IGNORED

Ping I20's

nsatt11
Note: This thread is 4061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am currently looking for a new set of irons and I believe that I have found a winner. Some background info, I have been playing for about 10 years and am a decent player (4.2 handicap, would be lower but have school and work so I can not practice,) but i spin the ball way to much with my irons. I have heard that I20's cut down on spin. What do people think of the I20's with a KBS Tour X flex. Driver swing speed is about 110. And does anyone have some information on what changing the swing weight would do. Someone suggested to me that if i order them at D3, which is a little heavier. If anyone has some input that would be great.

In my bag

R9 TP 8.5* Voodoo XStiff shaft

RBZ Stage 2 3wd 14.5* diamana kaili XStiff

Adams Idea black hybrid 18* Project X 6.5

Ping I20's 4-P KBS Tour XStiff

Vokey SM4 49*, 59*

Older Vokey 54*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Ball Pro V1x and Nike 20XI X

I love them!  Best iron I have ever played.  At 110 you can up the swing weights on the wedges maybe but I would not do that on the long and mid irons, unless you are used to that.  I ordered mine at D0 with a D2 PW and a D3 gap.  I got the TT Dynamic Gold S300 shafts, which I love.  I am not sure about those shafts you want. I have never tried them.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure I can be of much help, but I like the ones I have.  They were custom fitted with KBS Tour 120 on the 4-U, and 130 on the 54 and 59 wedges.  Swingweights (I didn't concern myself with any of this because I don't really understand it, I'm just getting it from the spec sheet the fitter gave me) are D 6,7 (maybe he meant 6 1/2?) 4 iron through U.  D 7,8 for 54, and D 8,9 for 59.

The point is that I love my clubs! :)

Thank you for the info. I like the feel of the irons but the stock cfs shaft does not feel good to me.   Golfingdad i think they might have been talking about something else because D6 and up is ridiculously heavy for irons. I like feeling the club in my hand so i might go with the extra little weight. Thank you both for your input.

In my bag

Vokey SM4 49*, 59*

Older Vokey 54*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Assuming you have pretty decent clubhead speed, I agree you would probably not want their stock shafts.  I have played the S300's for a long time so I just went with that.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

fwiw, I just got a new set with KBS Tour 120, stiff flex last week.  I think if you should consider getting fitted for the right shaft rather than guessing.  I'd also recommend buying them on tgw.com, I probably saved $75 on tax and shipping and got them in less than two weeks.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

fwiw, I just got a new set with KBS Tour 120, stiff flex last week.  I think if you should consider getting fitted for the right shaft rather than guessing.  I'd also recommend buying them on tgw.com, I probably saved $75 on tax and shipping and got them in less than two weeks.

How do you like the feel of them? Thank you for the input. I appreciate it.  Did they charge you an upcharge on the shaft?

In my bag

Vokey SM4 49*, 59*

Older Vokey 54*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

True, if he has a decent fitter near by.  I would not trust any of the fitters I know where I live. (GS and GG)

Nate

I have hit the shafts that are not a huge upcharge. I live by a Golf mart so I have hit the shafts and the kbs performed the best. Spun the least and launched the best. On the machines I was hitting at with almost all other irons my spin with a 7 iron was almost 8000. and that is with a low spinning ball. And right after I started hitting the I20 my spin dropped to around 3500 with a low spin ball. The distance on the machine increased by almost 20 yards also.

In my bag

Vokey SM4 49*, 59*

Older Vokey 54*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Originally Posted by nsatt11

How do you like the feel of them? Thank you for the input. I appreciate it.  Did they charge you an upcharge on the shaft?

Hard to tell so far.  I had one weekend with them, the temps were about 25* and we had 10-20 mph winds.  Plus they're an inch shorter than my old irons so I was having trouble finding the sweet spot (though I think I've got it now).  I like the look and the feel, though.

The shafts were an upcharge of $10 per club, and I added the New Decade MultiCompound Grips for another $12 a club.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by nsatt11

Golfingdad i think they might have been talking about something else because D6 and up is ridiculously heavy for irons. I like feeling the club in my hand so i might go with the extra little weight. Thank you both for your input.

Yeah, like I said, I have no idea. ;)  And my clubs don't feel particularly heavy in my hands at all, so that could very well be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Irons finally came in! Ecxited to play them, they will finally be out on the course on Saturday.

In my bag

Vokey SM4 49*, 59*

Older Vokey 54*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I too just ordered some I20s. I was able to demo a 7i for a week after my fitting. It was such a big improvement over my old launchers. I'm not a good player yet but I was able to control distance with that club from 175 down to 140 give or take a little. I had so much confidence in that club, I never took my 6, 7 or 8irons out of my bag, played 45 holes with that club in my bag.

I got fitted with project X  5.5 shafts and the ball launches high and straight even if I have to over swing a bit. I started referring to that club as my magic wand.

Can't wait to play with a full set.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Originally Posted by madolive3

I too just ordered some I20s. I was able to demo a 7i for a week after my fitting. It was such a big improvement over my old launchers. I'm not a good player yet but I was able to control distance with that club from 175 down to 140 give or take a little. I had so much confidence in that club, I never took my 6, 7 or 8irons out of my bag, played 45 holes with that club in my bag.

I got fitted with project X  5.5 shafts and the ball launches high and straight even if I have to over swing a bit. I started referring to that club as my magic wand.

Can't wait to play with a full set.

Me too! Mine came in but when I went to get them I had a lot of specs that were different and Ping messed up a little on them so we sent them back. Should be in next week.

In my bag

Vokey SM4 49*, 59*

Older Vokey 54*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Note: This thread is 4061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!