• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
The Real Deal

Getting alignment right

Recently I've been struggling with my alignment and really believe it has a large bearing on the overall result of the shot. I was always taught to pick an intermediate target and set up to that. I use this method but am still battling to get it right. My question is- does anyone have a method or trick for getting the alignment right? Is there a way during practice to perfect this? Is it more important to focus on shoulders or feet or are they equally important? If I am to err is it better to be slightly open or closed or will that depend on my particular swing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacDutch    100

As a high capper, don't make it too difficult. Don't think about hundred things at te same time!

You're trick to line up is ok. If you want to be sure during a practise round. Do what you do, and then place your club in the line you took, take a step back and see if it was ok.

hmmm you are a 10?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes I am off 10. I'm not talking about making massive changes, but just wanted to know if there is another way to work on the problem. One thing I notice when watching pros on TV is that their alignment is almost always spot on so I just want to see if I can do that too.

MacDutch    100
Originally Posted by MacDutch

You're trick to line up is ok. If you want to be sure during a practise round. Do what you do, and then place your club in the line you took, take a step back and see if it was ok.

This is also legit during an official round as long as you take away the alignment-club before you hit the ball.

Mr. Desmond    371
Originally Posted by The Real Deal

Yes I am off 10. I'm not talking about making massive changes, but just wanted to know if there is another way to work on the problem. One thing I notice when watching pros on TV is that their alignment is almost always spot on so I just want to see if I can do that too.

Well, for a driver, there are white heads with black PVD faces that help

True Aim decals also  help.

For irons - I get behind the ball, draw a line with the shaft to my target - and you can actually see the outline in your eyes for a moment - it's some type of jedi mind trick - and you find your spot 6 inches in front of the ball and come around and line up to that spot for feet, and then go from there.

TourSpoon    180
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

For irons - I get behind the ball, draw a line with the shaft to my target - and you can actually see the outline in your eyes for a moment - it's some type of jedi mind trick - and you find your spot 6 inches in front of the ball and come around and line up to that spot for feet, and then go from there.

For irons, behind the ball I get...a line I see with my shaft to target...hmmm. Mind trick it is for the most powerful Jedi.

Great tip...intermediate target 6 inches that is on target line.

Paradox    26

I'll also add that some people subconsciously align their bodies to point at their target when it should be parallel to the target line.

I always do the intermediate target thing and set my clubface to it, then my body to the clubface.

boogielicious    1,159

I practice with alignment sticks and use the Nicklaus method.  I pick a spot just a few feet from my ball that lines up on the target line.  Then I make sure my feet are parallel to that line.  I step up to the ball with my feet together and line the club face to the spot.  Then I step my right foot back parallel.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this