IGNORED

My Swing (cipher)

cipher
Note: This thread is 927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking good bud.  Keep up the good work.  Your an inspiration to all of us

Thanks bud, I do appreciate that.  I think I am pretty close to my talent ceiling, and it is just all hard work that will move the needle a bit from here.

WOW, the Key #1 stuff on the backswing and transition looks great! Especially this pic. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Mike, it remains to be seen if I can translate this into a full swing, but it does look better.  Thanks again for your help and especially your video on getting more width a page or two back.  I literally have to "feel" like the club is pointing back behind me to some extent away from my target/start line.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="Jakester23" url="/t/65114/my-swing-cipher/972#post_1108621"]   Looking good bud.  Keep up the good work.  Your an inspiration to all of us :beer: [/QUOTE] Thanks bud, I do appreciate that.  I think I am pretty close to my talent ceiling, and it is just all hard work that will move the needle a bit from here.   [QUOTE name="mvmac" url="/t/65114/my-swing-cipher/972#post_1108748"]   WOW, the Key #1 stuff on the backswing and transition looks great! Especially this pic. Keep up the good work. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/114826/] [/URL] [/QUOTE] Thanks Mike, it remains to be seen if I can translate this into a full swing, but it does look better.  Thanks again for your help and especially your video on getting more width a page or two back.  I literally have to "feel" like the club is pointing back behind me to some extent away from my target/start line.

I doubt you're that close to your talent ceiling, unless you mean by only 3-4 strokes. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I doubt you're that close to your talent ceiling, unless you mean by only 3-4 strokes.

I would say I am within' 2-4 strokes of where I can be.  I am just aware that at this point the effort and work required to get there is that much more.

Nate

I would say I am within' 2-4 strokes of where I can be.  I am just aware that at this point the effort and work required to get there is that much more.

Yep......the difference between 4 and scratch is HUGE, in terms of talent as well as commitment necessary (for most of us mere mortals) to get there. I've pretty much accepted that I'll never get close, even though I dip into the low 4's a couple of times each year. Swing really looks sweet....nothing that I see that says scratch isn't doable for you, though!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Yep......the difference between 4 and scratch is HUGE, in terms of talent as well as commitment necessary (for most of us mere mortals) to get there. I've pretty much accepted that I'll never get close, even though I dip into the low 4's a couple of times each year.

Swing really looks sweet....nothing that I see that says scratch isn't doable for you, though!

Thanks, we will see.  My cap is not a reality right now and that is just honest.  I think we will see what it really is this year and what I can or can't do from there.

An attempt at translating the drill to a full speed swing.

Nate

• Administrator

Very nice Nate.

Don't overdo the hips forward during the backswing piece (teeny tiny bit overdone here perhaps), but… c'mon, you're allowed to say you're happy with that swing… as you should be!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Very nice Nate.

Don't overdo the hips forward during the backswing piece (teeny tiny bit overdone here perhaps), but… c'mon, you're allowed to say you're happy with that swing… as you should be!

Thanks. Yeah, the only thing I did differently from the one where I was extending up too much was to fix my address posture(a little more hips under and slouchy chest), and then I just felt it remain in the backswing.  I will admit(tough for me I know), that I am very happy with this swing overall.  This is the first year I have gone places over the winter to play and my swing is still there.  It is a very good sign for the season I think.  The driver will be fine.  My miss is the push to the right now and I can play with that all day. I am confident that I will at least be able to get around the course relatively well this year.  It should be a fun year.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

My swing got a bit fugly at the range yesterday(finally got outside to hit some balls), I was hooking the ball with the long clubs.  I think I need to create a checklist for whenever this happens as to what I need to check.  So here it is:

1. Is head and chest staying down and back in the BS(less upward extension)?

2. Where is the toe at A2?

3. Is the backswing too long?

4. Is there enough width?

5. Where are the hands, shaft and spine angles at A4?

6. Where is the shaft from A4 through A6(is the shaft shallowing in DS and the path going out like it should)?

7. How much does the head move by A7 and are the hips open enough.

Came in early this morning to work on it a bit.  This is still missing a bunch of these items, but it is much better than it was yesterday at the range.

Nate

• Administrator

6. Where is the shaft from A4 through A6(is the shaft shallowing in DS and the path going out like it should)?

For you, that list is perfect.

For now, don't worry about #7. I also have a #8 that you don't have to worry about right now: are you delivering too much shaft lean/does the club reach inline too late. The fix for the last one: hit balls with a 6-iron off a tee.

Worry about 1-6 right now. We sent that video to you, which cover those things.

My swing got a bit fugly at the range yesterday(finally got outside to hit some balls), I was hooking the ball with the long clubs.  I think I need to create a checklist for whenever this happens as to what I need to check.  So here it is:

Came in early this morning to work on it a bit.  This is still missing a bunch of these items, but it is much better than it was yesterday at the range.

WAY better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For you, that list is perfect.

