thought it was but he kept saying things along the lines of "I don't know what they've got to hide".

Driver - 10.5° Callaway RAZR Fit 

3 Wood - 15° Callaway Diablo Octane

Hybrid - 18.25° & 21° Titleist 913H 

Irons 5-PW - Cleveland CG16 Satin Chrome

Gap Wedge - 50° MD Golf NV Drew Standard Bounce 

Sand Wedge - 56° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Lob Wedge - 60° Cleveland 588 RTX 

Putter - Cleveland Classic Black Platinum 6

I saw all the Covert models at Dick's Sporting goods yesterday. One of them was over 500 bucks. At that price I should be able to shake the club at the ball and it flys to the hole on its own. Awful lot of money to swing a swoosh.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

That's a pretty high mark up especially when Nike, themselves, sell them for $299 for the 460 head and $399 for the tour.

Originally Posted by Derrick Parker

I saw all the Covert models at Dick's Sporting goods yesterday. One of them was over 500 bucks. At that price I should be able to shake the club at the ball and it flys to the hole on its own. Awful lot of money to swing a swoosh.

Best Regards,
Ryan

:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

I hit both at the store a couple weeks ago.  Love the look, but I didn't really feel anything 'extra' there though.  That said, they were on different stiffness shafts than I hit normally.

I'll try more demos as they come available just to see.  And this time bring my VR Pro Str8 fit for a side-by-side.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Like most newer drivers, its a lot of gimmick.  Im HIGHLY skeptical of just how much of a benefit you get with that cavity back.  Im sure the driver is plenty long but if I had a newer driver I certainly wouldnt rush out to buy a Covert just for the cavity.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I have played the 9.5 Tour Version with a regular flex shaft for the past 3 rounds and can reliably say that I have not ever hit any driver further.. It did take a while to get used to the impact sound which is quite dull and "thuddy" sounding to me.  Kind of reminds me of the Yonex drivers of old.  But when looking at the results, I can certainly get used to the sound very very quickly..

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

That's a pretty high mark up especially when Nike, themselves, sell them for $299 for the 460 head and $399 for the tour.

It didn't have a stock shaft so now I suspect it was some custom job that Dick's is selling. The price was 579.00

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Hit it again yesterday.  Felt much better.  Didn't really see much of a difference, though, to my VR Pro Str8 Fit.  Pretty club really IMO.

Bill - 

That makes sense. I forgot to mention that when I visited The Golf Mart in my area, they were charging I think it was $349 for the 460 and $449 for the tour. The prices I mentioned could be off, but I know it was a lot higher than what was advertised by Nike and other major golf retailers. I even checked the shaft and it was the made-for-Nike Mitsubishi Kuro Kage in there. I also checked if other clubs were marked up but saw that the Titleist 913 and new Taylormade R1 were priced accordingly. Just the Nike was at a premium. Thought it was interesting.

Originally Posted by Derrick Parker

It didn't have a stock shaft so now I suspect it was some custom job that Dick's is selling. The price was 579.00

Best Regards,
Ryan

I don't know if I had a poor opinion of the driver prior to hitting it based on paint and the fact I have never cared for Nike stuff but I believe I did. Watching Rory play with it Dubi I noticed that the driver had a very muted sound compared to Tigers Nike. And when I hit it I did notice that was very muted, I personally like hearing my driver but that's just me. It did seem to be accurate and distance didn't appear to be a problem. Now the paint was horrible with that huge swoosh on the crown, still not as bad as all that Taylomade garbage but it distracted me. I am sure it will sell but ill stick with my simple i20 no adjustments and I love the flat black!

I had a chance to hit it at the PGA Merchandise show and I thought the Pro version of the driver was hotter than the standard.  I also preferred the feel of the fairway woods and hybrids.  I think this driver will do quite well for Nike.

I just got these two in on Tuesday. I'll be writing a review for the main site.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

I just got these two in on Tuesday. I'll be writing a review for the main site.

I really like the look of the Tour

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I had a chance to hit both models of the covert.  I like the look of the club, the red is actually quite well done and isn't distracting at all. However, I didn't like hitting the Tour model at all.  The sound was tinny to me and it had a dead feeling to it.  I hit it the same distance as my PING i20.  The performance head was much better as far as sound goes.  It has a solid smack sound that I really like.  The feel was pretty good compared to the Tour model.  It felt more solid but still felt kinda smushy instead of springy.  If I had to hit this club I would choose the performance over the tour no question.  But hitting my i20 after hitting the Coverts really put into perspective how mediocre both of the Coverts really are.

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

I intended to get one. I think they look good. I went and hit a few clubs @ Golfsmith to see some #'s, I now own a Callaway Razr Fit Extreme. Performance talks for me.

:nike:Covert Tour

:wilson_staff: Fybrid RS 15*

Irons??

:tmade: Tour Preffered 54* & 60* w/ ATV grind

:rife: Trinidad Tropical

I really like the look of the Tour

Same, the black looks much better. Not just the sole but that face is black as well. I've always preferred that. The red color and the Swoosh aren't as annoying as I thought they would be. I think I even prefer the red, or at least there's something about it that I like more than the matte white color TaylorMade uses.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Golf Galaxy had a Nike guy onsite yesterday with the clubs that you could hit in the simulator and for trying it he was giving out a few 2 ball sleeves of new Nike Golf Balls.

I currently game a Cleveland DST Launcher and recently picked up a FTiQ on ebay.  The sales guy started with my choice of heads (i choose the performance model) and configured it at 10.5 loft and neutral face angle.  After hitting it for 2/3 hits and having a soft but playable fade, we closed up the face 1 degree and those produced excellent numbers.

Here is the comparison of the 3 drivers

All 3 drivers have the stock stiff shafts.  My swing speed is somewhere in the 104~107 range.

Cleveland 9 deg.              Nike 10.5 deg           Callaway 10.5 deg

Best drive Total distance    282                                295                          275

Average over 3-4 drives      262                                282                          270

Number of misses             1 (hit it off the toe)          1 (hit it off the toe)      0 (had the tightest pattern)

*The simulator is typically 7-10% than real life, my best drives on the golf course are around 270 and the average is closer 240~250.

I gamed the Cleveland last year and I picked up the FTiQ about a month ago because I remember really liking the way it felt (and it was cheap on ebay) and I was hoping that a driver would give me a little more consistency.

I like the Nike club a lot.  Having been the first person to hit it, I could see the ball impact spot on the face, and that being said, when I hit it off the heel, It didn't feel as pure as when I hit it in the middle of the face, so I am not buying that the cavity technology is as good as they make it sound.  However, I will say that the adjustable face and loft did give me better distance than either of my current clubs.  The color is nice, it isn't distracting, the swoosh is easy to get over.  The shaft has a nice feel at the top of the backswing and the sound / feel at impact is very nice (like others have said, it feels solid)

I don't have the budget for a new driver this year (getting new irons) but if I did, having hit several of the new drivers, it would be a toss up between this and the new Ping G25.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Note: This thread is 3935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!