IGNORED

My Swing (jbishop15)

jbishop15

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

What are you working on right now?

Do you want some small tips here, or are you on evolvr or working with someone in person?

I'm working on finding a feel that accomplishes two things: gets my arms higher, and gets the club to point more left at the top. 

I am not doing evolvr right now. I signed up for it a few months ago, but cancelled after one session, because I was working 60 hours a week and couldn't find time to implement the instruction I was getting. 

I would love some tips, if you have any. If you think that me getting my arms higher/laying off the club shouldn't be my priority piece, by all means, I'll do something else! 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

I'm working on finding a feel that accomplishes two things: gets my arms higher, and gets the club to point more left at the top. 

I would love some tips, if you have any. If you think that me getting my arms higher/laying off the club shouldn't be my priority piece, by all means, I'll do something else! 

Basically… what I'd look to do right now is a LOT of mirror work. You take the club up and out, so it's very steep. Then you pull your hands in and worse yet roll the forearms quite a bit. This actually gets the club to a point where it feels shallow, but is close to a good plane. Then you counter-roll the forearms and wrists and put it across the line, from which you never really recover.

I'd love to see you film this with a range bucket and then a golf club.

1. Set up holding a range bucket with the opening facing up and away from you and a few golf balls inside.
  2. Begin your backswing making the bucket go more "vertical" (i.e. in a way that the balls would stay in, the opening at the top).
  3. As you get to about A3, begin to feel that you're going to dump all the balls out of the bucket behind you. Not toward the target, but toward your butt (away from the ball).
  4. Keep the bucket pointed behind your butt (away from the ball) as you simulate a slow downswing to about A6.
  • Upvote 5

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

Basically… what I'd look to do right now is a LOT of mirror work. You take the club up and out, so it's very steep. Then you pull your hands in and worse yet roll the forearms quite a bit. This actually gets the club to a point where it feels shallow, but is close to a good plane. Then you counter-roll the forearms and wrists and put it across the line, from which you never really recover.

1. Set up holding a range bucket with the opening facing up and away from you and a few golf balls inside.
  2. Begin your backswing making the bucket go more "vertical" (i.e. in a way that the balls would stay in, the opening at the top).
  3. As you get to about A3, begin to feel that you're going to dump all the balls out of the bucket behind you. Not toward the target, but toward your butt (away from the ball).
  4. Keep the bucket pointed behind your butt (away from the ball) as you simulate a slow downswing to about A6.

Well, I have this afternoon off from my second job, so I think I'll go work on this right now! Thanks for the instruction! 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Didn't get to practice, because my range closed early for... who knows why, but I do have a question: when you say keep it "vertical", would a way of feeling that be to feel as if the right arm is over the left, or that the arms are even going back? 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

Didn't get to practice, because my range closed early for... who knows why, but I do have a question: when you say keep it "vertical", would a way of feeling that be to feel as if the right arm is over the left, or that the arms are even going back? 

Yes.

Then they flip from A3-A4 so the right arm is "under."

Find a bucket or even a pitcher or something and film it now in your house and post that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

End of early session; more coming later.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

End of early session; more coming later.

Can you post the videos I suggested above?

And then really work on things SLOWLY and with a MIRROR? :-)

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Can you post the videos I suggested above?

And then really work on things SLOWLY and with a MIRROR? :-)

Had practice video from first session, but camera had slipped and I didn't notice; the footage was bad, so I tossed it. Then I had to head back to work, so I only had that video above.

Here is some DTL video. I was about to do some FO video, but the guy doing the range came up behind me and took all the balls and drove off with them. So, no FO video! 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

That's a weird looking bucket, almost looks like a golf club ;-)

Looks better, keep hammering away at the bucket/backswing feels and make sure the arms aren't getting too far behind you too early on the practice moves (and swing).

Like @iacas said, check it in a mirror at home. Can use a glass or water bottle or small box.

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 2.27.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 2.31.48 PM.png

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

7 minutes ago, mvmac said:

That's a weird looking bucket, almost looks like a golf club ;-)

Looks better, keep hammering away at the bucket/backswing feels and make sure the arms aren't getting too far behind you too early on the practice moves (and swing).

Like @iacas said, check it in a mirror at home. Can use a glass or water bottle or small box.

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 2.27.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 2.31.48 PM.png

Couldn't use a bucket, either! When I got to the range around lunch, they hadn't even put balls out yet. When I got back from work in the afternoon, the only balls there were the ones I poured a few hours prior. It was ridiculous. 

How do I get my arms higher? Do I keep the right arm straight? I'm struggling with that. 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

14 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

Couldn't use a bucket, either! When I got to the range around lunch, they hadn't even put balls out yet. When I got back from work in the afternoon, the only balls there were the ones I poured a few hours prior. It was ridiculous. 

How do I get my arms higher? Do I keep the right arm straight? I'm struggling with that. 

Get in front of a mirror with the practice aid (bottle, bowl, glass, box) and take it to 3. Check it in the mirror, keep the balls in the bucket with the hands more "in front" of your chest. If it's off, adjust, put it in the right spot, look down at the "ball" and hold it for a couple seconds and then start over. When you start getting it identify what it feels like. Keep working on getting to 3 without having the make adjustments. 5 minutes everyday and you'll start seeing changes.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

Get in front of a mirror with the practice aid (bottle, bowl, glass, box) and take it to 3. Check it in the mirror, keep the balls in the bucket with the hands more "in front" of your chest. If it's off, adjust, put it in the right spot, look down at the "ball" and hold it for a couple seconds and then start over. When you start getting it identify what it feels like. Keep working on getting to 3 without having the make adjustments. 5 minutes everyday and you'll start seeing changes.

These are the "easy" type of changes to make @jbishop15.  Just look at Rory, and get in front of a mirror and get in that position.  Then do a little backswing without looking and see how different you are.  Go back and forth, and in just a couple of minutes you should be able to feel what it feels like (TO YOU :-P) to be in that position.  My guess is that it'll feel like you're 30 degrees outside where you actually are.

1 hour ago, jbishop15 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "higher?".  What Mike and Erik are getting at is that your hands need to be waaaaaaaaay more to the right of where they are in those A3 stills.  Do exactly what you're doing in the first part of the video but in front of a mirror.  Then when you're stopped at A3, look back, and manipulate yourself to where you should be.

And definitely don't keep the right arm straight.  Let that bad boy fold. :)

6 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

My guess is that it'll feel like you're 30 degrees outside where you actually are.

I agree. I had the issue where I was sending the club head way to the inside, going shallow to steep. When I first tried to feel the club more steep and my hands more out it felt extreme. Trusting the turn to take care of the depth is tough. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 1 month later...

Took a little bit of video today. Playing well lately, so haven't spent a lot time changing anything. 

Things I notice: backswing is very long, I have a lot of lag (perhaps too much), and my head kicks down and back quite a bit (which is probably a response to the amount of lag). 

DL

FO

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

With such a flat shoulder turn you end up going flat to steep. Imagine if the shoulders were pointing more towards that white post. Your club would be in a much better position at A3

A3 v A5.jpg

To combat the big move from flat to steep you end up tipping backwards in the downswing.  

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 7.24.26 PM.png

Check out this video. Mikes does a good job explaining how the left shoulder should go down more.

• Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Short practice video. 

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

Swing from end of practice session today.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Practiced for two hours, worked on downswing. Had gotten steep, much better after today.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag