IGNORED

My Swing (cipher)

cipher
Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can't you just open your shoulder line and hips and hit a little fade if you move the ball forward?

Yeah I have been trying that but I will hit shots that just start on my body line and hook left making the miss even worse at times. I think that in the end is probably the right setup though if I can eliminate that miss.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went away from even trying to hit draws with my driver. I can set up with the ball in the middle of my front foot. Pre-set my weight a little forward. Setup my hips ans shoulders at target and swing down that line. I usually hit it pretty straight with a baby fade. Once and a while ill pull it but it seems to fade more when I do that so the results aren't disastrous.

I went away from even trying to hit draws with my driver. I can set up with the ball in the middle of my front foot. Pre-set my weight a little forward. Setup my hips ans shoulders at target and swing down that line. I usually hit it pretty straight with a baby fade. Once and a while ill pull it but it seems to fade more when I do that so the results aren't disastrous.

Opened up a bit and moved the ball up a bit per @saevel25 with pretty decent results at the range today.  I don't think the ball is as forward as it looks in the video, I just think the camera angle is a bit left of where it should be...?  I felt like I was literally throwing a fishing line from the top but the picture is not changed much.  Much higher ball flight with some nice fades though.  I did get a couple pull hooks in about 50 balls but not bad.  I have a very hard time getting a feel for the proper tilt at address and keeping the head in place.  I really seem to struggle with this.

I feel like my ability to get off the tee consistently is literally the difference from where I am to about a 2 handicap or so.  The result of my iron swings are so much better this year with all the work that we have done.  Staying positive and looking forward to getting this on the right track and the results that will come from it.

Nate

• Administrator
I have a very hard time getting a feel for the proper tilt at address and keeping the head in place.  I really seem to struggle with this.

The video looks great. I know what you mean, but look at the video and do a little to convince yourself that you're better at this than you're giving yourself credit for being, mmmmkay? :)

I feel like my ability to get off the tee consistently is literally the difference from where I am to about a 2 handicap or so.  The result of my iron swings are so much better this year with all the work that we have done.  Staying positive and looking forward to getting this on the right track and the results that will come from it.

Driving is important. High SV. :) Keep staying positive - it's looking great.

Just remember too that the driver and irons are different swings. At your level, you'll have different key pieces to work on with each.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I need to get me some more of that ^^^^^^^^ with my swing.

Your swing is looking good.  It is always baffling to me when I see someone else do something (that I struggle with ) with ease.........It doesn't look that hard....why can't I do it..... :pound:

I can't even exaggerate shaft lean/flat wrist.  I can with no ball, but trying to hit the ball is something different.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakester23

Looks good to me bud keep grinding.

Thanks, and thanks for the thoughts on opening up.  I need to stick with that permanently.

The video looks great. I know what you mean, but look at the video and do a little to convince yourself that you're better at this than you're giving yourself credit for being, mmmmkay? :)

Am I catching an Office Space reference in there?  Haha.  Okay I will do that, it is looking a bit better, and the results are better as well.

Driving is important. High SV. :) Keep staying positive - it's looking great.

Just remember too that the driver and irons are different swings. At your level, you'll have different key pieces to work on with each.

I just got through the initial Driving is a high SV part. ;)  I think the fact that they are two different swings is what has been tripping me up a bit.  I like to do everything the same, I am sure everybody does.  It is weird to have two slightly different feeling swings.  I think it is in some ways harder now that my iron swing is at a place where it is pretty much down to some fine tuning.  I know that swing and what it is supposed to be and when I put the driver in the hands I want to feel that when I should not.

I really want to get to the point where I can hit a nice high drive almost every time that will carry 235-240ish on a normal day.  If it fades or draws a bit into the rough about 40% of the time I am good with that.

I need to get me some more of that ^^^^^^^^ with my swing.

Your swing is looking good.  It is always baffling to me when I see someone else do something (that I struggle with ) with ease.........It doesn't look that hard....why can't I do it.....

I can't even exaggerate shaft lean/flat wrist.  I can with no ball, but trying to hit the ball is something different.

"Golf is hard." ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the encouraging thoughts everyone!

Nate

"Golf is hard."

Touche...........

