IGNORED

Tiger Tops Tee Shot

saevel25
Note: This thread is 4116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

They never showed a good shot of it from what I could tell.

They really need some professional camera men and directors in Europe.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by turtleback

I was thinking that same thing while watching the events in Asia. At times the camera completely missed the ball flight and landing and just moved around as if they looking at the scenery

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

I wish they would show those rare bad shots better than they typically do.  I would've liked to see a slow-mo and the announcers should've said what the carry distance was.  Not to embarass the guy - but I would just find it interesting as a viewer.  Plus it helps you understand how good the *next* shot is (which it usually is).

Saw a slow motion of Tiger's shot this morning - pretty sure it was on the golf channel's morning show.

It looked like he hit the ground more than 6 " behind the ball. Gonna look for it on youtube

When asked about this shot Tiger said that he blamed it on the fact that he changed his "game plan". He had previously planned on hitting a 5 iron there, then changed his mind, then questioned his decision and then hit driver even though, and I quote, "I didn't want to hit that shot."

Embarrassing as it was for him, it would have been nice to hear him actually answer the question admitting his human fraility instead of answering like a politician. It seems that the cause of a mishit like that has a technical explanation (I'll leave that to people who know it).  Instead, he shifted the focus off of the topper and talked about how psychologically conflicted he was as he endured the tortuous experience of making the final decision on the proper club with which to tee off!

I'll have to keep this in mind when I hit a loser shot. "No, I didn't hurry, take it too far to the inside, get caught with my weight on my back foot, come in too steep or just have a mini-stroke." No. The problem was, "I didn't want to hit that shot."

Shoot...whenever I hit a shot like that, one thing is for sure. I never wanted to hit that shot either.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Lol! Interesting that you said "instructor" in singular form :)

Nothing meant by that. Patrick is from Austria, though.

Guys in Abu Dhabi don't regularly film golf, so I can understand why they're not the best at filming it. It's tough.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Old1964

Saw a slow motion of Tiger's shot this morning - pretty sure it was on the golf channel's morning show.

It looked like he hit the ground more than 6 " behind the ball. Gonna look for it on youtube

When asked about this shot Tiger said that he blamed it on the fact that he changed his "game plan". He had previously planned on hitting a 5 iron there, then changed his mind, then questioned his decision and then hit driver even though, and I quote, "I didn't want to hit that shot."

Embarrassing as it was for him, it would have been nice to hear him actually answer the question admitting his human fraility instead of answering like a politician. It seems that the cause of a mishit like that has a technical explanation (I'll leave that to people who know it).  Instead, he shifted the focus off of the topper and talked about how psychologically conflicted he was as he endured the tortuous experience of making the final decision on the proper club with which to tee off!

I'll have to keep this in mind when I hit a loser shot. "No, I didn't hurry, take it too far to the inside, get caught with my weight on my back foot, come in too steep or just have a mini-stroke." No. The problem was, "I didn't want to hit that shot."

Shoot...whenever I hit a shot like that, one thing is for sure. I never wanted to hit that shot either.

Basically he's saying he wasn't committed to the shot because he didn't feel comfortable hitting the driver there.  That's admitting a fault--a mental fault at that, which for Tiger is probably worse than just making a bad swing.  I think it's an interesting comment, because I can certainly relate.  Most of my bad shots result from not committing and therefore having the necessary confidence in what I'm about to do with the club.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

Basically he's saying he wasn't committed to the shot because he didn't feel comfortable hitting the driver there.  That's admitting a fault--a mental fault at that, which for Tiger is probably worse than just making a bad swing.  I think it's an interesting comment, because I can certainly relate.  Most of my bad shots result from not committing and therefore having the necessary confidence in what I'm about to do with the club.

I understand. His way in dealing with uncomfortable questions just grates on me a bit. I would rather he just said, "I don't want to talk about that." and move on. Like the way he handled the question about his two-stroke penalty for claiming an embedded lie and taking the free drop.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by saevel25

Anybody watch Tiger top the first tee shot on his 2nd 9 holes? I found it very enjoyable :p

What I loved most about it, is that it came after a stretch of (I think) three birdies in 4 or 5 holes and he was hitting it great.  Then he does a drop-hook on his next tee shot.

