IGNORED

What are your loft degrees in the wedges you carry?

awsmith0454
Note: This thread is 4079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

All Edel wedges: 48, 54, 60.

I use the 60 a LOT nowadays. Most bounce. Most glide. :)

You can go back to find posts of mine where I say I almost never use the 60. Why? Turns out because most of my 60s had only about 4° bounce.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

You can go back to find posts of mine where I say I almost never use the 60. Why? Turns out because most of my 60s had only about 4° bounce.

I had a 60 with 4 degrees once. For a week. They don't do that great on the soft courses that I play most of the time. I found that 7-10 degrees on the 60 added more value to my game.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator
Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I had a 60 with 4 degrees once. For a week. They don't do that great on the soft courses that I play most of the time. I found that 7-10 degrees on the 60 added more value to my game.

Mine's got 22. Works great on hardpan, soft lies, sand, long grass, etc. I know you've been gone for a little bit, so more here .

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Since my day gig involves project management, I look at everything the same way:  Determine scope, develop strategy, enlist tools to support strategy.  Same for my golf game:

Wedge Scope = reducing score;  Strategy = keeping ball from getting inside 80 yards of hole; Enlist tools = wedges that hit 110, 100, 90 and 80 shots effectively.

That said, my PW is 45, GW 50; SW 54 and LW is 58.  In the rare instance I end up with a 60 yard wedge shot, I use the 58 and open it up a bit.

Used to have a 60 LW, but didn't see much application for my approach to the game.

PW, GW and SW (for the most part) are used for full shots.  The 58 is my weapon of choice around the greens for hitting higher, softer, closer to the hole shots.  Other clubs are used for pitches and chips when needed, but I like to keep the same wedge in my hands as much as possible for shots around the green.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

• Administrator
Originally Posted by dave s

Wedge Scope = reducing score;  Strategy = keeping ball from getting inside 80 yards of hole; Enlist tools = wedges that hit 110, 100, 90 and 80 shots effectively.

The problem with that line of thinking is that you will get closer to the hole from 40 yards than you will from 80 with even the teeniest amount of practice.

Originally Posted by iacas

The problem with that line of thinking is that you will get closer to the hole from 40 yards than you will from 80 with even the teeniest amount of practice.

I used to avoid leaving myself less than full wedges into greens because I was sure I did better with them than partial shots.

In the end I realised that I was only doing better with full wedges against my expectations. For a 40 yard pitch I was expecting to put it pretty close but not doing it very often, even missing the green occasionally. For a full wedge I'd miss the green more often but as my expectation wasn't as high, I didn't rate it as such a poor shot.

There are still times to leave a full wedge, like when you need more backspin on the shot, but I've realised that the closer you can get to the hole the better the result you'll get with a wedge.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Mordan

I used to avoid leaving myself less than full wedges into greens because I was sure I did better with them than partial shots.

In the end I realised that I was only doing better with full wedges against my expectations. For a 40 yard pitch I was expecting to put it pretty close but not doing it very often, even missing the green occasionally. For a full wedge I'd miss the green more often but as my expectation wasn't as high, I didn't rate it as such a poor shot.

There are still times to leave a full wedge, like when you need more backspin on the shot, but I've realised that the closer you can get to the hole the better the result you'll get with a wedge.

Bold = Bingo.

I carry my R11 PW and the 56* and 60* wedges.

Putter:  Classic Black Platinum 1

Driver:  R1 Stiff flex

3 Wood:  AMP - Regular flex, 15 degrees

3 Hybrid:  Baffler T-Rail - Regular flex, 19 degrees

Irons: :tmade: MC Forged - PW-4

Wedges: :cleve: 588 RTX 2.0 Tour Blade Black Satin - 52.10 and 58.10

Ball:  Pro V1x

I also have an AW.

Putter:  Classic Black Platinum 1

Driver:  R1 Stiff flex

3 Wood:  AMP - Regular flex, 15 degrees

3 Hybrid:  Baffler T-Rail - Regular flex, 19 degrees

Irons: :tmade: MC Forged - PW-4

Wedges: :cleve: 588 RTX 2.0 Tour Blade Black Satin - 52.10 and 58.10

Ball:  Pro V1x

Bugger it, I'm confused already,I'm sure I need 50-51 deg wedge now that I think of it. Do all you wedges need to be the same manufacture because I don't think TM make a 50 or 51 l/h ATV wedge

R11s driver 

R11s 3 wood

Rescue 11 3  18*

Rescue 11 4  21*

MP-59 5-pw

ATV wedge 54* 60*

Metal-X 2 ball putter

3.0 buggy

DX-3 ball

FLX glove

Shoes

Towel

Oakley antix sunglasses 

solar umbrella 

Originally Posted by Shortylook

Bugger it, I'm confused already,I'm sure I need 50-51 deg wedge now that I think of it. Do all you wedges need to be the same manufacture because I don't think TM make a 50 or 51 l/h ATV wedge

Your clubs can be whatever they want.  Whatever feels good and works for you.  You could have 14 different clubs from 14 different manufacturers.