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Almost, but could not quite take the driver range work to the course today.  I did open up, put the ball forward, bump the hips and tried to throw the club from A4.  It was a bit better overall.  In seven drives I hit only a couple high fades and had a few low fades.  I was proving the high SV of drives this morning, as my other two drives were low hooks that cost me three strokes.  I sort of made up for the first bad drive by sticking a nine iron to two feet on a par 3. I was even going into the last hole when the second snap hook off the tee ended up costing me two strokes on that hole.  One of these days I will learn to hit the driver well on the course, can't wait for that day.

Nate

Almost, but could not quite take the driver range work to the course today.  I did open up, put the ball forward, bump the hips and tried to throw the club from A4.  It was a bit better overall.  In seven drives I hit only a couple high fades and had a few low fades.  I was proving the high SV of drives this morning, as my other two drives were low hooks that cost me three strokes.  I sort of made up for the first bad drive by sticking a nine iron to two feet on a par 3. I was even going into the last hole when the second snap hook off the tee ended up costing me two strokes on that hole.  One of these days I will learn to hit the driver well on the course, can't wait for that day.

This is huge for me as well.  If I am driving well, I can usually score well.  Certainly makes the game a lot more fun.

-Matt-

Driver swing looks great!  Head steady plus tilt at impact is something I'm working on too.  Very hard!  But your last video looks great.

And yeah, driving well makes the game so much easier.  And way more fun.  I feel much less frustrated hitting a solid drive, a not too bad approach that misses the green a bit, then making a decent attempt but not quite getting up and down, than I do hitting a crap drive, punching one out to 50 yards, pitching on, and two putting.  I may have bogeyed both holes but on the first I feel more like I'm playing "real" golf, giving myself multiple not too low percentage chances at par (GIR + 2-putt, up and down from just off the green), compared to grinding out a bogey, with the only chances at par a low percentage super close 50 yard pitch or a low percentage drained long putt.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Driver swing looks great!  Head steady plus tilt at impact is something I'm working on too.  Very hard!  But your last video looks great.

And yeah, driving well makes the game so much easier.  And way more fun.  I feel much less frustrated hitting a solid drive, a not too bad approach that misses the green a bit, then making a decent attempt but not quite getting up and down, than I do hitting a crap drive, punching one out to 50 yards, pitching on, and two putting.  I may have bogeyed both holes but on the first I feel more like I'm playing "real" golf, giving myself multiple not too low percentage chances at par (GIR + 2-putt, up and down from just off the green), compared to grinding out a bogey, with the only chances at par a low percentage super close 50 yard pitch or a low percentage drained long putt.

Thanks, yeah it is getting there.  Slowly, but it will get there.  Had one of the best driver range sessions I have had in a while at lunch today.  I was hitting the center of the face, hitting up on the ball launching it high and long with a nice little fade.  Maybe the stars aligned for that session, but sooner or later these results should start leaking over to the course.   It has to.  I know exactly what you are saying.   "Real golf" is more fun!

This is huge for me as well.  If I am driving well, I can usually score well.  Certainly makes the game a lot more fun.

QFT!

Nate

Played in my first match play event today.   We had a blast.  It was a club event that is a net partners match play event.  My partner and I ended up losing after 19 holes, it was a good match and a lot of fun.  I was putting very well, but my irons we off slightly all day.  I started off driving very well the last for or five driver holes I just just hooking like crazy and it probably cost us the match.  I had to give 10-11 strokes I believe to each of their guys.   It kind of sucked because I play this course bit  worse than my handicap usually because it is so hard, and I am pretty sure one of their guys was either a sandbagger or played the round of his life.  They have apparently made the finals twice.  Pretty happy with how I played overall, it kind of makes me realize that I am not really going to get any better though until I can stop losing strokes with the driver.

Nate

That's why the SV is so high on driving. Your a lot closer than you think just keep working on hitting a baby cut.

That's why the SV is so high on driving. Your a lot closer than you think just keep working on hitting a baby cut.

I am trying.  I think my lower body started slowing down as I was on the final holes and my hips were staying closed too long causing the path to move right too much.

Nate

• Administrator

Did your partner contribute anything? :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Did your partner contribute anything? :)

Yeah he did.  He tied them on a number of holes when I got in trouble and he even won a hole I think.  I relied on him a lot on the holes where everybody got strokes but me.  He is your typical over the top slicer though.  :)

Nate

Used the driver five times this morning, and the results are as follows: hook, hook, little draw, hook, hook.  Yep, I was trying to hit fades. :-D I have a tournament coming up soon and I am ****ed!

Nate

Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!