It's just nice to know that, yes these guys are much more talented than us, but they still have to work just as hard to prevent making the same mistakes that we have to work hard to prevent.  The same goes for the Hunter Mahan shanks.  Who is the other guy who suffers from shanks sometimes?  Webb Simpson?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

The same goes for the Hunter Mahan shanks.  Who is the other guy who suffers from shanks sometimes?  Webb Simpson?

Colin007

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Originally Posted by turtleback

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

They never showed a good shot of it from what I could tell.

It is widely known that European cameramen don't know where their balls can be found...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Old1964

I understand. His way in dealing with uncomfortable questions just grates on me a bit. I would rather he just said, "I don't want to talk about that." and move on. Like the way he handled the question about his two-stroke penalty for claiming an embedded lie and taking the free drop.

Let me get this straight. You want him to admit that he made a bad swing? Well, that much is obvious from the video. What he did was go one step further and explain to you why it happened. If you're really a 6 handicapper, I would assume you know the true consequences of not committing to a shot.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Originally Posted by colin007

Colin007

lol, in deed.  You and me both.

Originally Posted by 3putter

Let me get this straight. You want him to admit that he made a bad swing? Well, that much is obvious from the video. What he did was go one step further and explain to you why it happened. If you're really a 6 handicapper, I would assume you know the true consequences of not committing to a shot.

I'm as confused as you are by those comments.  It seemed to me he went into some level of depth trying to explain how he could make a bad swing like that in the first place.  It didn't seem crude or trite at all.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Both of them hit some less than stellar shots. Time for them to shake of the rust and get back to work.

Hmmm, maybe next week?  For Tiger at least.  Pretty sure I heard Rory say something about being off for 4 weeks or so after this.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

It's just nice to know that, yes these guys are much more talented than us, but they still have to work just as hard to prevent making the same mistakes that we have to work hard to prevent.  The same goes for the Hunter Mahan shanks.  Who is the other guy who suffers from shanks sometimes?  Webb Simpson?

Yeah, I watched a lot of golf on TV last year, and certain things stuck in my mind.  I can picture, plain as day, Hunters shank in the Accenture match play, approach to a par 4 with a wedge, and I believe that Webb actually did it twice last year.  I want to say the second one was a par 3 tee shot during the Ryder Cup.  Don't remember the first.

I totally agree though, that although we watch them because they're great and we want them to do good, it is a nice reminder every once in awhile that they are, in fact, human.

I also saw Lexi Thompson do it last year ... two shots in a row.

Did anybody see Tiger duff his driver in the first round?  OMG......he flat out whiffed a DRIVER.....it has a 4600cc head for Gods sake!!

I think it went less than 100yds!!!  He barely got it past the ladies tee!!  I'm just a lowly AM hack, and I don't think I hit a drive that bad in several years.............LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

That and he might not make the cut, he lost his ball in a hazard, had Kaymer come over to ask about a ruling.  Tiger ended up droping a ball and then hit to the side to get back in fairway.  Turns out it was a 2 shot penalty, put him to +3.

**Update, he did miss the cut:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/tiger-woods-lands-two-shot-penalty-misses-cut-145808016--golf.html

Speaking of cuts:

The impossible standard: Tiger Woods has 10 missed cuts in PGA/European career as pro (age 37). Rory McIlroy has 22 (age 23).

• Administrator
Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Did anybody see Tiger duff his driver in the first round?  OMG......he flat out whiffed a DRIVER.....it has a 4600cc head for Gods sake!!

I think it went less than 100yds!!!  He barely got it past the ladies tee!!  I'm just a lowly AM hack, and I don't think I hit a drive that bad in several years.............LOL

Please search before starting threads. When it's about Tiger Woods there's roughly a 99.3% chance someone's already made the thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 4116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!