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

Your clubs can be whatever they want.  Whatever feels good and works for you.  You could have 14 different clubs from 14 different manufacturers.

Ok I just wasn't sure if your wedges should be all same. If I can't find a ATV l/h in 50-51 then ill be on the prowl for a 50 from someone else. I'm thinking vokey or Cleveland, even though I haven't even picked one of them up. All the commercials get me every time ha ha. I'm a gear bandit

R11s driver 

R11s 3 wood

Rescue 11 3  18*

Rescue 11 4  21*

MP-59 5-pw

ATV wedge 54* 60*

Metal-X 2 ball putter

3.0 buggy

DX-3 ball

FLX glove

Shoes

Towel

Oakley antix sunglasses 

solar umbrella 

I have found that I change it up often depending on where I"m playing. Most of the time I have a 52 and 58 in the bag. I can also be a 56 and 60 depending on the course I play. I like my wedges with very little bounce. Love those sharp edges! Actually I've been thinking of taking the 2 iron out and putting in another wedge.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Interesting.  I checked my clubs and I only have 0.25" gaps in length from 9 iron on down.  37", 36.75", 36.50", 36.25", and 36" for the 59* lob wedge.

You're pretty much with the norm. Most manufacturers - both of iron sets with wedges, and specialty wedges (Vokey, Cle 588) - have gone to 1/4" shaft length differences between categories of wedges.

By categories, I mean PWs (46* and 48*) will have one shaft length, GW (50* and 52*) 1/4" shorter, and SW (54* and 56*) shorter still. Some recent Cleveland models only have 1/8" between categories.

I mention this because if you have a wedge package with 4* loft differences, the distance gaps between clubs will be greater with 1/2" shaft differences than 1/4" differences.

Club designer Ralph Maltby recommends that you keep the shaft-length differences even across the wedges for consistency. (This assumes your G, S and L wedges are from the same model).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Interesting.  I checked my clubs and I only have 0.25" gaps in length from 9 iron on down.  37", 36.75", 36.50", 36.25", and 36" for the 59* lob wedge.

You're pretty much with the norm. Most manufacturers - both of iron sets with wedges, and specialty wedges (Vokey, Cle 588) - have gone to 1/4" shaft length differences between categories of wedges.

By categories, I mean PWs (46* and 48*) will have one shaft length, GW (50* and 52*) 1/4" shorter, and SW (54* and 56*) shorter still. Some recent Cleveland models only have 1/8" between categories.

I mention this because if you have a wedge package with 4* loft differences, the distance gaps between clubs will be greater with 1/2" shaft differences than 1/4" differences.

Club designer Ralph Maltby recommends that you keep the shaft-length differences even across the wedges for consistency. (This assumes your G, S and L wedges are from the same model).

That last is what I've always heard is the standard for wedges.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I carry a 47-degree iron marked 'P' (this may or may not be a wedge depending), a 51-degree iron marked 'G', and a 56-degree sand wedge. On full swings, the P and G might as well be irons. However, I am comfortable making half swings and quarter swings with my 9-iron, P, and G, and can cover just about every increment of ten yards out to full swings with the clubs with some combination of {half swing, quarter swing} and {9, P, G, 56}. [quote name="WUTiger" url="/t/64960/what-are-your-loft-degrees-in-the-wedges-you-carry/36#post_811808"]You're pretty much with the norm. Most manufacturers - both of iron sets with wedges, and specialty wedges (Vokey, Cle 588) - have gone to 1/4" shaft length differences between categories of wedges. By categories, I mean PWs (46* and 48*) will have one shaft length, GW (50* and 52*) 1/4" shorter, and SW (54* and 56*) shorter still. Some recent Cleveland models only have 1/8" between categories. I mention this because if you have a wedge package with 4* loft differences, the distance gaps between clubs will be greater with 1/2" shaft differences than 1/4" differences. Club designer Ralph Maltby recommends that you keep the shaft-length differences even across the wedges for consistency. (This assumes your G, S and L wedges are from the same model). [/quote] Do they tip the same way? I'm curious because I'm getting more and more into club building (and the Maltby forum seems to have died down quite a bit) and was wondering this the other day: if I wanted to hard step my irons, what would I do for my gap wedge (whether or not it's from the iron set)?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 4079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!