• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nitro

New Putter

24 posts in this topic

Good afternoon,

I have been golfing for a few years now, and haven't got all that much time into practicing and improving my game as much as i'd like.

Currently I am very inconsistent.  One 18 I will shoot a 102, then the next I will shoot a 96.

I have been using a 'fake' $30 Japanese Odyssey white hot 2 ball putter which I dislike very much.  It would be decent if the weighting wasn't so off, & had some weight to it.  It's very light.

To be honest, I really don't know if I should do blade, Mallet, or something inbetween. Seems like my putters now either go too far, or too short.  This all comes down to practice.

I've been looking at the TM Ghosts, & Odyssey putters. I like the look to the TM Ghost DA-12, and looks be fairly heavy for a blade.  On the other hand, the TM Ghost Tour FO-72 looks to be the balance between blade/mallet.  What's the big difference between the 'L-neck' and 'single-bend' shafts?

Obviously I will head to a Golf Galaxy or Dick's to do the little testing I can, but what are your thoughts on those putters, and even the ghost series in comparison with a like model by Odyssey?

Any other thoughts?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Putters are all about what feels best to you. One example was I really wanted an odyssey milled black series when it can out, I went to roll some putts with it and I hated it then found a clearance putter for $200 less than I was gonna pay. But traditionally they say mallets are for straight back straight through while blades are for more arc players. You can also put lead tape on your putter to add weight, but if you look around you can find really nice putters cheap. Like a ping iWi putter would be a nice option.

I've never been able to get a good feel for the TM inserts.  I don't seem to have any distance control with them, so I shy away.  But I will echo to hit as many putters as you can, and the right one will choose you.

I went in to buy a Scotty Cameron Newport, but couldn't make a putt with it to save my life, even though that's what I really wanted.  I ended up leaving with the SeeMore FGP Mallet, which I thought was the ugliest putter I'd ever hit.  But I putted perfectly straight with it and the speed was good.  I've reduced my putts by over 4 per round since I bought it, so it's not ugly to me anymore, it's beautiful..... lol

So I learned to hit everything I can before purchase, and what I think looks great usually isn't what putts great.

If you want a harder insert check out the metal x series thats what i have and its got a great harder feel with a nice click when you make contact. Its all about the click. i would put it between the white ice insert and the pro series with the milled face  i love it i have the 2 ball. But what i like and what you like is alot different. THese fellas above me use the see more putters. If i had the jack and was in the market for a new putter i would be looking at the metal x or one of these see more putters. I really like how they have there alignment tools on the seemore and the center shafted putters they have alot of. I went from a blade to a mallet and i really like it. these two above me helped me with my new wedges so they are the guys to talk too about putters.

First of all, making scores within a range of 96 to 102 is actually very consistent.  If you were shooting 82 and 106, that would be something else.

I have been quite a putter *****.  In my opinion, there are a couple of important things that are crucial to choosing your ideal putter:

1.)  Correct fit - the putter needs to be the right length/lie, etc.  I think many folks would agree, it's far preferable to have a putter that fits your stance and stroke, as opposed to fitting your stance and stroke to a particular putter.  When it comes to making pressure putts, you need to give yourself the best chance to get your ball on the best line with the best speed possible.

2.)  Aesthetics (appeal) - You will use your putter more than any club in your bag.  Some folks are fine with a rust eaten hunk of metal, or are proud to have found the bargain bin putter that they can beat their friends with.  Other folks want to use what the tour pros use.  It's up to you to decide which scenario appeals to you, but for me, having a nice putter drives me to practice more.

3.)  Price - $300 is about the high end of the market for a premium putter today.  You can do quite well with an Odyssey ($125 - $175) insert putter, or a PING ($120 - $299).  If you're inclined to pay for quality, you can also go the customized route (Edel, etc.) which may be worth the time and expense, depending upon how seriously you want to pursue the game.

In my opinion, a great way to test a putter is to hit a straight, 3 foot putt.  If you are putting the ball consistently on the line you intend, you should be making a high percentage of these putts.  If you aren't making consistent contact, or aren't making a sizeable percentage of these, your putter may not fit your stroke.

Good luck!

When i went from a blad to a mallet i made sure the length was appropriate i was putting a 32.5 and went to a 35 i like haveing a upright stance alot more. So make sure its the right lenght for sure less back pain too with a longer putter.More time practicing.

You could also find a SAM putting lab and see what putters you hit best, I find that the indoor putting greens at the golf stores can be deceiving.

Boy inst that true i swear they have liittle channels under the greens of shops so you hole everyone.

Originally Posted by Pblock45

Boy inst that true i swear they have liittle channels under the greens of shops so you hole everyone.

i know for a fact that do...or else they have magnets or something!! I got fitted for new metalx....hate the GD thing with passion, don't make a swing worth shit and will never use it again. i used to push my misses almost everytime, the metalx has more heel weight and now everthing is a pull.

just like the old saying with ball striking you can talk to a fade but you can't say shit to a hook!!!

Lol thats funny i have dropped so much money trying it at a store and cant hit the thing to save my life out on the course. This is just proof that getting fit is the best. i love my metal x alot more than my old yes putter but different strokes for diffent folks.

Originally Posted by Pblock45

As they say at my local golf superstore, "Everything breaks toward the cash register."

Ha Ha isnt that true. Ive never heard that but im gonna use that at somepoint in a conversation. Edwin watts is like the devil for me my wife trys not to let me go when i visit florida.

Originally Posted by carrx

As they say at my local golf superstore, "Everything breaks toward the cash register."

Lol, everything except for the dreams. Those get broken after you leave the store. When I buy a putter or any golf club for that matter I accept that testing it out will occur on the course and that I may not like it and have to take a hit on trading it in for something else. You can only get so much feedback on fake putting greens, simulators and practice mats.

My course has a ton of demo clubs and you can play a round with it all you have to do is leave a i.d card. I would look for something like that its a great way to demo it out in different real world situations.

At the PGA Superstore in Myrtle Beach, they have a huge putting green, but also have a training putting mat out that's for sale.  It has distance lines on it, along with a center line.  Using that mat, I could quickly discern what putters I was actually seeing as straight using the alignment aides or lack of.  I kept hitting putters until I could setup comfortably on that line and without trying to do any manipulation, the ball would stay consistently on the line.  Some did, some I immediately pushed or pulled because what I was seeing with certain putters wasn't straight down the line.

In the end, I bought the putter that allowed me to make the most putts down a straight line.

Don't sleep on the Cleveland Classics - I've had one of the originals (upgraded the grip) for a few years now and LOVE IT! Great putters for a great price. The newer ones come with an improved grip!

Originally Posted by jgreen85

Don't sleep on the Cleveland Classics - I've had one of the originals (upgraded the grip) for a few years now and LOVE IT! Great putters for a great price. The newer ones come with an improved grip!

Ditto. Just got this lovely putter at a ridiculously low price. Yet, it feels great! Love it.

I have a DART metal X and to tell you the truth it is so ugly but i hit it very streight, great roll for a person that has a very easy stroke but I put it back three times I was looking but I hit it that good so now i bag it. I also have a SC fastback that was what I wanted and only use it on a few courses. i think I got it because it was a SC paid to much.

But a putter is like a good woman once you have it in your hands you will know..