IGNORED

My Swing (andycolluk)

andycolluk
Note: This thread is 3364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 4 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 70/71

My typical ball flight is:Straight / Slight Draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Squirty one right

Hi everyone

I am new to this and still finding my feet.  I thought i would start here, if you let me know what you think.  I regularly shoot around 70 / 71.  My goal is to turn pro in the next few years.  I hate my swing but it is effective so go easy on me guys.

My bad shot is a lowish squirty shot going right.

I like how steady you keep your head and maintain your inclination to the ground... Very nice.  It looks like you have a lot of lag too on the downswing.  But your takeaway is definitely something that I believe could be improved.  I don't know, you seem to get the club slotted quite well, but the way you load the club from A2 to A3 and into A4 looks like you are barely holding onto the club - and it is kind of noodling around.

Have you tried working on your vertical hinging of the left wrist from the shaft parallel to your arm parallel to the top?  That hinge pin looks odd to me in your swings.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why do you hate your swing?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Check this out...  This is A3.  At A3 - your shaft is well under plane.  Try getting that vertical wrist hinge at A3 and stand the shaft up more.

Here is a very simple tip from Michael Breed on getting the proper wrist set at A3 to A4.

This should help you get the shaft on plane - and more vertical.  As mentioned, it looks like you were too loose (noodly) with your hands.

Thanks for your help Beachcomber. I will give this a bash and get back to you with my progress. The reason I do not like my swing is just because in my eyes, it does not look natural. Perhaps this is just my own biased perception however compared to a Rory mcilroy, tiger or Adam Scott, it seems way off the mark.

Originally Posted by andycolluk

Thanks for your help Beachcomber. I will give this a bash and get back to you with my progress.

The reason I do not like my swing is just because in my eyes, it does not look natural. Perhaps this is just my own biased perception however compared to a Rory mcilroy, tiger or Adam Scott, it seems way off the mark.

No worries bud.  One thing I'd recommend is that you setup the camera so that we can see the geometries better.

Please read this blog post which details how to setup the camera for optimal viewing analysis.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Lastly, I'd recommend that you film in addition to your current Down-the-Line (DTL) view... To film a Face-On (Caddy) view, as well as a Posterior (Rear) view.  A guy at your playing level, we need better camera shots to see what is going on.

Good playing.

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Why do you hate your swing?

Originally Posted by andycolluk

The reason I do not like my swing is just because in my eyes, it does not look natural. Perhaps this is just my own biased perception however compared to a Rory mcilroy, tiger or Adam Scott, it seems way off the mark.

Dude, I hear you.  I feel the same way.  There's something about seeing your own swing on video, especially for the first time.  "Whoa ... THATS what I look like?  Yuck!"

However, if I can make it function properly with it still being ugly, I'd much rather that than having a "pretty" swing that doesn't work.

Well, it looks like you hit it far enough.......so the only other thing is accuracy. How accurate are you?

When you get to a level of golf that you're playing at, does it matter what your swing looks like?. Instead of looking at Scott, look at Senior.

IMHO, you are well past the point where a little tweak to c6 or an elongation of p12 will yield any accuracy.

The accuracy is in your mind and in your hands

Nice swing too.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Logman

Generally I pride myself in being very accurate. However over the close season, I decided that I needed to change a few things, mainly because I was getting far too steep robbing me of distance.  I want to be able to hit my 6 irons as far as the guys on the PGA.  At the moment in around 35 degrees fahrenheit, I manage about 184 average with my 6 iron but realise that the guys on tour are hitting it aroung 15 yards further so this was the main reason for the changes.

What do you guys all think about my transition?  This is also something I feel looks too quick which could, in my view cause the club to waver off line from square?

Thanks for all your help so far.

To me the transition looks slightly quick, but pretty decent overall.  Interested to see what the other guys think.  Nice swing though!  Also I don't know if it is the camera angle/vanishing point, but it looks like you are hitting slight pull cuts and not draws?  Your feet are aimed slightly out to the right and it appears you are pulling the shot back across to the left.  Look at the second shot in particular.  I do this a lot and always look for it in my videos.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I would definately say that my feet are aiming right of target, I think this is from a few years of aiming left and have over compensated.  It is something I will work on.  I was aiming for a pole that you can see in the distance and there was a strong left to right wind but it certainly looks as the ball is starting left and have pulled it.  The bad shot I have been trying to eliminate is the one that is cutting right. This was because I got so steep on the ball however.  I will keep working on it at the range tonight and let you know how I get on.  Thanks for your analysis.

Currently 35 - 45 mph winds here just now so practice will be fun.  But Im not going to improve with no practice.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Now that the winter period is upon me here in Scotland, it is time to iron out my bad habits.  I have a reasonable idea what is wrong, however can anyone help.  Poor shot is a high shot right.

Cheers in advance

It looks like you have changed your tempo to a slower swing. I'm no expert, but to me, your swing looks pretty nice. Good work lad.

@Hammer 4 - I have worked a lot on slowing my tempo down (ball ain't going anywhere on my backswing / transition).  Really happy that this is now noticeable.  Thanks for your kind words, just hoping that this will be a big year for me.

@BENtSwing32 - Again, thanks for the kind words.  Unfortunately, I am not a pro in Scotland, it is something that I am working towards.  I have recently stopped playing professional soccer, so I can work on solely golf.  At the moment, I have a UK handicap of 0, not sure how that converts into a USGA handicap.

Note: This thread is 3364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!