For now, don't worry about #7. I also have a #8 that you don't have to worry about right now: are you delivering too much shaft lean/does the club reach inline too late. The fix for the last one: hit balls with a 6-iron off a tee.

Worry about 1-6 right now. We sent that video to you, which cover those things.

Okay thanks!

Revised checklist:

7. ( For Later )How much does the head move by A7 and are the hips open enough.

8. ( For Later ) A7 -  too much shaft lean/does the club reach inline too late

Nate

Great work Nate, overall it's SO MUCH better! Just keep chipping away and improving.

Okay thanks!

Revised checklist:

7. (For Later)How much does the head move by A7 and are the hips open enough.

8. (For Later) A7 -  too much shaft lean/does the club reach inline too late

Erik shared the video with me and very much agree with everything he said. Watch it a couple times for the demonstrations.

I want to just add this one piece, handle higher at A1. Try to point the butt of the club at your belt buckle. You're a little too far "down" at address and that can encourage the club to load up and out too much from A1-2 (Erik demonstrates that in the video).

Regarding checklist #1, yes less upward extension. Feel more in "flexion", like the torso is pointing down towards the ground longer rather than at the sky. Feel it more with the upper back/torso than the hips, don't want the hips transferring too far forward on the backswing. That'll help 3,4,5 and part of 6. If you kick in too much extension it's going to effect how far back the arms load, spread the elbows apart (not enough width) and can start to point the shaft more to the left (laid off). Obviously this swing wasn't laid off but I know that can be a tendency for you. The "less extension" backswing keeps those things in check.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Great work Nate, overall it's SO MUCH better! Just keep chipping away and improving.

Erik shared the video with me and very much agree with everything he said. Watch it a couple times for the demonstrations.

I want to just add this one piece, handle higher at A1. Try to point the butt of the club at your belt buckle. You're a little too far "down" at address and that can encourage the club to load up and out too much from A1-2 (Erik demonstrates that in the video).

Regarding checklist #1, yes less upward extension. Feel more in "flexion", like the torso is pointing down towards the ground longer rather than at the sky. Feel it more with the upper back/torso than the hips, don't want the hips transferring too far forward on the backswing. That'll help 3,4,5 and part of 6. If you kick in too much extension it's going to effect how far back the arms load, spread the elbows apart (not enough width) and can start to point the shaft more to the left (laid off). Obviously this swing wasn't laid off but I know that can be a tendency for you. The "less extension" backswing keeps those things in check.

Thanks Mike!  As usual I tend to overdo things.  I think I am somewhat afraid to go back this upright position that I was in last year before working with you guys or in Erie. So by nature I have gone too far the other way.

Thanks for the visual on the handle position. I will work on getting that handle raised hopefully just a bit and not too much. :-D

Yeah #1 on the list is still a major work in progress for me.  Thanks for the pointers there and the note on the hips.  I will keep working on it until it becomes natural.  I think the reality is if I can learn it and then become consistent with key#4 I will have a swing that I can finally play some golf with.  And maybe I work at that point on items 7&8 on that list.

Revised check list then adding the handle stuff:

7. ( For Later )How much does the head move by A7 and are the hips open enough.

8. ( For Later ) A7 -  too much shaft lean/does the club reach inline too late

9. Check handle position at A1(not too low).

For anyone just seeing the above list.  These are not really all things I am thinking about when making swings or practicing.  They are things I am looking for when viewing the swings on video.  I will be thinking about #9 at address for now and also I am really only working on a more short/compact #1 and swinging out/shallowing a bit in the DS when practicing.

Nate

For anyone just seeing the above list.  These are not really all things I am thinking about when making swings or practicing.  They are things I am looking for when viewing the swings on video.  I will be thinking about #9 at address for now and also I am really only working on a more short/compact #1 and swinging out/shallowing a bit in the DS when practicing.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Mainly trying to work on and check #2 and #3 this morning.  Tough to get in a full swing for me. It does seem to help #5 and #6 however.  I am hoping to improve my feel for A2 so I can make sure the face is too shut when working on #1 in the list.  I will probably head to the range over lunch and work on it some more.

Revised check list then adding the handle stuff:

7. (For Later)How much does the head move by A7 and are the hips open enough.

8. (For Later) A7 -  too much shaft lean/does the club reach inline too late

9. Check handle position at A1(not too low).

I forgot to turn the audio off, so you may want to turn the volume down... :-)

Nate

Carrying on too long in the BS on the range, but did not hit a single hook after working on a trying to feel more toe up at 2.  I think I can get back to the head/chest stuff and shallowing the shaft out now.

Nate

Those 2 shots looked smoked. It looks more toe up to me. What was the flight?

The 4 wood was a pretty straight/slight push fade.  My feet are aiming a bit left.  The driver was probably a slight pull fade. You can see it pretty well if you are able to watch it in the HD setting.  I want to work on getting that shaft flattened out a bit more than these swings along with the checklist #1 item for now as well.

Nate

Note: This thread is 927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!